Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
Orn8one
Groupie
Orn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony 650 and Cool-er
Kobo defecter

I am going to buy a new e-reader and would be really interested to hear how happy people are with their PaperWhites. I'm in no rush, I know the 2nd is still on pre-order only.
We all come here with our problems so I've been reading about those! I have decided not to stick with Kobo for many reasons and as I use Amazon to browse books and read reviews (the Kobo website is completely hopeless) a Kindle seems sensible.
I am a simple reader, I buy books and read them. I don't use Calibre or ADE since wifi devices made downloading easy-peasy! I usually browse and buy on my iPad app as its easier than my Kobo e-reader.
I downloaded the Kindle iPad app while back just to be nosey, it looked easy enough but again I'd love to hear from people who use it.
I hope I can look forward to your Kindle experiences on the PaperWhite, the amazon website for purchasing (which I havent experienced for book buying but have found it great and easy to use or problem solve for general items) and the IOS app.
Many thanks.
Orn8one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
I can't comment much about using my PW (and before that a K2i) for purchasing from the Amazon site as I do most of my work through ADE and Calibre. What I can comment on is Amazon's customer service. It is spectacular...truly jaw-dropping good. The PW is a quality product and the software is good though not as customizable as many would like, though our friendly developers in the Developer's Corner are ingenious at fixes (hacks). If for no other reason, the customer service will make a believer out of you.
Welcome to "our" part of the forum!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
Rob2246
Enthusiast
Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle,nook ,ipad,kobo
Smile

Hi Orn8one. I have both devices and I also am fed up with Kobo. Hi have a kobo glo and Aura HD. Here in the U.S we have no option but to buy from kobo.com(nightmare) or independent book sellers. bought my glo after driving 50 miles to a book store in delaware. bought my Aura HD from kobo online. Anyway buying from amazon both books and devices is a breeze. quick shipping easy returns and even if you buy a book online by accident you can "return it" also like the email to your device feature which gives your kindle a unique email address where you can send documents or book files purchased and downloaded from other sites such as smashwords to your kindle.Also store in your library in the "cloud" good luck.
go for a paperwhite you will be glad you did.
Rob2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
I have two kobos, an Aura HD and a mini, and a PW1 but we have many Kindles in the family and the software are just so much better than the Kobo's, it's not even comparable. I stopped using my kobos because I just could not get used to the bugs.

I have not had contact with the Kobo customer service because it is non existent here, but I have had many contacts with the Amazon Customer Service and its absolutely fantastic.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
allowingtoo
Bibliophile
allowingtoo began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon
I have had the Sony (with the built in light) a Nook, Kindle with the Keyboard, and the Paperwhite, and I am upgrading to the latest version of the Paperwhite. I love the Paperwhite. The Kindle Keyboard ran the longest without recharging of course - I am a heavy reader. But I love the Paperwhite screen. Of course I have an Amazon Prime account and I take advantage of all the free books there are to download through Amazon too. Hope you find your perfect eReader.
allowingtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
Orn8one
Groupie
Orn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipse

That all sounds great, thank you so much everyone for replying.
I have purchased Kindles for two of my children and they are happy and reading. I chose the Kindle suspecting the buggy Kobo with the buggy website would end up on a shelf! I wanted to hear from some real users as the kids tell me nothing!
Fantastic to know the customer service is so good. This forum is far more helpful than Kobo's!
I am looking forward to defecting!
Old 09-28-2013, 07:07 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orn8one View Post
That all sounds great, thank you so much everyone for replying.
I have purchased Kindles for two of my children and they are happy and reading. I chose the Kindle suspecting the buggy Kobo with the buggy website would end up on a shelf! I wanted to hear from some real users as the kids tell me nothing!
Fantastic to know the customer service is so good. This forum is far more helpful than Kobo's!
I've never owned a Kobo but I have many Kindles. I love my Paperwhite. To me what puts Kindle about the rest is the ability to email your book to your Kindle. You also get 5GB of space for Personal Documents so you can make your own cloud. (This will be great for when you convert your epubs over to Kindle format.) This Cloud is accessible through any Kindle or Kindle app and it syncs back and forth. WiFi is all you need.

Customer service is top notch and need to return a book? You got seven days from the time you buy it to return it. It's an auto process and easy to do. No need to talk or email anyone.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #8
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orn8one View Post
Let us know when you're ready and we'll setup a diversion! *I always did like a good spy novel*
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #9
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I don't have a perfect Kindle PW1, and, in fact, exchanged mine many times when it came out, and settled for the least bad screen. That's because I have above-average color vision, and could see color blobs on all of them, along with pinpricks, smudges under the screen, bright spots where the light was shining through, etc. Buying a good PW last year was no walk in the park. Why did I not just return them all and call it a day? Because it is still an awesome device.

I love the Amazon ecosystem and their unbelievable customer service, plus the fact that, if you have a US account, you can get the audiobook for sometimes 1.99 or 2.99 if you own the kindle ebook. I love that I can email books to my device, I love their website, which is my number one ebook discovery tool, and the fact that if there us an issue with a book, I can return it within 7 days with the click of a button.

Really, one of these things would be reason enough to stay in their ecosystem, but all of them combined just make me wonder why anyone would ever want to use any other vendor.

I pre-ordered the PW2.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:42 AM   #10
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I don't have a perfect Kindle PW1, and, in fact, exchanged mine many times when it came out, and settled for the least bad screen. That's because I have above-average color vision, and could see color blobs on all of them, along with pinpricks, smudges under the screen, bright spots where the light was shining through, etc. Buying a good PW last year was no walk in the park. Why did I not just return them all and call it a day? Because it is still an awesome device.

I love the Amazon ecosystem and their unbelievable customer service, plus the fact that, if you have a US account, you can get the audiobook for sometimes 1.99 or 2.99 if you own the kindle ebook. I love that I can email books to my device, I love their website, which is my number one ebook discovery tool, and the fact that if there us an issue with a book, I can return it within 7 days with the click of a button.

Really, one of these things would be reason enough to stay in their ecosystem, but all of them combined just make me wonder why anyone would ever want to use any other vendor.

I pre-ordered the PW2.
I totally realized that when I had my fling with Kobo.... . I really wish I had resisted and not bought the Aura HD and the mini, which both now sit around, untouched, since July for the Aura and end of August for the mini. I am back to my true love, my PW1, and eagerly expecting the PW2.

Last edited by aceflor; 09-29-2013 at 03:58 PM.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Well, I love the smaller size, lighter weight, and better lighting of the Glo (and the mini, except for the light). Also love that it can be managed via Calibre without rooting.

My paperwhite has a beautiful text display, but the lighting is not good. I am hopeful that the PW2 will be better. Even with a better screen, it will still be bigger and heavier. Maybe next year they will make a Paperwhite Mini, that would make me happy!

My Mini is the best for taking on the go...so small and light, I just love it.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #12
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I have multiple ereaders and tablets but nothing would part me from my Paperwhite, it truly is the best overall ereader.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:17 PM   #13
lkkmaths
lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Kindle 3; PRS-350
I have a Kobo Glo. It's small and light. Compared with Paperwhite, it's more comfortable to hold. Believe me, when you hold a reader for hours, one or two ounces do count.

It's light is more uniform and it's fonts crisp, though the contrast is not as good as Paperwhite.

It is a wonderful reader if the software is not buggy.

First, it's not responsive. The screen always lag a bit when you touch it. It even freezes if you are impatient and touch it in quite succession.

Every time I unplug the reader from the computer, it takes about 10 minutes to scan the files before it is ready for reading. Long time waiting.

Finally, the dictionary is next to useless. Many times when I look up the dictionary, it gives me nil return or just very sketchy explanation.

I find that I use the Paperwhite most of the time.
lkkmaths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:01 PM   #14
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I won't lie, I got very tempted by the Kobo Mini, and now the Aura (until I read aboit the Aura's screen issues), because of their size. I also wish Amazon came up with a smaller, lit reader.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:02 PM   #15
Orn8one
Groupie

Thank you all. All your comments have been very interesting and I've enjoyed reading your experiences.
I hadn't thought about weight and shall look it up but I don't think it will affect my use. I like a flip case so I can prop my reader up. I rarely hold it, just support it.
I've been doing too much supporting of Kobo.com though and look forward to taking advantage of the Amazon website. Hope I won't need customer service but if I do I shall contact them with confidence.
It is a shame about Kobo, the e-readers need to work as well as be pretty! An efficient website is essential too if e-reading is to work for the customer. I have never felt customers are important to Kobo, they appear so disinterested in them.
Thanks GoSharks, I am looking forward to my "diversion" so I can make my escape! It will be very soon!