Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-19-2015, 07:33 PM   #1
RMOP
Connoisseur
RMOP began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, TabPRO 8.4, Galaxy Light, Sony PRS-300
eBook Reader WITHOUT WiFi or 3G/4G

I do realize that I'm asking for the equivalent of, well, a bit of an antique, as most readers now come with WiFi and/or 3G/4G connectivity. However, I'm looking for a simple reader that will handle MOBI and/or ePUB files, but with NO wireless capability whatsoever.

Here's the only thing I've found which is still readily available:

Sony E-Book Reader PRS-300

Any other suggestions? Thanks.
RMOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:35 PM   #2
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Or just get one with wireless and don't enable the wireless.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:42 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Is there any particular reason why an unused WiFi card is actively bad for your needs?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:55 PM   #4
RMOP
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Is there any particular reason why an unused WiFi card is actively bad for your needs?
Yes, several--none of which would be particularly interesting. However, I just found the Sony E-Book Reader PRS-300SC factory-sealed on eBay for $30 incl shipping. So, I bought it. Now to see if it works for me. Most of my eBooks are in Mobi, but converting the few I want on this secondary device to ePUB should be easy enough w Calibre...
Old 03-19-2015, 08:01 PM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I think you'd have done better getting a Kobo Mini, same size screen but much better screen and resolution. Holds a lot more books, too. You don't have to turn wifi on.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:33 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Due to security, safety, or other concerns, there are places where you aren't allowed to have a wireless-equipped device.

That's what led to the development of the NeRD, and the related USAF model:
http://the-digital-reader.com/2014/0...reader-device/
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:45 PM   #7
RMOP
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Due to security, safety, or other concerns, there are places where you aren't allowed to have a wireless-equipped device.

That looks to be the ticket -- if you're in the USN. Perfect for device-restricted environments. Such as a nuclear submarine...
Old 03-19-2015, 08:46 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMOP View Post
I do realize that I'm asking for the equivalent of, well, a bit of an antique, as most readers now come with WiFi and/or 3G/4G connectivity. However, I'm looking for a simple reader that will handle MOBI and/or ePUB files, but with NO wireless capability whatsoever.

Here's the only thing I've found which is still readily available:

Sony E-Book Reader PRS-300

Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Here's one:
http://www.amazon.com/Slick-ER701-eR.../dp/B006F5QLOI

Here are a couple more:
http://www.trekstor.de/ebook-reader-en.html
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:52 PM   #9
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
The JetBook Lite occasionally comes up at Ebay and other sites. No wifi or any other wireless options at all. Content must be loaded onto an SD card (or via a wired USB connection, but that's very slow). Also uses AA batteries (rechargeable or alkaline).

Mine's coming up on its fifth trouble-free birthday.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:59 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:

Just checking many times people seem to be asking for a non-WiFi-capable device simply because they don't see themselves needing WiFi.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:00 PM   #11
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Are there no Sony PRS-350 or 650s available?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:01 PM   #12
RMOP
Connoisseur

Quote:
Thanks. TrekStor looks notable. I'll consider it if my $30 Sony doesn't do the job.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:02 PM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moved OUT of the GENERAL DISCUSSION FORUM and to the Which One Should I Buy" thread.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:04 PM   #14
RMOP
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Are there no Sony PRS-350 or 650s available?
Yes, but not new for $30...and since this is for backup use, I'll hope it suffices. I actually really like my Kindle Paperwhite, and my Kindle Readers, but I'll not have wasted much if this isn't useful.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:56 PM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
If you can find a deal on the discontinued Cybook Opus it's WiFi free and has two separate firmwares, one for Mobi & one for ePub.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote