Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-07-2010, 10:34 AM   #16
spideog
Connoisseur
spideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-300
Thanks.
spideog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:37 AM   #17
K8Ereader
Connoisseur
K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
This was where I joined: http://www.essexcc.gov.uk/vip8/ecc/E...guideOid=15195

Hope you get on OK

Sorry cross posted, but when I tried to find where I'd been it was fairly convoluted!
This is where I got to the Overdrive section:
http://www.essexcc.gov.uk/vip8/ecc/E...tentOid=140946

Last edited by K8Ereader; 01-07-2010 at 10:42 AM.
K8Ereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2010, 01:14 PM   #18
naquada
naquada began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Touch
I asked Reading Council to look into it.. given that we're Berkshire and dont have the overdrive ebook lending for our huge library.. but west berkshire does for it's small library!!

amazingly they said they thought it was a good idea.. and would look into it...

so fingers crossed.. we might get it in Reading.. 'officially'
naquada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:33 PM   #19
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8Ereader View Post
Thanks for your help, I'm at least allowed to place things in basket now! Looking good for borrowing my first ebook by the end of the day...if I can decide...

And it worked! Thanks again. Didn't need the username, just the reference number, odd but there you go.
I had the choice of 7, 14 or 21 day loan which was an unexpected bonus
You can also 'return' ePub books early if you want to (which mean you can then borrow another) via either the Sony software or the Adobe DE software (or possibly either).
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:14 AM   #20
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
You can also 'return' ePub books early if you want to (which mean you can then borrow another) via either the Sony software or the Adobe DE software (or possibly either).
I don't have my reader yet so I haven't actually borrowed a book from the library yet. Your post makes it sound as if you can only have one eBook checked out at a time, is that the case? If so it is less useful than with pBooks but still great.

With pBooks I often get 2 or 3 at a time so I've always got the next one lined up. I'll just have to be able to get to a computer to checkout the next eBook right away before the withdrawal symptoms get too bad.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2010, 09:19 AM   #21
spideog
Connoisseur
spideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enough

The couple of online libraries using Overdrive that I have managed to sign up for let you check out up to 10 items each at a time.

You can put yourself in the queue for items that are already checked out by someone else as well and then you just have to get back online and download that item within a couple of days before it goes to the next person in the queue.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:24 AM   #22
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
The limit is 3 items at a time in the Essex library I think.
I saw this "return" option on ADE, but how does it really work? Even if I return the book from ADE, won't it still work on my reader?
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:25 AM   #23
naquada
naquada began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Touch
unless Reading gets ebook borrowing... do libraries charge for the ebooks.. (reading charges for dvds and other digital media.. but not printed books) and any idea of costs if they do ?
naquada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:43 AM   #24
spideog
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
Looks like I wasn't paying attention on the Essex site, it is only three items at a time from them, I get 10 from my other library though, except their selection is not quite a big by the looks of it and they appear to only have one copy of each item anyway.
Quote:
I saw this "return" option on ADE, but how does it really work? Even if I return the book from ADE, won't it still work on my reader?
I just deletes it from the PC for me when I return the book. If you've copied it to the reader using ADE though I suspect it will make you reconnect the reader before it will let you return the book as it will know there is still a copy on there.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:03 PM   #25
CarolC
CarolC began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I have also been wondering how to borrow ebooks from the public library. Isn't it possible to borrow from any library in the country via the internet?
CarolC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:12 PM   #26
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolC View Post
I have also been wondering how to borrow ebooks from the public library. Isn't it possible to borrow from any library in the country via the internet?
You usually need a valid library card, often involving a fee, from your local or regional library to borrow books. Since your taxes go to pay for most libraries you are generally restricted to the area you pay taxes in. (There may be some libraries you can join which are not geographically restricted, but also require a fee.)

Since you have a Sony PRS-600 it would be easiest to use Library Finder for a library near you.

*edit* that's if you are in the US or Canada
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:22 PM   #27
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by spideog View Post
I just deletes it from the PC for me when I return the book. If you've copied it to the reader using ADE though I suspect it will make you reconnect the reader before it will let you return the book as it will know there is still a copy on there.
It won't make you reconnect the Reader before returning the book, but if you return the book then connect your Reader to ADE it will see you still have the book on your device and will delete the content. I usually download one or two books at a time, transfer them to my Reader, disconnect my Reader then return the books. I won't reconnect the Reader to ADE until I've read both books.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:38 PM   #28
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
No fees for registering or for borrowing ebooks/audiobooks in my experience (uk). In principle you should live or work in a specific area to use the library, but since my local library doesn't support ebooks yet, and the essex library let me register with my real non-essex address, I figure there's no harm done.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:44 PM   #29
spideog
Connoisseur

Yep, no fees for the libraries in Ireland for me either. But as I also have a UK address, just happen to not have paid taxes there for quite a while, so I made use of the Essex library registration as well.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:51 PM   #30
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Yes, 3 at a time.

It would, I think - there's no auto-deletion or any requirement to have the Reader connected but I've not tried to see what happens when it next connects. It's useful though, as it means you don't need to wait till the loan period expires before being able to select a new title, so the limit of 3's not as bad as it could have been.

Last edited by gwynevans; 01-08-2010 at 06:54 PM.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote