Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #16
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
The problem with drop-caps, is that they require some individual tweaking, and that's only effective if you know the exact font, font size and page size... which goes against the ebook philosophy. Without font embedding and fixed layout, all solutions are only good-enough, and sometimes that's not enough.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:56 PM   #17
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
The problem with drop-caps, is that they require some individual tweaking, and that's only effective if you know the exact font, font size and page size... which goes against the ebook philosophy. Without font embedding and fixed layout, all solutions are only good-enough, and sometimes that's not enough.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, Jellby:

Better to have dropped and lost then ne'er to ha' dropped a'tall.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2012, 02:17 AM   #18
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I will certainly not argue with the fact that a successful dropcap implementation requires extra care and tweaking, including knowing the exact font used. I am not so sure why it would require a fixed layout even if it's true that a standard EPUB, with its ragged (non justified) text is not the nicest format to go along with drop caps.

But why argue about "ebook philosophy"? This is maybe going a little too far. After all, one of the features of EPUB3 is to allow a fixed layout for enriched texts. So, I cannot see why dropcaps should be condamned for philosophy or principle reasons. They are part of the game. Ragged text will disappear from the EPUBs of tomorrow long before the dropcaps do.

Further, two more twoliners exemples coming from a printed book with the "unaccceptable" Q behaviour (Q is often very tricky...) and a drop cap with a previous quote mark.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lettre M avec guillemet.png
Views:	176
Size:	296.5 KB
ID:	92536   Click image for larger version

Name:	Q dropcap.png
Views:	199
Size:	380.2 KB
ID:	92537  

Last edited by roger64; 09-18-2012 at 03:00 AM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:34 AM   #19
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
But why argue about "ebook philosophy"? This is maybe going a little too far. After all, one of the features of EPUB3 is to allow a fixed layout for enriched texts. So, I cannot see why dropcaps should be condamned for philosophy or principle reasons. They are part of the game. Ragged text will disappear from the EPUBs of tomorrow long before the dropcaps do.
For me, the "ebook philosophy" is to let the user change things like font, font size, line separation, margins... With this requisites, the use of dropcaps (and similar things, like figures around which the text wraps) is fragile, make some (maybe unusal) change to the font, screen size, etc. and you get undesirable results.

I don't say dropcaps should be proscribed, but this fact should be kept in mind when deciding whether or not to use them (and how).

Quote:
Further, two more twoliners exemples coming from a printed book with the "unaccceptable" Q behaviour (Q is often very tricky...) and a drop cap with a previous quote mark.
The Q example is indeed unacceptable. A self-respected typesetter would never allow that, and would apply some tweaks to prevent the clash between the Q's tail and the i's dot (make the Q slightly smaller, change the word spacing a bit to move the i away...). The quote mark example is acceptable, although some might not like it.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:52 AM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
even if it's true that a standard EPUB, with its ragged (non justified) text is not the nicest format to go along with drop caps.

Ragged text will disappear from the EPUBs of tomorrow long before the dropcaps do.
What does justified or ragged text have to do with "standard" ePub?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2012, 06:19 AM   #21
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
What does justified or ragged text have to do with "standard" ePub?
Nothing but the standard nearly unavoidable implementation of this standard made by ADE forces it for our unwilling eyes, at least for the PRS-505 users like me a a lot of others, I suspect . One day, our display will be fine.

PDF display, for this point of view, is much more pleasant, though of course it has other well-known drawbacks.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
Nothing but the standard nearly unavoidable implementation of this standard made by ADE forces it for our unwilling eyes, at least for the PRS-505 users like me a a lot of others, I suspect . One day, our display will be fine.

PDF display, for this point of view, is much more pleasant, though of course it has other well-known drawbacks.
I highly doubt Sony will be upgrading ADE on the 505. The only way to get justified text via ADE is to get a newer Sony or a different brand reader.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:31 AM   #23
roger64
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I highly doubt Sony will be upgrading ADE on the 505. The only way to get justified text via ADE is to get a newer Sony or a different brand reader.
I highly doubt it too. Not only justification is missing but also hyphenation, as I consider it to be also a standard feature.

Meanwhile, I recently learnt, thanks to Jellby's expert and friendly help, how to convert automatically cleanly formatted EPUB to PDF which can give me these above features to the exact format of my reader. Of course, it's not a replacement, just a workaround. So, if I wish, I can get now justification and hyphenation on my reader.

Throwing my still working reader to the rubbishbin is not yet an option. Though...

Last edited by roger64; 09-19-2012 at 02:47 AM.