Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 04-22-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Dropbox Rather than Content Server?

I know about the great option of using the Content Server to have my books always available. But I know someone here does it through Dropbox, and I think she wasn't using the Content Server. I have looked and looked, but can't find who it was. Can someone help point me to the right place?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:28 AM   #2
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
You are looking for http://calibre2opds.com/

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=171085
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
Joanna
Groupie
Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

Device: none
I am one of those using Dropbox to store my e-books, and I am perfectly fine with it. I don't use Content Server or Calibre2opds - I simply store my Calibre library in my Dropbox so that I have the same e-books on my both computers. This way, I also have a copy of books in the cloud - admittedly, it wouldn't be very easy to use because it mirrors the Calibre folder structure which is not a convenient way to browse through book, but at least my books are always available. Furthermore, I can use Dropbox search engine to find books if I know their titles or authors - again, far from the comfort that Calibre gives me, but just enough for use "on the way".

//EDIT

I've started reading more about Calibre2opds and it seems like a really good solution. Read the manual on publishing your library on Dropbox (scroll to the bottom).
http://calibre2opds.com/read-the-doc...lish-catalogs/

Last edited by Joanna; 04-23-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't want to leave the Content Server running. Is there a way to download a book from dropbox to my kindle? I plan to make dropbox my primary library. It is too big to download all the books on my kindle. But I would like to be able to get a book from dropbox onto my kindle.

I know somebody, like Blossum? or theducks? was doing this, but I'll be darned if I can find the discussion.

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
To get books from DropBox onto my Kindle(s) I use the Kindle's web browser to go to Dropbox.com and login then browse to the book I want and download. Once downloaded it shows up on my device home page.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Thank you - just what I wanted! Seems easier than leaving content server running, although I won't get the wonderful interface that Calibre brings.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #7
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
To get books from DropBox onto my Kindle(s) I use the Kindle's web browser to go to Dropbox.com and login then browse to the book I want and download. Once downloaded it shows up on my device home page.
Oak, they are in folders by author's name, correct? So I have to know the author's name?

I just know I might want a thriller, or political book next. Maybe content server is my only option.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:41 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I just know I might want a thriller, or political book next. Maybe content server is my only option.
You could do a Calibre2OPDS catalog to download from. That would let you look by Author, Tags (if entered), Series (if entered), etc.

Here's a write up on Calibre2OPDS and the Kindle...
http://www.geekvixen.com/archives/1761
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:46 PM   #9
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
You could do a Calibre2OPDS catalog to download from. That would let you look by Author, Tags (if entered), Series (if entered), etc.

Here's a write up on Calibre2OPDS and the Kindle...
http://www.geekvixen.com/archives/1761
This is sooo cool, thank you, thank you, thank you! I love that it is multiple steps - it will keep me out of trouble tonight, as the Cubs played (and lost, but won the series!) today.