Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #1
momtodogs
Lovin' the e-life!!!
momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini
Question Questions from a possible Sony to Kindle convert

Actually 'convert' isn't quite accurate. 'Supplement' might be better, unless I'm blown away by the Kindle. I have a Sony PRS-505, and LOVE it. I considered the Kindle then (2009), but liked the Sony because I could use SD cards (I like separate cards for favorite authors/genre/collections.)

BUT, I am excited about the affordability about the newer Kindles, and have often lamented that the huge selection of reasonably priced books, on Amazon, are unusable on my Sony. I have purchased a few of old favorites, but can only read them on my PC.

OK, I actually DO have a point to this thread, and here it is.... which Kindle should I get????
  1. Keyboard or Touch? Either must be QWERTY. My Sony does not use a keyboard, but has lots of navigational buttons on the side and bottom. Very (this) user-friendly. I have an iPod Touch, and have frequent problems with touch accuracy (mine, not the device), if I get in a hurry. I'm much more accurate with a stylus than fingers. I tried out the Sony Touch PRS-600, and hated it instantly because of the screen resolution (cloudy), and was worried that fingerprints might make this worse. I'm not grubby, but I don't want to be constantly cleaning the screen. Do I have to 'swipe' the screen to turn a page?
  2. How important would wi-fi, or 3G, be to me? Weaning myself off of dead-tree books was easy. But, I do find myself in the paperback section of stores, looking at the new releases and taking hard-copy notes of author/titles so I can look for them online when I get home. I have a smart phone, but never subscribed to a data plan, so haven't gotten a newer model now that the data plan is mandatory. I just wanted a phone that would sync with Outlook, so I could check/update my calendar (had a Palm, which became a paperweight when it wouldn't work with my new 64-bit PC.) Don't want to check my email while out of the house (a necessary evil at home.) I have a Nintendo DS Lite, though rarely use it (in favor of reading.)
  3. Consolidation potential? Carrying around all of my devices, in case I might need one, makes my purse seem more like a carry-on for a long flight. Should I hold out for the Kindle Fire, and the possibility of eliminating all but my phone from my arsenal. Will any of the Kindles have an app that will sync with Microsoft Outlook? I'm not too worried about the availability of games. I doubt I can eliminate my iPod, since I have over 15GB of music on it.
I am sorry for my cumbersome post , but never having experienced even a trial of a Kindle, I don't know what to expect, and thought if you knew my level of non-expertise, it might make it easier to advise me. I love my Sony eReader and wish it had been available to me before I retired in 2005, when I spent hours on a bus commuting, daily, to Seattle.

momtodogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:54 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtodogs View Post
Keyboard or Touch? [/B]Either must be QWERTY. My Sony does not use a keyboard, but has lots of navigational buttons on the side and bottom. Very (this) user-friendly. I have an iPod Touch, and have frequent problems with touch accuracy (mine, not the device), if I get in a hurry. I'm much more accurate with a stylus than fingers. I tried out the Sony Touch PRS-600, and hated it instantly because of the screen resolution (cloudy), and was worried that fingerprints might make this worse. I'm not grubby, but I don't want to be constantly cleaning the screen. Do I have to 'swipe' the screen to turn a page?
Do you like page turn buttons, or do you prefer a touch screen? Really, the choice is yours. Do you make copious annotations in your books, or do a lot of searching in them? If you, you probably want the K3 - the model that Amazon are now calling the Kindle Keyboard. If you don't use the keyboard a lot, but still want the page turn buttons, go for the Kindle non-Touch. If you're happy with a touch screen, get the Kindle Touch.

Quote:
How important would wi-fi, or 3G, be to me?
Only YOU can answer that question. Personally I find the 3G very useful.

