Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-08-2011, 12:56 PM   #1
saiyuki
Enthusiast
saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: binatone ReadMe, Kobo Touch, Scroll Extreme 2
Various Formats

Hi. I have loads of book folders, many containing multiple formats of the same title. Which would be the best single format to keep, in view of conversions to other formats, irrespective of what reader i next get.

I'm doing a spring clean of my system (already vacuumed it out)

Regards Saiyuki
saiyuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
The two most popular choices are EPUB and MOBI.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2011, 02:48 PM   #3
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I would also add that unless you know your EPUB/MOBI formats are impeccable you may want to eyeball them before you do a mass delete of other formats for that book. There are plenty of very poor quality EPUB conversions floating around out there for instance.

If you don't have time to eyeball them all now I would recommend archiving all the other formats in case you need them someday - they don't have to be in Calibre, just accessible in case you find you need to do your own re-conversion if your EPUB you kept is irrecoverably crap.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:52 PM   #4
saiyuki
Enthusiast
saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: binatone ReadMe, Kobo Touch, Scroll Extreme 2
Thanks for the inputs. I have around 4TB of H/drive space so backing up isn't a problem

Regards saiyuki
saiyuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Why remove them in the first place? Most ebooks don't take up very much space.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2011, 03:03 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I must admit that where I have multiple formats of a book I simply keep all of them.

Calibre does the housekeeping so it is not much effort, and if I later find I need one of the other formats for any reaon they are then available.

As has been mentioned sometimes I find my prime format (EPUB) turns out to be badly formatted, and having the others available increases the chances of having one that is well formatted which I can then put through Calibre to create other formats.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:04 PM   #7
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I vote for epub and PDF. Perhaps other forum members could tell me why mobi not PDF?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:07 PM   #8
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
PDF is not an easy format to convert. For all but the most basic PDF files the result of a conversion wont look very good.

Many people like MOBI because of how it looks. The MOBI format is fairly basic as far as the HTML it supports so it's fairly easy to produce a decent looking book.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:08 PM   #9
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Ah, I knew there was something going on that I did not know.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:56 PM   #10
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I agree that MOBI and EPUB are the two best choices.

EPUB's pluses:
  • Its an editable format making fixes and adjustments possible without requiring conversion to another format first.
  • Its a very popular format making the likelihood of future support very good.
  • It supports a very wide range of formatting options

EPUB's minuses:
  • It supports a very wide range of formatting options, many of which are not supported by other formats thereby causing the occasional poor formatting when converting to other formats when some EPUB function is not supported in the target format.

MOBI's pluses:
  • Its has a lot of formatting options, though somewhat fewer than EPUB and thereby less likely that conversion to another format will result in issues.

MOBI's minuses:
  • Its not an editable format so when a conversion from MOBI results in a formatting issue you can't edit the MOBI to address the issues and reconverting. You must convert to some other editable format (e.g. EPUB) to make the fixes before converting to the desired final format.

Personally, I archive primarily MOBI format. That primarily because Mobipocket Reader has been my reading software for over a decade. I now use a Kindle, but used Mobipocket software on a Windows sub-notebook and two Sony Clies, previously, after migrating from an HP320LX (WinCE v1.0 & v2.0) and its DOC format.

Last edited by dwig; 03-08-2011 at 05:05 PM.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:19 AM   #11
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
EPUB's minuses:
  • It supports a very wide range of formatting options, many of which are not supported by other formats thereby causing the occasional poor formatting when converting to other formats when some EPUB function is not supported in the target format.
That doesn't seem like much of a "minus." If I don't want to use an option, I don't use it. The minus is in the other format that won't support something supported in EPUB.

Quote:
MOBI's pluses:
MOBI is extremely limited as a format. If you like it for that reason, perhaps you will like txt format even better.

I think Kovid's comments on why the Calibre User Manual is in EPUB, not MOBI sort of sums it up:
Quote:
I don't provide [the Calibre User Manual] as MOBI because MOBI is such a limited format that trying to write a sophisticated document like a User Manual in MOBI is pointless.
In other words, a conversion of the User Manual to MOBI would look like crap. And I do not want to provide official crap.
If you have a decent EPUB format, save that. It's far more likely that format will survive long-term than MOBI, and it will preserve more of the formatting.

Last edited by Starson17; 03-09-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote