Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-11-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
ksri99
ksri99 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700BC
Software to batch update PDF metadata/ substitute software for Sony eBook library

Hello Mobilereaders,

I got my 1st ever mobile reader Sony PRS700-BC about a month ago. I bought this mainly to read technical books. I have a lot of PDF articles and PDF eBooks. When I import them into the reader, if the metadata (Like title/author/subject etc) are not populated in the PDF, the reader wont show the information. So, I had to manually go to the poperties of each file in windows and update manually. I'm curious if anyone knows any tool that allows for each update of metadata. I found some softwares that update metadata for PDF, but we need to open one file at a time. I'm looking for something like iTunes/Media Monkey in terms of mp3 ID3 tags updating. We can see a list of all files and then easily update one after other.

Also, does anyone know of any substitute softwares that support Sony eBook readers. I do not like the Sony eBook library software at all. Not sure whey such a standard company like sony, did not focus on the software part at all, where as it would be so easy to add many user friendly features in it.

Appreciate your inputs. Thanks much!
ksri99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:18 PM   #2
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Maybe BeCy-PDF-MetaEdit helps. I have used it now for a while and it worked very nicely. Freeware for Windows.

http://www.becyhome.de/becypdfmetaed...iption_eng.htm
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 04:43 PM   #3
ksri99
ksri99 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700BC
Thanks for responding. I id try the BeCy PDF metaedit. I have 100's of PDF's and I need to open each file and populate the meta data. I have certain groups, say a group of 50 files have the same author. If I can select all the files from the folder (grouped by Author - for Example) and update the Author, it would save me a lot of effort. There are lots of such tools for mp3 files, to edit the ID3 tag metadata, just to get a feel of what I'm talking. I hope some tool comes out for eBook formats too, with this market fast growing.
ksri99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:15 PM   #4
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
I hope you find what you are looking for. For me the big advantage with the software above was that you do not need to open the pdf to change the metadata, since opening the pdf's can be time consuming.

On the other hand I do not have more than 50-100 pdf's that I prepared for the 700 so far, and I tend to add them in small groups...
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:46 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Yes I really like the app Liviu_5 mentioned. Works like a charm.

You can try soPDF this tool created just for the 500/505/700. What it does is crops off the margins and also rotates the PDf if you wish. Lastly it can set the PDF name and author from the command line. you will just have to write the script...well I have a perl script if you wish I can post it here.

The disadvantage with soPDF is it removes all of the bookmarks. Often I run soPDF to remove the margins and on non-fiction books I tend to run BeCy-PDF-MetaEdit to recreate the Bookmarks (tedious)
=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2012, 04:35 AM   #6
Bksfinest
Bksfinest began at the beginning.

Device: Tablet w/ E-Ink :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksri99 View Post
Thanks for responding. I id try the BeCy PDF metaedit. I have 100's of PDF's and I need to open each file and populate the meta data. I have certain groups, say a group of 50 files have the same author. If I can select all the files from the folder (grouped by Author - for Example) and update the Author, it would save me a lot of effort. There are lots of such tools for mp3 files, to edit the ID3 tag metadata, just to get a feel of what I'm talking. I hope some tool comes out for eBook formats too, with this market fast growing.

Did you ever find a solution? I want to rename batches of pdf and ebook files that are too long in name to be transfered to my ext. hd. Mediamonkey has an option in their program to rename files based on filename<>tags to filename in any direction.

I have no tags for any of the PDF i have downloaded but im looking for the option to rename files in bulk like other programs for media files.
Bksfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #7
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Have any of you looked at Calibre? It's a free database program that allows you to edit the metadata of books (files). If these books have ISBN numbers, Calibre will pull the metadata and cover information from ISBN, Amazon, etc. and auto populate the data fields. When converting the file, either to another format or to the same format, adding the metadata to the beginning of the book is an option. PDFs are a poor format for ereaders and they don't always convert as well as other formats, so usability for you will probably depend on the quality of your files. It is very good at letting you choose a whole bunch of books and mass-edit the author, tags, etc. You can also create your own metadata fields if there are other things you want to track. There's an active Calibre forum here at MobileRead.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook library substitute, pdf metadata