Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 10-05-2009, 02:31 PM   #1
BeTePoK
Guru
BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Best tool for creating pdf's?

Just wondering which is the best tool to create your own pdf e-books from *.doc, *.txt or *.rtf? One important note: it must support cyrillic (i.e. Russian language).
Any help will be appreciated!
BeTePoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:57 PM   #2
orion2001
Groupie
orion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505
Hi there,

I just started experimenting with making PDF ebooks using Word 2007 (any wordprocessor would do to be honest) and Acrobat Pro to generate the PDFs. Again, any free PDF software will also do just fine. I think the key is to have the page size match your reader. Looking at Jellby's excellent PDF ebooks, I've learnt that 3.54 inches by 4.72 inches works really well for a page size (with no margins). Once you have the WORD document formatted exactly the way you want, you can then just convert to PDF (make sure that the page size is retained).

The neat thing with PDFs is that all the formatting will be exactly as in your Word file so you do a lot of fancy things like Drop caps, etc and have it show up in your PDF. I also find that with a properly formatted PDF for the PRS-505, the page turns are almost as fast as LRF files.

The advantages are that the formatting looks better (if you put in a bit of work in your original Word file) and you can also get true full page justification with hyphenation (which looks far better than the LRF justification). The flip size ofcourse is that changing the font size makes things look terrible so you have to be content with reading the whole book in one font size (not an issue for me).
orion2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2009, 03:36 AM   #3
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeTePoK View Post
Just wondering which is the best tool to create your own pdf e-books from *.doc, *.txt or *.rtf? One important note: it must support cyrillic (i.e. Russian language).
Any help will be appreciated!
Although I'm late to the discussion, I'll try and help. I use StarOffice 8.0 (SO) to make my PDFs. SO is basically an office suite like Microsoft Office and features a word processor (Writer), a spreadsheet (Calc), a presentation program (Impress), and a drawing program (Draw). Although it doesn't feature a database, Calc can provide many database functions. I checked SO and it does provide support for the cyrillic language (it is listed as an available language). BTW, OpenOffice.org is a free program that is basically an open source version of SO and should work the same.

With SO, you have everything you need to make PDF ebooks. Writer is able to open all of the formats that you listed. It can also open up HTML files and more than 100 other formats, including many old word processing formats (such as Wordstar 3.3). It allows you to export your documents as PDF files.

When I make a PDF ebook what I normally do is open up the file, save it as an OpenDocument Text (ODT) file (the default format for SO8), format the ODT file for my ereader, and then export it to PDF. When I'm editing the ebook, if I set the view to "Print Layout" my editing screen will match the screen of my ebook reader so I can see exactly what my ebook will look like on my reader.

SO makes it extremely easy to make PDF ebooks. I can take a basic text file and have it ready for my reader in about 2 minutes (set the page size, set the font and line spacing for the text, and then export it to PDF).
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:13 PM   #4
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

I use PDFLaTeX whenever I can-- in order to get professional hinting, kerning, hyphenation, ligatures, and general combination of ease of use and typographic power.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:28 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Problem with latex is that you must learn a mark-up language...

I've played with latex ages ago, what I remember is that it was fairly hard to do correctly... (it might have changed though!)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2009, 09:00 AM   #6
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

There's a fairly steep learning curve at first. But it's worth it. Check out the beauty of TeX or the TeX showcase.

You can use its typography without the mark-up language with LyX, however.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:05 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I use Framemaker from Adobe. It can create tagged PDF files with all the trimmings done right. It uses Adobe Distiller to do the job.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:34 PM   #8
NickW
NickW has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NickW has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NickW has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NickW has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android
I create my PDFs with the free software available here.

Pdf995, once installed, appears in your word processors as a virtual printer: print your txt, rtf, doc, jpeg or whatever to a new PDF, and you can select the "paper size" as with hardcopy printing.

PdfEdit995, which opens separately, allows adding of tags, properties and bookmarks to the most recent PDF created. It's far from perfect, and any serious mistake will require printing the file again - but it works.

This software is damn good, considering that it's completely free!
NickW is offline   Reply With Quote