Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-17-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Animal Farm by George Orwell

As part of my occasional read something different to thrillers and scifi, I chose the classic Animal Farm by George Orwell and I must say how enjoyable this old classic is.
Its still as engrossing today as it was when it was originally published 60 years ago.

I downloaded the free well-formatted html version from the University of Adelaide's ebook library at http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:33 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Great book

All animals are created equal, but some are more equal than others.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2009, 09:40 PM   #3
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
One of my favorite books, but I'm still not sure that "Four legs good, two legs better!" Snakes are perhaps the world's most successful reptile, and they have no legs at all (with the exception of some remnants on some of the pythons).
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:18 PM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
We also have several versions of Animal Farm in the MR library, in formats suitable for Sony Readers:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49218
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33766
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33869
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11194
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:12 PM   #5
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
I can't remember reading it at school so I think this was the first time I have read it.
I felt sorry for poor old Boxer who thought everything would be alright if he just worked a bit harder and look what happened to him.
It does give you a picture of the state of the world after WWII and the perceived threat of Communism at the time.

I do remember reading The Catcher in the Rye and Lord of the Flies at school. Does anyone know if they are available as ebooks ?
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2009, 04:41 PM   #6
Classica
Classica doesn't litterClassica doesn't litter

Device: none
Animal Farm is one of my absolute favorites, along with 1984. George Orwell is such a captivating writer.

"No question now, what had happened to the faces of the pigs. The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which."
- George Orwell, Animal Farm, Ch. 10

It's strangely beautiful, yet absolutely terrifying to watch as the pigs gain, and are corrupted by, absolute power.
Classica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:51 PM   #7
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
I've always wanted to read this book and now I think I will. God, I love that I can decide to read a good book and have a free copy in my hands a minute later.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:41 PM   #8
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
I saw a comic version of this on TV when I was 8 or 9 or 10, and I cried horribly when that poor horsie was taken away by an "ambulance" with a death's head on the rear door.

Man, my parents had a hard time calming me down. That movie haunted me for a while.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:54 AM   #9
paul1403
Exertion Avoider
paul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Eco-Reader, Motorola Xoom, Samsung Galaxy S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
I can't remember reading it at school so I think this was the first time I have read it.
I felt sorry for poor old Boxer who thought everything would be alright if he just worked a bit harder and look what happened to him.
It does give you a picture of the state of the world after WWII and the perceived threat of Communism at the time.

I do remember reading The Catcher in the Rye and Lord of the Flies at school. Does anyone know if they are available as ebooks ?
I am sure Catcher in the Rye is available somewhere... not so sure about Lord of the Flies. Check out The Gutenberg Project... there is the main one, http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page and the Australian one, http://gutenberg.net.au/ .

I, too, read Lord of the Flies at school. Hated it. Also hated My Brother Jack. On the other hand, loved The Great Gatsby.
paul1403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:44 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
I've always wanted to read this book and now I think I will. God, I love that I can decide to read a good book and have a free copy in my hands a minute later.
Please only download it if you live in a country such as Canada or Australia where it is legal to do so; it is NOT in the public domain in the USA, Europe, and most other countries.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:03 PM   #11
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please only download it if you live in a country such as Canada or Australia where it is legal to do so; it is NOT in the public domain in the USA, Europe, and most other countries.
Get off my cloud, Harry.

Is the ebook available for purchase anywhere? If not, I may just grab the p-book to throw on the shelf and forget to delete the ebook.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:47 PM   #12
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Good point, Harry. I read mine in a paperback edition.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:41 AM   #13
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Orwell at his best in this political satire. Thanks to MR for a superb download so that I can read it again after so many years. N
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:15 AM   #14
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
While somewhat traitorous to my ebook readers, I will tout that I picked up this illustrated hardcover of Animal Farm a few years ago (before you came into my life ebook readers). It is great.

http://www.books-by-isbn.com/0-436/0...6-20294-8.html

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:02 PM   #15
roger the rabbit
Addict
roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T3, 650 Black, 505, Kobo Glo HD Aura ONE
Great book - as relevant today as it was when written - just a different country!!
roger the rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote