Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-15-2011, 12:10 AM   #16
oddvision
oddvision began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Ok, more data for you in case any of this helps.

I just tried to restart again. I held the key until the screen went gray (10 seconds). When I turned it on again, it took all of 8 seconds before the little circle on the top left stopped rotating. If I try to sync and check for new items in the menu (just in case), it tells me that my Kindle is unable to connect and to make sure I am within wireless range. I'm sitting 3 feet from my wi-fi and have full bars on my cell phone. It says (if problems persist) to restart the Kindle from the Menu in Settings. When I go into the Settings, hitting the Menu button does not do anything and there is no other option to restart.
oddvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:15 AM   #17
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddvision View Post
Pretty much the only managing I've done in Windows Explorer is to add the books I got from the Baen free library (or that I purchased from their website)... I just noticed the multiple copies when looking through the folder to make sure the new book copied into the Kindle documents folder.

A few times I had a book tell me that it had problems and I had to redownload it form Amazon which I did with no issues. This is the first time I've had this issue with a book that I got from Baen, and it seems to have frozen the entire thing...
Can you tell me the steps you took to get the books into calibre?

When you say you have 5 copies of the same book in calibre, but not on the Kindle, it makes me wonder if you imported from the Kindle's documents directory (as opposed to the steps I gave at 10:09) and accidentally imported some accessory files (like .mbp) as books... Such a file would show a title, but no author name or other metadata.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2011, 12:16 AM   #18
oddvision

And one more time... I tried to restart again, this time I held the off button for a full 30 seconds instead of just waiting until the screen went gray. This time, I got a status bar as it opened back up again...It's no longer frozen, and the book that I started having problems with is back on and working. WHEW!!!

Thank you again for all of your help!!
Old 05-15-2011, 12:20 AM   #19
oddvision

Ah, silly me... I got all the other versions by opening the Kindle file instead of doing it as you so kindly suggested... Now I can manage them correctly in Calibre.

Thank you again for helping - you deserve major karma points for this!!
Old 05-15-2011, 12:26 AM   #20
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ok, more data for you in case any of this helps.

I just tried to restart again. I held the key until the screen went gray (10 seconds). When I turned it on again, it took all of 8 seconds before the little circle on the top left stopped rotating. If I try to sync and check for new items in the menu (just in case), it tells me that my Kindle is unable to connect and to make sure I am within wireless range. I'm sitting 3 feet from my wi-fi and have full bars on my cell phone. It says (if problems persist) to restart the Kindle from the Menu in Settings. When I go into the Settings, hitting the Menu button does not do anything and there is no other option to restart.
Oh, my, you poor thing.

I'll re-read your posts in case I'm missing something, or maybe someone else will see it, but I'm starting to think it's a hardware problem or a hosed-up something.

Before I called CS, I'd wait for anyone else to chime in, and I'd:

1. If possible, on your Kindle, do a "search of my items" using a cray string, like xcxcxccxcx ... when the results pop up, make sure it doesn't say there are any books indexing.

2. I'd hook it up and look at it again... checking the files, especially recently added ones...

And if i called, then, before I took them up on an offer to replace it, I'd get a backup and do a reset to factory settings and start over from scratch.

But again, I might be missing something in all this others will catch. I'll re-read and keep thinking, though.
Advert
Old 05-15-2011, 12:34 AM   #21
Piper_
~~~~~

Quote:
Ah, silly me... I got all the other versions by opening the Kindle file instead of doing it as you so kindly suggested... Now I can manage them correctly in Calibre.

Well, that's good news.

We just need to see what's making your Kindle choke.

It might just not like those non-book files, if you had calibre send them to it somehow... although, I'm not even sure how that would be possible...

I think we might need to wait for the big guys to come help with that.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:36 AM   #22
Piper_
~~~~~

Quote:

Wish i could help more! We gotta get your kindle working.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:46 AM   #23
oddvision

It's working again!!(hooray!!) turns out I wasn't doing a hard restart by waiting until the screen went gray. This time I held the button while I counted to 30 seconds. This time, it took awhile to restart and gave me the Amazon Kindle screen with a progress bar. Now it's back up and I can see everything and read my books again - including the one that I had the problem with.

