Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 12-29-2009, 04:54 PM   #1
tjbigwoo
tjbigwoo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Touch
Question Need help with Sony Reader- beginner user!!

Hi there. I have ZERO technical skills, but am an avid reader, so my hubby bought me a Sony Reader Touch for Christmas. I went to the Sony Reader store and downloaded a book...but I read online that there are places that I can go for free downloads?!
Can you suggest the best/easiest site(s) for me?
Please remember I'm one that needs step-by-step instructions as I have no computer skills and thanks!
tjbigwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:01 PM   #2
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Welcome to MobileRead, tjbigwoo! Are you looking for any particular type or genre of books? There are free books on this site, just look for the "E-books" menu at the top of the page.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2009, 05:05 PM   #3
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
There are many free ebooks here in the Mobileread forums; https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebooks.php?forumid=126 is the LRF-format (Sony) area, and https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebooks.php?forumid=130 is for ePubs (which Sony now prefers).

The Mobileread wiki has lists of free ebook sites: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Free_eBooks

Some of the largest are:
http://www.munseys.com
http://www.feedbooks.com
http://www.manybooks.net

Baen Books has a free library of science fiction ebooks at http://www.baen.com/library/

Sci-fi author & copyfight activist Cory Doctorow releases all of his books as free ebooks at http://craphound.com/

http://www.teleread.org/free-ebooks/ is Teleread's list of free ebook resources.

http://www.smashwords.com is a self-published ebook store, but it has a lot of free and "pay what you like" books.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
slashank
slashank began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
You can go to http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page, search for the book you need or parse through the list of top 100 downloads, and download the epub file (listed at the bottom of the page).
To transfer the file to the reader, connect the reader to the computer, and copy the file to the reader memory.
An easier way would be to install calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/), start calibre and connect the reader. calibre will detect the reader. you can add books to the reader from calibre easily.
slashank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:20 AM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
With the Sony, Tjbigwoo, Slashank has a good point. Go for Calibre Library -- even I can use it, and I'm a real technodunce. Simply convert at the touch of a key anything you download to ePub format for your Sony. If you're looking for a few new ebooks to experiment with, visit my indie publishing site (www.bewrite.net) and take your pick. Let me know of any titles that catch your eye (ntmarrATbewrite.net [use the @ sign, of course]) and I'd be happy to send them to you free to get you going. Happy reading. You have a lovely reader there. Best. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 08:18 AM   #6
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Wonderful and it appears you got everything installed and it works! A number of new users are having significant issues.

Welcome to MR, the best little ebook lover site in the land!

Also more and more public libraries are lending books so be sure and check out that possibility in your area. the MR Library page: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Library_software

Last edited by kennyc; 12-30-2009 at 08:20 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:48 AM   #7
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
And treat yourself to a swish cover, TJ. You and your reader deserve it. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:24 AM   #8
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi tjbigwoo and welcome to MobileRead.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:27 PM   #9
mina dominguez
mina dominguez began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader prs-505
Question ayuda con el manual

hola soy de mexico y me da mucho gusto que existan foros como estos y personas que brinden ayuda a personas como yo que no tiene ni idea con respecto a mi lector acabo de comprar un lector sony reader prs-505 como no se ingles se me esta complicando el manual ya que viene en ingles ustedes sabran de casualidad donde puedo encontrarlo ya traducido por que no se puede traducir le agradezco mucho su ayuda.
mi nombre es mina saludos a todos
mina dominguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:32 PM   #10
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
For free books from Sony click here:

http://ebooks.addall.com/sonyfree.html
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:21 PM   #11
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by mina dominguez View Post
hola soy de mexico y me da mucho gusto que existan foros como estos y personas que brinden ayuda a personas como yo que no tiene ni idea con respecto a mi lector acabo de comprar un lector sony reader prs-505 como no se ingles se me esta complicando el manual ya que viene en ingles ustedes sabran de casualidad donde puedo encontrarlo ya traducido por que no se puede traducir le agradezco mucho su ayuda.
mi nombre es mina saludos a todos
Felicitaciones por su nuevo Sony 505

Hay un sitio (en espanol) que tiene information .

por surquizu (miembro de este foro)..

http://prs-505.webcindario.com/manuales.htm de http://prs-505.webcindario.com/

Buena suerte .
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:42 PM   #12
tjbigwoo

Thank you, everyone!!
Old 01-04-2010, 09:22 PM   #13
tjbigwoo

Ok, so I'm an idiot

I downloaded Caliber- how do I search for a book? I type a name (Stephen King)in the search line and hit enter and get ZERO results. What am I doing wrong or how do I search for books through Caliber?!!?
I told you I'm terrible at this stuff! Ugh!
Old 01-05-2010, 05:08 AM   #14
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome to MR! I can't remember how you search for books in Calibre (and it's not on my work PC) - have you tried just searching for King?

Usually I just sort the book list by author if I want to find a specific author though!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:39 AM   #15
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbigwoo View Post
I downloaded Caliber- how do I search for a book? I type a name (Stephen King)in the search line and hit enter and get ZERO results. What am I doing wrong or how do I search for books through Caliber?!!?
I told you I'm terrible at this stuff! Ugh!
May be some confusion here. The Search in Calibre is only to search for books in it's own library. It does not search the internet or stores to buy/find books if that is what you are trying to do.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote