Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-14-2010, 01:25 AM   #1
Cryogaijin
Cryogaijin began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Too many books. . . need help organizing.

Anyone have any tips or tricks for organizing the books in your nook? I just passed 1k books, so 100 pages of 10 books per page is a bit nuts. Are there any ways to improve organization?
Cryogaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:58 AM   #2
Schmots
Connoisseur
Schmots began at the beginning.

Device: nook, prs-505, iphone
softroot, then you can search for a book.
Schmots is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2010, 12:32 PM   #3
scrollert
scrollert began at the beginning.

Device: B&N Nook
Or use something like Calibre, and keep the books on your PC except for a small number that you're actually reading. I'm assuming that you're not talking about 1,000 books from B&N, that they're sideloaded. If they're from B&N I think softrooting is your only real option.
scrollert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:12 AM   #4
Cryogaijin
Cryogaijin began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Project Gutenberg has a lot of good stuff.
Cryogaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:27 PM   #5
PASUNDOG
PASUNDOG began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK
OK... got my (Rooted) Nook. can't get on the web.... my wireless DSL router js detected by it and I typed in the WEP code... but for some reason it sits there saying obtaining address... but not getting any further. Have excellent signal strength from the router.
???????????????????
Neal
PASUNDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 03:05 PM   #6
Catalytic
Catalytic began at the beginning.

Device: NookColor, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmots View Post
softroot, then you can search for a book.
What's softroot?
Catalytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:46 PM   #7
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalytic View Post
What's softroot?
Rooting is done when you want to get root access to your Androids OS. Because the Nook is android, it can be rooted to install new software and apps. Basically the techies first hack the Nook or NOOKcolor and create software that is easy for us non-techies to install, lol.

A rooted Nook will give you the freedom to do things B&N restricts. IE: a out-of-box NOOK wifi or 3g won't let you keep your B&N books and side loaded books in the same folder, nor can you see the covers for the side loaded books. In a rooted NOOK your B&N and side loaded books are all in one library, you can search them all and look through the covers equally. You can also use the tags in calibre to make collections.

I use my tags to keep my books organized by genre (I have about 25 tags and can have the same book under as many tags as I want). Then I use the Shelves to organize what is read and unread.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:49 PM   #8
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PASUNDOG View Post
OK... got my (Rooted) Nook. can't get on the web.... my wireless DSL router js detected by it and I typed in the WEP code... but for some reason it sits there saying obtaining address... but not getting any further. Have excellent signal strength from the router.
???????????????????
Neal
I would double check your password/code and make sure it was entered correctly. I had a friend trying to use my wireless and was entering the wrong wep code.

Besides that I'm sorry, I have no idea.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:10 AM   #9
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
It will take you a few hours at the outset, but the new firmware updates inclusion of bookshelves has been awesome for me. I have only 3 pages of bookshelves. So if I have in my mind i want to read Aristophones one day, I just go to my philosophy bookshelf. There is extensive information in the user guide as to how to organize your shelves. You can put a book on more than one shelf as well. For example, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell gets a "modern lit - british" shelf tag as well as a "fantasy" tag and an "award winner" tag.

I was debating a softroot before this most recent firmware update, but wanted to give B&N one more chance to allow me some organizational structure.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:23 AM   #10
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
I have my nook rooted and as a result I have trook running on it. Then using calibre and calibre2opds I think I now have a fantastic catalogue system on my nook. I have over 3100 books loaded on it and I can find whatever book I want in a couple of seconds... I can view the covers and read a summary of the book before opening it...

read this thread
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64095

and watch this video of trook running with calibre2opds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaJOt4OSlJw
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:18 PM   #11
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
It will take you a few hours at the outset, but the new firmware updates inclusion of bookshelves has been awesome for me. I have only 3 pages of bookshelves. So if I have in my mind i want to read Aristophones one day, I just go to my philosophy bookshelf. There is extensive information in the user guide as to how to organize your shelves. You can put a book on more than one shelf as well. For example, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell gets a "modern lit - british" shelf tag as well as a "fantasy" tag and an "award winner" tag.

I was debating a softroot before this most recent firmware update, but wanted to give B&N one more chance to allow me some organizational structure.
Now if only B&N had made life simple and used folders like JBL and many, many others. I'm sorry, but there is no way I am "shelving" my 1500 books using their built-in keyboard. It took less than 15 minutes using windows and the softroot library programmer really knows how to do this correctly. Too bad B&N are still clueless as to what we need.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:58 PM   #12
Catalytic
Catalytic began at the beginning.

Device: NookColor, Nook
I wish (mind you, I have done nothing with our Nook beyond load them with books, since they are Christmas gifts) B&N would put out a desktop software similar to iTunes, it would be very handy to be able to arrange books on shelves on an actual puter and then upload it to the Nooks.
Catalytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:41 PM   #13
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalytic View Post
I wish (mind you, I have done nothing with our Nook beyond load them with books, since they are Christmas gifts) B&N would put out a desktop software similar to iTunes, it would be very handy to be able to arrange books on shelves on an actual puter and then upload it to the Nooks.
I agree that would be the ideal solution. Its clear that they are still new to this software side of the business. But my Nook does what I need it to do. Shelving was a fine option for me in lieu of voiding my warranty through softroot. Perhaps when my warranty expires, I'll reconsider.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote