Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-30-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
LittleRach
LittleRach got an A in P-Chem.LittleRach got an A in P-Chem.LittleRach got an A in P-Chem.LittleRach got an A in P-Chem.LittleRach got an A in P-Chem.LittleRach got an A in P-Chem.LittleRach got an A in P-Chem.LittleRach got an A in P-Chem.LittleRach got an A in P-Chem.LittleRach got an A in P-Chem.LittleRach got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
pdf to epub trouble

Hi everyone,
I've just downloaded Calibre as an alternative to the eReader software, because eReader kept renaming my files for me, which wasn't very helpful!

I have a Sony PRS-300 which I mainly want to use to read pdfs (I'm a student, and I can't read long documents on a pc screen, and i don't want to print them all out).

Some I can read OK, others not so OK.
So I've tried to convert them in calibre, but I'm having problems with the first page. Calibre thinks it's a cover and therefore a picture but because it's a journal article, it's just the start of the text. So when it converts it, I can't increase the text size of that all important first page.

I've found the settings bit in the conversion part of the programme, but i've no idea how to go about telling it that the first page isn't an image?

Any ideas?
LittleRach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:42 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, LittleRach.

Someone will post soon with some suggestions, I"m sure.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 07:52 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRach View Post
So I've tried to convert them in calibre, but I'm having problems with the first page. Calibre thinks it's a cover and therefore a picture but because it's a journal article, it's just the start of the text. So when it converts it, I can't increase the text size of that all important first page.
The creation of a cover does not replace that text with an image cover. The text that is seen as a cover should also be the next regular text page.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:38 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
That first page is probably a cover image generated by another pdf converter.
The actual text should be on the first page of the book.
Try checking remove first image and it should go away although you will probably have to either put in another cover or generate one to make it dissapear.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote