Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 03-14-2006, 06:26 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
ActiveSync becomes Vista Mobile Device Center

I wonder, is the name changing because the functionality is new, or because people are so frustrated with synching problems with ActiveSync?

Either way, when you move from Windows XP to Windows Vista, be prepared to start using Vista Mobile Device Center.

Here's the Microsoft summary... "Windows Mobile Device Center is the new name for ActiveSync in Microsoft® Windows Vista™, and provides overall device management features for your Windows Mobile-based devices in Windows Vista, including smartphones and pocket PCs. All of the features previously available in ActiveSync are available in Windows Vista, including synchronization and setting up your partnership. However, most of the user interface has changed in an effort to enhance your ability to easily and intuitively find device-related tasks and improve the overall usability of those tasks."

I wouldn't depend on this new name to mean all problems are fixed - the current release has the following "minor" issue: "Disconnecting the device from while the Connection Settings dialog box is open may hang the dialog box and become unresponsive."

But to be fair, Vista has not even been released, and Mobile Device Center has only partially been implemented. Microsoft also has a pretty good track record of improvements over time with Windows Mobile, despite some expected bumps in the road with the introduction of WM5.0.

Via Mobility Site.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:53 PM   #2
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
I bet Vista Mobile Device Center doesnt allow WiFi Sync. All the WM5 devices must use AS 4+, and M$ removed WiFi sync. Thank goodness I still have WM2003SE. WM5 also used the microsoft BT stack instead of Widcomm stack so WM5 users are none too happy about BT for the most part.
Advert
Old 03-16-2006, 10:49 PM   #3
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
But can it sync a PalmOS device? (previously sung to the tune of "But can it run Linux?")
Old 06-13-2007, 01:41 AM   #4
tbrasch
tbrasch began at the beginning.

Device: Compaq Ipaq 3800
Vista and handheld pc sync

Having been an avid activesync user for the past 8 years or so, the new vista system on my desktop is a bit frustrating. Any solutions on syncing outlook with a Compaq Ipaq 3800 successfully?

tbrasch
Old 10-14-2007, 09:03 PM   #5
WWWahl
WWWahl began at the beginning.

Device: iPAQ 3800
iPAQ 3800 and Vista

Has anyone been able to sync an iPAQ 3800 with Vista?

Thanks,
Wayne
Advert
Old 10-15-2007, 05:47 AM   #6
Linley Meslier
Enthusiast
Linley Meslier began at the beginning.

Device: Eten M500+WM5 - HTC S620+WM6 - Dell Axim X5
Windows Mobile Device Center supports Windows Mobile 2003 and above. Your device will only sync to a PC running Windows XP and Activesync.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:53 AM   #7
rivergod
rivergod began at the beginning.

Device: iMate SP3
Cool MS.... yay

So, I've got lovely Vista and the lovely WMDC. Pitty my phone won't sync. MS Smartphone 2003SE (iMate SP3). I can connect to it, but syncing contacts and calendar. I keep getting a message saying I should re-install outlook. I've done everything I could think of and some things I didn't think of ( ). Do I reinstall all the software my phone to get it working? Anyone else encountered these problems??
Old 10-31-2007, 11:58 AM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivergod View Post
So, I've got lovely Vista and the lovely WMDC. Pitty my phone won't sync. MS Smartphone 2003SE (iMate SP3). I can connect to it, but syncing contacts and calendar. I keep getting a message saying I should re-install outlook. I've done everything I could think of and some things I didn't think of ( ). Do I reinstall all the software my phone to get it working? Anyone else encountered these problems??
You must have outlook just like the error message says. WMDC does not support the Vista versions. It only supports outlook and I believe it must be 2003 or later but I have not verified that.

Dale
Old 11-01-2007, 02:56 AM   #9
rivergod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
You must have outlook just like the error message says. WMDC does not support the Vista versions. It only supports outlook and I believe it must be 2003 or later but I have not verified that.

Dale
Thansk for the response Dale. I've got Vista Business version, I've got outlook 2007 on my PC, my phone is running Windows Mobile 2003SE. Funny thing is it sync'd for a week or so. Then it started giving me grief. All I can think to do now is reload my phone (mission) or phone M$ and bitch till they send out a patch. Anyone ... any suggestions aside from what I'm contemplating doin'??
Old 11-01-2007, 12:08 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivergod View Post
Thansk for the response Dale. I've got Vista Business version, I've got outlook 2007 on my PC, my phone is running Windows Mobile 2003SE. Funny thing is it sync'd for a week or so. Then it started giving me grief. All I can think to do now is reload my phone (mission) or phone M$ and bitch till they send out a patch. Anyone ... any suggestions aside from what I'm contemplating doin'??
You might try backup of the outlook and then erase all the stuff in it and see if it will sync ok. It is possible that there is an entry in outlook that it does not like. You may also narrow down the problem by changing what you allow to sync. You may want to visit the ActiveSync news group on usenet. It has quite a few people dealing with WMDC.

Dale
Old 11-01-2007, 03:03 PM   #11
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm still using a PDA running Pocket PC 2003, and a Windows 2000 PC. You guys are giving me nightmares...
Old 11-01-2007, 04:11 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I'm still using a PDA running Pocket PC 2003, and a Windows 2000 PC. You guys are giving me nightmares...
If you think you have nightmares, think about me as trying to support this stuff. I run XP personally and have no desire to move to Vista.

Dale
Old 11-01-2007, 10:36 PM   #13
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
If you think you have nightmares, think about me as trying to support this stuff. I run XP personally and have no desire to move to Vista.

Dale
Trust me... I used to support a small office of PCs, and had to impose Win2k on all of them for consistency's sake. It still sucked. No, I don't envy you.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:53 AM   #14
rivergod

Quote:
You might try backup of the outlook and then erase all the stuff in it and see if it will sync ok. It is possible that there is an entry in outlook that it does not like. You may also narrow down the problem by changing what you allow to sync. You may want to visit the ActiveSync news group on usenet. It has quite a few people dealing with WMDC.

Dale
YAY! This seems to have done the trick. I can't believe I didn't think of it. Ta!
Old 11-19-2007, 10:18 PM   #15
a2cntryboy
a2cntryboy began at the beginning.

Device: Ipaq h4705
Is there a way to get (the core media player TCMP) onto my device using vist the setup file keeps trying to use activesync.