Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 01-20-2008, 03:42 PM   #1
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Nice tools to help plan your research/projects/thoughts or for writers.

I have used this software for a while now and really find it indispensable for development projects or even creating diagrams for planning any project. I have used it to write software as well as home remodeling projects. I find it quicker than Visio and actually quite powerful while pretty straightforward to use.

The software is called FREEMIND and can be found here:

http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki....php/Main_Page

Basically this software is a different sort of outlining utility. It creates graphical quasi-flow chart type diagrams. You can even publish them to the web complete with links.

I also have used Visio since long before it became a part of Microsoft. I never was fully at ease using Visio for creating such diagrams. Never could get my mind fully around the tool so that the project at and became the focus rather then the technology of the tool being used.

I guess some folks consider it some ethereal sort of software. I lack that level of imagination and use it for my more linear thoughts. I also like to use it to ad notes and random thoughts for something I am working on.

Anyway, it just dawned on me that this would be a wonderful tool for writers/authors. I know it's a great research tool. And also for roughing out an idea. Plus it creates really cool diagrams that can be interactive.

I like to combine it with using EverNote (a competitive product for MS's OneNote) when researching online. Evernote still has a freeware version here:

http://www.evernote.com

The freeware version of EverNote does not have stuff like handwriting recognition or OCR type functionality. But if you need or want that the cost is not that much. But it's a worthy option to the really NICE MS OneNote software.

Best of all it is open source freeware and has a smallish footprint on your system.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:04 PM   #2
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
As a linux user, I've messed around with similar things; there's mind mapping software called kdissert which I don't actually find useful (my mind is obviously unmappable!) and I think the nearest equivalent to Evernote would be Basket Note Pads, which I use all the time!

My favourite tool for academic work is the Firefox plugin Zotero (which works in the Windows version of Firefox too, and has plugins for MS Word & OpenOffice.org Writer). It allows you to snapshot web pages and make notes all over them, highlight bits, keep them in a database for future research, and collect info about the pages that can be plugged straight into your bibliography.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:30 PM   #3
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
...(my mind is obviously unmappable!)
HAHAHA...most days I feel EXACTLY the same way...I believe I suffer from early onset CRS...

And god finds on the Linux tools. I think a day does not go by that I do not consider grabbing a new big HDD for my main laptop and dual booting some form of Linux or even Solaris. But all of my development tools are still Windows tools. I have been threatening to jump of that hamster wheel and feet first into Java development under some sort of -ix OS.

Nice to see there are comparable tools for Linux users.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:43 AM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
I believe I suffer from early onset CRS...
Yeah, Can't Remember ... um ... Stuff runs in my family too.