Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 12-05-2007, 08:30 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Contract-free iPhone price

There was some speculation a while ago about how much the iPhone was being subsidized by its associated phone contract.

T-Mobile (who have the contract to sell the iPhone in Germany) have been forced by the German courts to sell the iPhone optionally without a contract and not SIM-locked, so it can be used on any network. The price, should you want to buy one? A cool €999 (US$1500).

I think that answers the question: Apple are obviously getting a hefty slice of the money that the customer is paying for the phone contract.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:55 AM   #2
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
That's the way it's been with nearly every Phone I've bought in Austria.
I bought my first Smartphone for EUR599 with Plan, if I had gotten it without SIM-lock, it would have cost me EUR999
Old 12-05-2007, 09:27 AM   #3
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
The court has overruled the the accusition, and so its back to getting the iPhone only with a contract from T-Mobile in germany. (No more simlockfree iPhones for 999).

But France will sell simlockfree iPhones soon, and they are supposed to sell for somewhere around 700 Euros.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:55 PM   #4
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
That price for an unlocked iPhone is just plain crazy-talk. Considering you can pick up a 16GB iPod Touch for much less and only lose the phone function. Apple probably set that figure to attempt to ward off people tempted to purchase one, and as mentioned earlier, they probably get a sizable kick-back from from the phone contracts. The iPhone cannot cost that much to manufacture, considering a top-rate PocketPC usually only runs $350-500 and they do almost the same thing (while not looking as pretty); though the SSD drive might be an expensive factor, I don't know.

I think it's just Apple's price fixing scheme trying dominate their closed market; e.g., iPod. I know for a fact that Apple pays each company who sells their products a set amount of PR funds for advertising and they also dictate what their product should be sold at. If a company was to sell it for less than the MSRP, Apple yanks their advertising funds and could pull the company's supply lines for Apple products as well. Guerrilla marketing at it's best!
Old 12-07-2007, 05:42 AM   #5
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Azayzel ... it's not crazy, it's standard procedure.
A carrier "rewards" you for signing a plan with it. If you just want the hardware, you pay the standard price. It's not just Apple doing this.
So, only a few freaks actually buy phones without a plan. Some call them idiots