Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-15-2013, 02:57 AM   #1
sunny1z
Enthusiast
sunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo
sleepmode cover art

Hello,

I removed a book from the Kobo using the windows explorer because I wanted to replace it with a changed version of the epub book. I uploaded the new version of the book by using calibre.

When I read a few pages in the book and put the Kobo Glo into sleep mode it shows the book cover from another book (even though the book I read had a book cover attached.. and showed it on the screen before I deleted it)

Is there a correct procedure in adding and removing books. I thought one could do it with calibre and with explorer...

Any ideas what caused the wrong cover display
sunny1z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:24 AM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny1z View Post
Is there a correct procedure in adding and removing books. I thought one could do it with calibre and with explorer...
You can add books just by copying them onto the device with Windows Explorer, using Calibre, etc. The books are actually added to the Kobo's database by the device itself when you unplug it from the USB port.

If you delete a book from the device (by selecting the menu icon next to the book in the library listing) then it will be properly removed from the database, and all the cached image files are removed too. You should be OK if you use Calibre to remove the book from the device too (I haven't tried that). But I think you can expect problems if you just delete the epub file with Windows Explorer, as the database may not be updated, and there may be old image files left on the device.

I can't say whether that is the cause of the wrong cover in sleep mode, others have reported this problem but I have never encountered it. I always delete books from the device's book menu, never any other way.

Last edited by GeoffR; 01-15-2013 at 03:26 AM. Reason: clarification
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:29 AM   #3
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
You can add books just by copying them onto the device with Windows Explorer, using Calibre, etc. The books are actually added to the Kobo's database by the device itself when you unplug it from the USB port.

If you delete a book from the device (by selecting the menu icon next to the book in the library listing) then it will be properly removed from the database, and all the cached image files are removed too. You should be OK if you use Calibre to remove the book from the device too (I haven't tried that). But I think you can expect problems if you just delete the epub file with Windows Explorer, as the database may not be updated, and there may be old image files left on the device.

I can't say whether that is the cause of the wrong cover in sleep mode, others have reported this problem but I have never encountered it. I always delete books from the device's book menu, never any other way.
ACtually thats interesting. I have seen this on the touch and the glo. the firmware version 2.3.2 . So I wonder if this maybe a blip in the firmware?

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:02 AM   #4
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
ACtually thats interesting. I have seen this on the touch and the glo. the firmware version 2.3.2 . So I wonder if this maybe a blip in the firmware?
You mean the wrong sleep mode cover problem? The closest thing I have seen to this is that since fw 2.3.1 somtimes a book does not get immediately marked as being read after being opened, so if I close it straight away it is still marked unread in the library. If I put the glo to sleep at that point then it shows the default sleep mode screen rather then the cover of the book I just opened, but that is the correct behaviour I guess considering it thinks the book is still unread. If I read a bit further then it gets marked with the percentage read, and sleep mode shows the proper cover.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:13 AM   #5
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
You mean the wrong sleep mode cover problem? The closest thing I have seen to this is that since fw 2.3.1 somtimes a book does not get immediately marked as being read after being opened, so if I close it straight away it is still marked unread in the library. If I put the glo to sleep at that point then it shows the default sleep mode screen rather then the cover of the book I just opened, but that is the correct behaviour I guess considering it thinks the book is still unread. If I read a bit further then it gets marked with the percentage read, and sleep mode shows the proper cover.
Yes the wrong sleep cover artwork. Not sure what causeses this but its apparent on two seperate machines. With different book collections and one of which does only has a small number of books. no where near the 3000 on my glo which I could see being delayed marked as read... but that said.....

regards

Jack
Old 01-15-2013, 08:06 AM   #6
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
See this thread. I think that if you select the Cover while reading a book (accessing it from the Table of Contents, for example) it will then show the correct cover in sleep mode.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #7
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
See this thread. I think that if you select the Cover while reading a book (accessing it from the Table of Contents, for example) it will then show the correct cover in sleep mode.
I will do that. Interesting method which definately indicates a bug if you have to jump through the hoops to get there.

Thanks for the advice

Regards

Jack