Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-17-2010, 12:06 PM   #1
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Does PDF files STRESS the Kindle too much?

I have noticed that opening a pdf file on my pc is quite resource intensive.My crystal cpuidle goes from low cpu usage blue to high cpu usage red.

I notice that the hideous adobe acrobat file exe accord stays in my task manager even after i close a pdf file!.

i have to get rid of it manually using the task manager as it seems to drain the memory.

anyone else knows what i am talking about?

in other words pdf files are a memory drain.For the low power kindle pdf files must be very stressful too.

I use a Athlon +3200 cpu running at 1ghz idle and 2ghz when doing something intensive controlled by the crystal cpu idle software.

I have tried to switch to foxit and that seems to improve things.

This bring me to the main thrust of the point that maybe the kindle freezes because of pdf files which are very resource intensive.

what i am trying to say is that you should ideally convert pdf to text or rtf for the kindle and this will eliminate any resource intensive freezing/slowdowns/corruptions,reboots,etc.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:09 PM   #2
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
pdfs are somewhat a pain

larger scanned pdfs take a lot longer time to load than regular PDFs(like 1.5x longer) on my DX Graphite

and so far, after a week on my graphite, i estimate about 5 days battery life for my graphite with 3g on and a lot of pdf reading...
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I don't believe that Kindle uses Adobe software. However, PDF files tend to be much larger than Kindle-formatted files, and thus, take up more memory. It is quite possible that the rendering engine is more resource-intensive than the one for regular Kindle files.

I've never had any problems like the ones you mention on your pc.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
ricsmania
Connoisseur
ricsmania began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi
My Kindle never got stressed while reading PDF files, it remained pretty calm.
ricsmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:23 PM   #5
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
In my experience, PDFs that are text not images work far better on the Kindle. I had a couple of image pdfs that I converted to text (time consuming) and they work much better.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2010, 01:42 PM   #6
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
I have noticed that opening a pdf file on my pc is quite resource intensive.
I've experienced what you are describing. Usually, I had a number of pdf files open in Reader, as well as a great many other running applications, such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, IE, and Developer Studio. Win XP seems to have a choke point in terms of caching and file swapping. Win 7 is only slightly better.

Not all PDF's are laid out so they render efficiently. The more over-the-top "burdens" the authoring source put into the creation, the harder it is to display the document. Any power user who has spent time coverting pdf's to other formats can tell you there are far too many unclean layouts out there.

I'll report back in a few days about how bogged down a Kindle (Model DXG) can get when it has to deal with very large pdf files. Example: The Complete Guide to Dream Kitchens, which weighs in at 155 MB! However, I expect that problem tech papers will give the Kindle the most grief.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:00 PM   #7
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
My Kindle got so stressed out that I took it to my doctor. He advised rest and relaxation and to not download any more murder mysteries or other types of thrillers, so now I just read those types of books in paperback.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:15 PM   #8
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Also bear in mind, that adobe's own PDF reader is incredibly bloated and runs awfully, especially on older computers.

There used to be an alternative (FoxIt?) that read them much much better.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:04 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I don't believe that Kindle uses Adobe software. However, PDF files tend to be much larger than Kindle-formatted files, and thus, take up more memory. It is quite possible that the rendering engine is more resource-intensive than the one for regular Kindle files.

I've never had any problems like the ones you mention on your pc.
Actually, Amazon does license Adobe's Mobile Reader SDK for its PDF features.

I have one PDF that is 30Mb and it opens just fine, but I've had some slightly smaller than that that crashed Kindle. Unless the PDF is password protected, you can split larger ones up into pieces that Kindle can load.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:40 PM   #10
softshell
softshell began at the beginning.

Device: none
wouldn't using calibre to convert the file to mobi solve any issues of the kindle using more resources to read this format? or does the conversion somehow leave the mobi file as somehow different (like a mutant version of mobi that still consumes a bit more than the purebred mobi files)?
softshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:42 PM   #11
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by softshell View Post
wouldn't using calibre to convert the file to mobi solve any issues of the kindle using more resources to read this format? or does the conversion somehow leave the mobi file as somehow different (like a mutant version of mobi that still consumes a bit more than the purebred mobi files)?
this process mostly works if the PDF contains OCR'd text, not picture scan and stuff

and doing this, graphics will be removed too
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:59 PM   #12
aquawater
Enthusiast
aquawater began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
Also bear in mind, that adobe's own PDF reader is incredibly bloated and runs awfully, especially on older computers.

There used to be an alternative (FoxIt?) that read them much much better.
Agreed with you, adobe reader is bloated. I never use this anymore.
Stick to Foxit Reader.
aquawater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:17 AM   #13
s0litaire
s0litaire began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
It depends on the PDF.

I've opened a few PDF's on my 2Ghz Celeron Ubuntu laptop and had the CPU hit 100% while they have been opened. While others PDF's are fine!

Think it's the type of compression the PDF uses. There's ZIP and LZM (Think they are the 2 main options!) if they were created using any abnormal settings it may stress out the CPU while de-compressing the PDF's

I've not used Adobe to create PDF's in years!
Ubuntu has a print to PDF option by default but not sure of it's settings (Or how to change them!).
s0litaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:14 AM   #14
pashlit
Zealot
pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.

Device: DXG, PRS-350
Just finished a 280 pages book downloaded from Google. Pages were processed by Google as images. Most of the images do not show at all and reading was kinda slow. I have DX btw. Abot 5 times Kindle just froze and rebooted itself.
Now I am reading another PDF book. Pages are not images this time but the book has some images. While loading images it becomes slow. Some images do not load up and annoying text "Some features cannot be displayed by Kindle this time" or smth like that pops up. Otherwise works OK.
When reading just text PDFs Kindle speed is OK. But I wished they improved PDF feature. Right now its just terrible and zoom feature is pointless for me.
pashlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:05 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Since Amazon doesn't actually sell pdf ebooks, I don't expect pdf reading on the Kindle to ever be an effortless, pain-free experience. They'll support it because they said they would (and it may get increasingly 'better'), but they're not going to sink a lot of time and expense into making it a true pdf reader.

This is probably one of those instances where a third-party app is going to have to come to the rescue somewhere down the road.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cpu, drain, memory, pdf, stress