Quote:
[*]Consolidation potential? Carrying around all of my devices, in case I might need one, makes my purse seem more like a carry-on for a long flight. Should I hold out for the Kindle Fire, and the possibility of eliminating all but my phone from my arsenal. Will any of the Kindles have an app that will sync with Microsoft Outlook? I'm not too worried about the availability of games. I doubt I can eliminate my iPod, since I have over 15GB of music on it.
It's pretty easy to convert ePub books to Mobi format for the Kindle, should you wish to do so.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
If you are looking for one device to rule them all and check outlook email too - then definitely KF.

If you want a device that will make reading very comfortable (something that KF will not be able to do) - Kindle Touch looks like it is going to be the one. While you don't need keyboard most of the time and it just takes up space, not having it at all is a pain - I tried using K4 non-touch, non-keyboard and didn't like it.

Kindle Touch might be a nice compromise for when you need the keyboard occasionally. But it will not have an app for email. You will have to use web-based mail clients.

3G is definitely worth paying $50 one time. It allows you to get new reading when you run out of books when you otherwise couldn't get them.
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #4
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Keep in mind that reading on an LCD screen is not as nice as reading on an E-Ink screen.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:08 AM   #5
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
I considered the Kindle then (2009), but liked the Sony because I could use SD cards (I like separate cards for favorite authors/genre/collections.)
You can store books in "collections" on the Kindle to make locating your books easier. You can set up collections by author, by subject, or any other grouping you choose. Carrying around separate memory cards to keep collections separate seems like an unnecessary expense/trouble. Any Kindle has enough memory for well over 1000 books. How many do you really need to carry around with you?

Quote:
OK, I actually DO have a point to this thread, and here it is.... which Kindle should I get????
If you get a touchscreen kindle you'll have to clean the screen more often than one that has buttons. If you're going to enter text a lot, either the touch or the K3 would be best, however, don't expect to be able to type on them. Even if the keyboard is a qwerty layout, the buttons used are not anything you could use to type, and typing on a touchscreen is not going to work either, no matter who makes the device.

If you want to carry a bunch of music I suggest you look into adding memory to your phone. A 16 GB SDHC memory card only costs about $20 these days and a phone is a lot handier than a Kindle and probably a lot more functional for music playback. You'll probably have your phone with you everywhere you go but you're less likely to carry an e-book reader everywhere you go.

Download a copy of Calibre (it's free!) here: http://calibre-ebook.com/
It can convert epub files to the Kindle friendly mobi format (as well as other formats) and it is a good e-book management/backup for your e-reader.
Mark Rehorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2011, 02:24 PM   #6
momtodogs
Lovin' the e-life!!!
momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini
Thumbs up Thank you, all!!

Thank you, for your prompt, and very informative, responses. I think I have decided on the Kindle Keyboard 3G, Free 3G + Wi-Fi.

I feel I'm too fumble-fingered for the touch keyboard. Sometimes when I haven't cut my nails in a while, I get a little sloppy. No, I'm not one of those creepy women who have talons . I'm too lazy for the upkeep. And, you have confirmed that the touch screen will probably be easily smudged.

I hadn't thought of the difference between the LED and the eInk screens, and am really glad you steered me away from the Fire. I don't need to have my favorite relaxation activity , cause me headaches, when I get those from too many other sources.

Although it is a bit longer than the Touch (which was the same size as my Sony), I don't think that will be much of a 'burden.'

I know I said I didn't care much about the 'wireless/3G' thing; but, someday I may have a use for it, and the Touch didn't have the 3G option (I was out today with my sister, and she got all turned around because she'd left her TomTom at home. LOL. Can you get MapQuest on the Kindle?)

Again, thanks soooo much for your help. I only hope the delivery of my new Kindle will be as prompt as your responses were.

PS. I have been using Calibre since I first got my Sony. Kovid Goyal is a genius, and I've donated at least twice (probably am due again.) I don't even use the Sony program, except to order books.

Last edited by momtodogs; 10-09-2011 at 02:47 PM. Reason: PS
momtodogs is offline   Reply With Quote