I think I confused the thing... [read 2 pages - wait, I wanted that Anne McAffrey book - go to Amazon store, buy book, assign to collection, and back into the Elizabeth Moon book. Read 4 pages - oops, I only bought the first in the trilogy - go back to Amazon store, buy next two books, assign to collection, and back into the Elizabeth Moon book. Read 6 pages - ok, very distracted now, etc....] Guess it serves me right for giving into my bad impulses and spending too much money on eBooks when I have the hard copies 4 feet behind me on my bookshelf. The trials of a bibliophile...

Thanks again - you've really been wonderful in helping me out here! Next up, updating the author and author sort fields so that I can finally sort by author...
Old 05-15-2011, 12:48 AM   #24
Piper_
~~~~~

Quote:
And one more time... I tried to restart again, this time I held the off button for a full 30 seconds instead of just waiting until the screen went gray. This time, I got a status bar as it opened back up again...It's no longer frozen, and the book that I started having problems with is back on and working. WHEW!!!

Thank you again for all of your help!!
Sheesh. I was just re-reading the thread, looking for what I'd missed that could be wrong with your Kindle, and see that I missed this one!

But that's great, and whew!
Old 05-15-2011, 12:50 AM   #25
Piper_
~~~~~

Quote:
It's working again!!(hooray!!) turns out I wasn't doing a hard restart by waiting until the screen went gray. This time I held the button while I counted to 30 seconds. This time, it took awhile to restart and gave me the Amazon Kindle screen with a progress bar. Now it's back up and I can see everything and read my books again - including the one that I had the problem with.

I think I confused the thing... [read 2 pages - wait, I wanted that Anne McAffrey book - go to Amazon store, buy book, assign to collection, and back into the Elizabeth Moon book. Read 4 pages - oops, I only bought the first in the trilogy - go back to Amazon store, buy next two books, assign to collection, and back into the Elizabeth Moon book. Read 6 pages - ok, very distracted now, etc....] Guess it serves me right for giving into my bad impulses and spending too much money on eBooks when I have the hard copies 4 feet behind me on my bookshelf. The trials of a bibliophile...

Thanks again - you've really been wonderful in helping me out here! Next up, updating the author and author sort fields so that I can finally sort by author...
Yeah, and if it was indexing books while you were using the browser, that could especially have set it off even more. Mine doesn't like me to mess with anything when it's indexing.

But glad you're fixed, and have fun!
Old 06-29-2011, 12:23 AM   #26
GeekyGal
Enthusiast
GeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle FireHD, Kindle3G, iPad, MacBook, iRex Illiad (ret)
I'm also having oddvision's issue of my Kindle 3 running the most current firmware not showing the Author for a very few books from Baen. Out of 40+ Baen downloads, 3 books show up on my Kindle with NO author. All Kindle books from other sources are fine.

Yes, I confirmed that author and author sort are both correct. When looking at the Kindle memory from Calibre, the author appears correct. It is only when the Kindle is disconnected that the author is not displayed. I downloaded the books from Baen to my Windows 7 machine [in non-zipped Kindle MOBI files] and added them to Calibre using Add Books from Single Directory, rather than the new Get Books feature. Two of the problem books came into Calibre 7.4 [ish]. The most recent is in Calibre 8.6. After adding some custom metadata and tags, I side load the books to the Kindle. Other books purchased at the same time are fine. I have rebooted the Kindle. I have deleted the books and re-loaded them. Still no author shown on those files. They sort at the end of an Author Sort on the Kindle.

Other than these three books, over 2,000 books in my Calibre library are all acting the way I expect them to, transferring on and off the Kindle at whim.

I'm letting Calibre manage all of my ebook files and not using Windows Explorer for any of these.

Ideas?

Thank you so much, Calibre team.
GeekyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:26 AM   #27
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
convert from MOBI to MOBI in calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote