Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-09-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
mordax
mordax began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
Brand new owner- Do I have to?

So, I literally just got home with my new device, and I wanted to add some text files to it. My questions are...

1. Do I have to install the software to add txt files to the device?

2. Do I have to convert txt files to LRM in order to read them.

I am very excited to own this (I've been lurking on this site for weeks) but somehow I haven't found an answer to this question yet.
mordax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordax View Post
So, I literally just got home with my new device, and I wanted to add some text files to it. My questions are...

1. Do I have to install the software to add txt files to the device?

2. Do I have to convert txt files to LRM in order to read them.

I am very excited to own this (I've been lurking on this site for weeks) but somehow I haven't found an answer to this question yet.
and the answers are, nope and nope. just connect the 505 with the usb cable, it will appear as an external drive and you can copy the files in. and since it can read .txt (i'm pretty sure) no worries there either (although they won't be very pretty. for pretty, i recommend epub format).

i do recommend you take a look at calibre (see the calibre forum), it's a really useful library management, conversion, and rss aggregation tool. i find it indispensable.

happy reading !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2009, 08:53 PM   #3
mordax

Its just I tried putting the txt files in the books folder, and the didn't show up as far as I could tell.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:56 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

hmm... i've got a 700 and i'm not sure whether the file system is the same as on the 505, but logically that should work... i do know there are a few differences with the user interface. are you looking (on the 505) in something called "all books" or "library" or something, after you eject it ? maybe either try it again or install calibre quickly (it's free and only takes a few seconds to install, and very easy to use) and use that to send them over.

or, somebody who has a 505 will surely come along soon and be able to tell you for sure.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:10 PM   #5
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
On your device - check in Books by date and then look under today's date to see if you can see them there.

I just tried dragging a test txt file onto the device in database | media | books and it showed up on my device (which is also a 505)
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2009, 09:15 PM   #6
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
It should read text files.
According to our wiki (and the Sony blurb):
"Book formats supported are PDF (including reflow and DRM), ePUB, TXT, RTF, LRF, & LRX. "
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRS505

I use the Sony software to load files into the reader. Calibre also works. I'm afraid that I've never used any other method.
It occurs to me that a brand-new reader just might need charging first.

Text files will load, but they won't look good. This is because text files have hard line breaks, which will lead to some very strange breaks on the screen. It is very easy to convert the text file into a reflowable Doc or RTF. Here's two ways:

Paste the text file into a word document. Save it.
Open Find and Replace (In the “Edit” menu). You need to make three passes with it.
1. Find ^p^p (i.e. find two paragraph marks. The symbols are in More then Special. The paragraph mark is at the top of the list.). Replace with @ (These act as placeholders to preserve the real paragraphs.)
2. Now, for the second pass, find ^p (single paragraph mark). Replace with a single space.
3. Finally, for the third pass, find @ and replace with either a single paragraph mark, or two paragraph marks if you prefer an empty line between paragraphs.
Then save as a doc or as an rtf and load into your reader.

or use

Stingo’s Word Macro
This does a good job at removing the hard line breaks in text files and making a reflowable document. It also sets the font to Times New Roman, point 14. Once installed, it is very easy to use. Paste your text file into a word document. Save the Doc and run the macro.
You can find it here, together with instructions on how to install it:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8793
(The only time this has ever given me trouble was when I failed to save the doc before running the macro. It crashed.)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:15 PM   #7
mordax

I ended up using Calibre and it worked just fine. Thanks.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:28 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel

i'm glad you got it sorted. excellent advice from patricia and shortncuddlyam to keep in mind for future use.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:04 AM   #9
Valwit
Enthusiast
Valwit began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, Inkpad3Pro
txt are fine, just put them to the other books, not just into the root directory
Valwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:15 PM   #10
mordax

Thanks again guys! I am bookmarking this thread so I remember your great advice!