Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 11-28-2007, 12:44 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Google Maps beta for phones now shows your location without GPS

Now your phone may just be the only GPS-like device you need.

With the new beta of Google Maps, your phone can not only show you maps and directions, but it will also determine your location. Google calls it the "magical blue circle", and it's their way of showing you roughly where you are located based on the nearest cell towers. I'm going to wait for it to get out of beta before trying it, but it sounds like a great feature for mobile phone users.

Read more at Google's mobile blog page.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:07 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Give me a second and I will try it on the Kindle.

Don't think it will work.

Last edited by Nate the great; 11-28-2007 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:26 PM   #3
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
doesn't work on my p1i.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:42 PM   #4
TheMooch
Member Retired
TheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 Sony eReader
ummmmmmm.....Old news?

I started playing with Google Maps on my Blackberry 8830 back in August when I first got it. Google Maps has had that ability since at least then. I dunno that this is actually new. I think what's new is that they've officially mentioned it on the blog.

I could be wrong (I frequently am).
Old 11-28-2007, 01:47 PM   #5
TheMooch
Member Retired
TheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 Sony eReader
wait....my 8830 has a gps chip.......magic blue dot is determining location based on cell towers.

My bad...back to your lives citizens...nothing to see here. We're returning the idiot to his village to teach him to read TFA.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:11 AM   #6
13xforever
Connoisseur
13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H₂O & iPad Pro 2020 12.9"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
I'm going to wait for it to get out of beta before trying it.
Well, good luck there . You know, it's Google's policy to name there services as Betas until they're really, really, [place as many as you want here], really sure that this service will suffice for every user 100%. That's why Gmail still beta for so many months now.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:56 AM   #7
fryandlaurie
fryandlaurie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Does not work on my Nokia 6280, too bad.

As far as I know, offering "location based services" was going to be one of the most promising cash cows for mobile service providers in the future. I would imagine that they will try to prevent third parties from using location information gleaned from connected cell towers, if in any way possible