Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-09-2010, 04:46 AM   #31
happysnapper22
Connoisseur
happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2 & PW3
Did you expect it

Did you honestly expect the local council to be on the ball and provide such a service? eBooks are beyond the wit of the clueless idiots that run the councils in the UK.

Mills & Boon for the OAPs only - local libraries should have been closed down years ago, terminally useless.
happysnapper22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:21 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by happysnapper22 View Post
Did you honestly expect the local council to be on the ball and provide such a service? eBooks are beyond the wit of the clueless idiots that run the councils in the UK.

Mills & Boon for the OAPs only - local libraries should have been closed down years ago, terminally useless.
My local village library is excellent.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2010, 07:50 AM   #33
K8Ereader
Connoisseur
K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I've always been lucky with public libraries, no way I'd be here without the one I grew up with (in it most of the time). I've also had temporary borrowing facilities with others when visiting relatives, at no charge.

They do need to consider those folks who like Mills and Boons too you know!

ebooks will come to most libraries in time, as demand rises, and availability improves. I shall cultivate patience, and 3 ebooks at a time, if you can return them early, seems quite generous!
K8Ereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:58 AM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
The limit is 3 items at a time in the Essex library I think.
I saw this "return" option on ADE, but how does it really work? Even if I return the book from ADE, won't it still work on my reader?
If the eBook is already on your reader and you return the one on your computer via ADE, the one on your reader will still work until it's expiry date.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:47 PM   #35
Pangolin
Pangolin
Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 2
I spend some time in Brighton and my parents live there. A new, all bells and whistles library opened recently, the Jubilee, and when I mailed them to ask if they had an ebook section I got a one line reply, 'no and no plans to start one up'. A bit curt and very shortsighted.

Hmmmmm; i've tried to register with Essex on line, with my parents Brighton address, figured that would disturb them less than my Belgian add. Let's see. Or rather, I'll see - bit boring if its not your problem.
Pangolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2010, 04:02 PM   #36
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
Hmmmmm; i've tried to register with Essex on line, with my parents Brighton address, figured that would disturb them less than my Belgian add. Let's see. Or rather, I'll see - bit boring if its not your problem.
It's been a while, but don't you get an ELAN number by email (or directly when the registration's submitted)? Just use that as the ID needed by the library web-site - no need for anything via any physical address from what i recall.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:16 AM   #37
happysnapper22
Connoisseur
happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2 & PW3
Then pay for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My local village library is excellent.
Harry, am truly delighted that you believe the service from your local library is good. My local library is useless and in any case if i wanted a book i would never even bother going to the library.

Libraries are NOT vital services that we all fund because we MAY need them one day, its not like the Fire Service, Ambulance ETC. Its an entertainment service it could and should be funded by the people that use the service. I fail to see why I should fund the local library, its a service I neither need want or have the slightest intention of ever using.

I put it to you that if it were a paid for service that had to cover its costs from customers the cost would be so high that nobody would use the service.

Yes I did ask my local library if they offer eBooks - NO they dont!
happysnapper22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:06 PM   #38
Pangolin
Pangolin
Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry happysnapper but I couldn't disagree with you more. A well designed and structured library provides people, kids especially, with the opportunity to explore worlds to which they may have no access at all otherwise.

What does a child do that comes from a family in which a book is the latest copy of Hello, if they're lucky? Social mobility and the success of an economy go hand in hand and access to books, I would suggest, boosts social mobility. Anyway, I think its a basic human right.

I'm just fine with my taxes funding public libraries. They need all the cash they can get.

Sorry for disagreeing, but you hit a nerve : ^)
Old 01-10-2010, 05:52 PM   #39
spideog
Connoisseur
spideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-300
Have to agree with Pangolin. Haven't made any use of a library for many, many years until the last few weeks with the discovery that they also now do ebooks, but they were without doubt very important as a child.
spideog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:48 PM   #40
Pangolin
Pangolin

Just to say, you can take books out of Essex county library irrespective of where you live, easy to register on line - thanks Essex : )
Old 01-12-2010, 05:23 PM   #41
mcallister1
mcallister1 began at the beginning.

Device: sony pocket
I have borrowed some books from Essex- I can't work out how to return them early, it says you can't, so if anyone can point me in the directin of how to do it I'd be grateful.
Anyway, I had to laugh at the 'Literature' section as whoever ordered the books decided that out of the 25 available for the sony, 4 should be Virgina Woolf- yes 4. Unsurprisingly they are the only ones which are always available...
I like that you can reduce the loan period to 7 or 14 days- I have also found that I can use the library cards of the rest of my family, including children, to borrow books from them.
Having confessed that, I do hope that you can't borrow them from anywhere. Its my council taxes that are paying for them and if everyone in the country can get access,then that isn't very fair on Essex. We need all the culture we can get down here, and our libraries are really good- Essex books for Essex people!!!
Finally thanks to all the posters here- this is my first post but I have lurked for a bit and found so many helpful tips.
mcallister1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:55 PM   #42
spideog
Connoisseur
spideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcallister1 View Post
I have borrowed some books from Essex- I can't work out how to return them early, it says you can't, so if anyone can point me in the directin of how to do it I'd be grateful.
In Adobe Digital Editions in the Library View, click the little > at the top left of the book you want to return and you'll then get the option to return it early.
spideog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:19 AM   #43
Laurentiu
Connoisseur
Laurentiu has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 2, Sony PRS-600 (no longer used)
Hi there,

I started borrowing books from my library and everything went fine until this weekend, when I checked out a few books and, after I browsed them, I decided to keep three on my reader, then I returned them all at the same time.

From that moment, whenever I try to download another book I get this error message:
Error code: * * 710
Error details: *Early return error
I contacted teh library, who suggested to get in touch with Overdrive.com directly. I wrote overdrive an e-mail and, after going back and forth several times, they still could not figure out what happened or how to fix it. Right now I cannot borrow any books anymore because of this.

Have you ever experienced this? Any thoughts/ideas?

Thanks,
Laurentiu
Laurentiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:55 AM   #44
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I'm not sure if this will exactly relate to your problem but there was a member some time ago who used to check out library books quite frequently. I believe the member used to read a book a day and would typically check out 5-10 books at a time then at the end of a week return all the books they had read at one time. When returning a bunch of books at the same time or returning so many books over a short time frame it gave the error that they could not return any further books until a certain time limit elapsed. I do not know if they were allowed to download more books. This error may be different from your error but may provide help in figuring out your problem.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:15 PM   #45
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I live in Oregon, and the Deschutes County Library serves our (very large) region. They use Overdrive and support download of AudioBooks. From the library web site, I don't think they know EBooks exist. EMails asking about their plans in this area have not been returned...

There are no libraries within 500 miles that do support download of EBooks.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote