Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-18-2021, 09:45 PM   #1
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
"class="calibre"" in the <html header line?

I've recently noticed that when converting from .odt to epub, I'm getting the following at the top of each html file:
Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" class="calibre">
I don't know exactly when I first noticed this; I'm now on 5.16 (Ubuntu 20.04) and it's still there.

Can someone tell me if a class code actually belongs there? Or is this a bug?
Thanks!
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 10:23 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There will be a class there if the input document has some styling for the html tag. Its nto a bug, though the thoroughly useless epubcheck will complain about it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2021, 11:55 PM   #3
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah. Thanks you! Probably yet another update to Writer added this. Time for another saved search to run on new conversions...
Old 06-19-2023, 02:33 AM   #4
ballistyx
ballistyx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle android app
Will it ruin my book if I remove this class from all the chapters?
If the "calibre" styles are essential, then I suppose I could always use html { margin: 0; padding: 0;} and avoid the need for a class identifier in the html tag...
ballistyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 05:41 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballistyx View Post
If the "calibre" styles are essential, then I suppose I could always use html { margin: 0; padding: 0;} and avoid the need for a class identifier in the html tag...
Inline styles are a bad idea.
Classes is how ebooks should be built.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2023, 10:09 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
define Once, use many.
Class="whatever" is the USE

.whatever { <styling stuff here> } is the definition.
Make a change in ONE single place and all the uses are done
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 10:44 AM   #7
retiredbiker
Addict

Quote:
No it won't hurt to remove it. That is what I've been doing ever since it started.
Old 06-20-2023, 07:19 AM   #8
ballistyx
ballistyx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle android app
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbiker View Post
No it won't hurt to remove it. That is what I've been doing ever since it started.
Thx
Just plain old snipping it out? No requirement to add those margins & padding anywhere else then?

i.e. adding
Code:
html { margin: 0; padding: 0;}
to the css
ballistyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 08:58 AM   #9
retiredbiker
Addict

Quote:
Thx
Just plain old snipping it out? No requirement to add those margins & padding anywhere else then?

i.e. adding
Code:
html { margin: 0; padding: 0;}
to the css
I put a small margin in the <body>, that's all.
Old 06-21-2023, 08:08 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I put no margin in the body. That's so the margin can be set by the Reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 12:13 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Back when I was using my first reader (Astak), I set skewed side margins: 2pt, 16pt, because RMSDK put block numbers on the right that stomped upon any text there. (I also set BODY font to 1.2em to make those numbers appear small. There was a REASON. No longer really needed.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 01:25 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Back when I was using my first reader (Astak), I set skewed side margins: 2pt, 16pt, because RMSDK put block numbers on the right that stomped upon any text there. (I also set BODY font to 1.2em to make those numbers appear small. There was a REASON. No longer really needed.
Same issue when Sony first added RMSDK to the 505. I don't remember the margin used for the right side. I also remember when some commercial eBooks had a wider right margin bag in the good old days.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote