Notices

Old 03-11-2008, 07:38 AM   #1
jasem200
Enthusiast
jasem200 began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
i cant transfer files to CF

hi

i installed the iliad companion software and it created the shared folder automaticaly.
when i put files in outbox\CF they will not transfer to my iLiad CF. and it showes that transfer completed,
when i put the same files in outbox\internal\books . they transferd.

my Q how can i put files directly into my CF, or MMC.

thank you.
jasem200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:45 AM   #2
JimBob1971
Enthusiast
JimBob1971 began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad v2
I've just got a CF card too and have a few questions:

Can I just plug it in and let the Iliad format it or do I have to do it myself?
Can I tranfer between memory and CF using the Iliad , or does it have to be with computer?

Cheers,
J
JimBob1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2008, 09:48 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The iLiad only "exports" one filesystem at a time via USB to your PC. Which filesystem to export (internal,USB,CF,MMC) is selectable via the 3rd page of the settings.

Based on what other E-Ink reader devices are capable of doing, the iLiad really should be able to export both the internal filesystem and one other filesystem (USB,CF,MMC) at the same time to a PC. This would simplify PC-mediated file transfers. Perhaps in a future release we will catch up to the newer devices.

There isn't an easy way to transfer files directly between internal and CF. It is possible using mrxvt (if you know Linux commands) or emelFM2.

jasem200: I don't use the companion software, but does outbox\CF fail when the CF filesystem is exported to the PC? I use Windows XP's normal file copy procedure to get files from the PC to the CF card. It is like any USB mounted "memory stick", e.g. look in "my computer" for a removable drive.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:00 AM   #4
JimBob1971
Enthusiast

Thanks wallcraft.

One final question - I changed my settings to specify CF card for books etc, but now when I hit the 'books' button nothing is found. I'm assuming the Iliad can only deal with one location... shame

Last edited by JimBob1971; 03-11-2008 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:04 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBob1971 View Post
One final question - I changed my settings to specify CF card for books etc, but now when I hit the 'books' button nothing is found. I'm assuming the Iliad can only deal with one location... shame
There is a work-around, see softlinks via manifest.xml. With this approach, I suggest leaving "books" on internal memory but include a "link" to books on the cf card in this directory. The "softlinks" discussion may not be entirely clear. Let me know if you need an actual example.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2008, 11:09 AM   #6
JimBob1971
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
There is a work-around, see softlinks via manifest.xml. With this approach, I suggest leaving "books" on internal memory but include a "link" to books on the cf card in this directory. The "softlinks" discussion may not be entirely clear. Let me know if you need an actual example.
Hmmm. Went over my head a bit. I'll take another look after work. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:44 PM   #7
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Has anyone tried putting a link in internal memory that points to a directory on a card. What happens if you tell it to export internal memory over the USB connection and then copy a book to the link. Will it get put on the card, even though technically you're only exporting the internal memory?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote