Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-23-2012, 07:27 AM   #301
firefly07a
firefly07a began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5.3
Creating collections from Calibre

I have a kindle Paperwhite 5.3 and I have successfully jailbroken it. I have also installed the Kindlet Jailbreak and the developer certificates bundle from the links on the first post. I installed the CollectionsManager.azw2 and it does show up on the kindle. On the kindle it seems to work correctly allowing me to create collections and move items in them.

Hoever when I try and create collection from Calibre, using the Kindle collection plug in v1.7.11, it doesn't work. On the computer it says that collections have been saved on the Kindle but they don't show up there even after I restart the Kindle.

How can I get the collections to work from Calibre, did I miss a step somewhere?
firefly07a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:30 AM   #302
victor_2203
Connoisseur
victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hello.
I have installed the new version of Collections Manager 2.3.1, and now I can't use the GUI Launcher extension previously installed. When I try to use the GUI Laucher menu and select the Collections Manager option, it shows a error "There was an error trying to close this content..." Is there any new version of the GUI Launcher extension for the Collections Manager 2.3.1?
victor_2203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2012, 09:23 PM   #303
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly07a View Post
Hoever when I try and create collection from Calibre, using the Kindle collection plug in v1.7.11, it doesn't work. On the computer it says that collections have been saved on the Kindle but they don't show up there even after I restart the Kindle.

How can I get the collections to work from Calibre, did I miss a step somewhere?
Launch the Collections Manager on your kindle. Choose "import collections from calibre" from the settings menu from within Collections Manager. WAIT a while as the collections manager imports them. Depending on how many books and collections you have, it may take several minutes.

For more detail, look at the first page of the calibre plugin thread and expand the instructions section for first time use.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #304
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@firefly07a: Try with the tweaked plugin, which will actually show proper feedback when used on a Touch/PW. (Hint: restarting doesn't enter the equation at all on those devices, you need to use CM ).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:18 AM   #305
centhena
Enthusiast
centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite
So I've just gotten my brandnew paperwhite jailbroken with my sleepscreens all back in place from my old K3, resized of course and I've finally gotten to play with this lovely piece of magic. I really cannot tell you how amazingly wonderful I this manager is. The only way this could be better in my opinion would be if we could choose cover art for our collections somehow, but we can't have everything. It does exactly what I've always wanted to do with my Kindle Books. It lets me order them by Author then Series. I've been dying for this for YEARS! You have made my Christmas that much better and I wanted to say Thanks!!! :o)

Last edited by centhena; 12-26-2012 at 01:21 AM.
centhena is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #306
firefly07a
firefly07a began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5.3
Thank you, it works perfectly now!
firefly07a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #307
centhena
Enthusiast
centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

I'm completely in love with this, but I'm having a problem I'm not quite sure how to solve. I skimmed through this thread and didn't see anyone else reporting the problem, but it didn't start until I started using Calibur along with the Collection Manager to create my series collections and then nest them under their author. Everything is out of order. When I loaded up my kindle before I started messing around with the jailbreak, or installing this or the screensaver hack which is the only other thing I have installed, everything was in order using sort by collections then author sort inside the collections. I was using the set the publication dates in descending order trick to get them in order. Is there something different I need to do? Is there something I'm missing? If it's helpful I'm using a Paperwhite with FW 5.3.1.

Edit: Okay so I wiped all the books off my whole Kindle and started from scratch with my collections. Adding books (not collections) through Calibur and then manually creating a collection through the kindle interface completely bypassing the Collection Manager still has my books out of order. I'm really not sure why. It worked fine before I started tinkering with it so something I've done has caused a problem. Perhaps I put in something I didn't need or didn't do something correctly? Pardon my newbness, I'll try to keep all of this relevant.

I installed:

Jailbreak

Kindle Paperwhite Jailbreak:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=198446

Collection Manager

Collections Manager 2.3.1
Kindlet
Dev Certificates Bundle
(found at the begining of this thread)

Now I installed these out of order because I'm stupid and didn't read properly thinking "eh, I got this".... stupid.... anyway.... I installed the collections manager first but it wouldn't load so I installed the dev certificates bundle but still hadn't noticed Kindlet. Still no dice, so I installed Kindlet and then everything worked. I'm not sure if I messed something up doing it in the wrong order but there ya go...

The only other thing I installed was the...

Screensaver Hack

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195474

This had me install linkss 0.6.N and python 0.2.N

I did this part last and it seems to be working fine. I'm only including it here in the event that it's relevant since I installed it last. I didn't notice if my collections were already out of order before I installed it...

Anyway any help or suggestions anyone may have are highly appreciated. :o)

Last edited by centhena; 12-26-2012 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Adding more info
Old 12-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #308
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by centhena View Post
I'm completely in love with this, but I'm having a problem I'm not quite sure how to solve. I skimmed through this thread and didn't see anyone else reporting the problem, but it didn't start until I started using Calibur along with the Collection Manager to create my series collections and then nest them under their author. Everything is out of order. When I loaded up my kindle before I started messing around with the jailbreak, or installing this or the screensaver hack which is the only other thing I have installed, everything was in order using sort by collections then author sort inside the collections. I was using the set the publication dates in descending order trick to get them in order. Is there something different I need to do? Is there something I'm missing? If it's helpful I'm using a Paperwhite with FW 5.3.1.
Kindle does not support nested collections normally. As a result the way CM handles it you loose the ability for your Kindle to display the collections first and then all non-collections items afterwards. If you want the sub-collections to display first, you will need to change the sort to "title" and make sure your sub-collections are in front (e.g. by leading 000 or something).

The Kindle does not have the ability to sort by book number either. So if you want to have it sort by books in a series then you will have to add the book number to the title of the book. Calibre can do that automatically for you by using metadata plugboards. You would need to check out the calibre forum for specifics and more details, but here is a plugboard you can use for including the book-number as part of the title.

Example (quick and dirty):
In calibre goto to preferences/import-export/metadata plugboards and choose:
from format: any format
device: KINDLE
source template: {series_index:0>2s} - {title}
destination field: title

Now every time you send a book to your Kindle from calibre (via send to device) the metadata of the book will be changed to include the book number in a series as part of the title of the book with one leading 0 for book 1-9. So for example if you have The Dresden Files then the first book (Storm Front) will get the metadata changed on the file that is beeing send to the Kindle to: 01 - Storm Front. Whereas the last book (so far) would be changed to: 14 - Cold Days.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #309
centhena
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Kindle does not support nested collections normally. As a result the way CM handles it you loose the ability for your Kindle to display the collections first and then all non-collections items afterwards. If you want the sub-collections to display first, you will need to change the sort to "title" and make sure your sub-collections are in front (e.g. by leading 000 or something).
I'm not trying to do this. I'm perfectly happy with only the uppermost level collections being on my homepage. I do get single books that are not in any collection afterward and should that stop working I'm perfectly okay with having a { Non-Series } collection for books that are stand alone.

Quote:
The Kindle does not have the ability to sort by book number either. So if you want to have it sort by books in a series then you will have to add the book number to the title of the book. Calibre can do that automatically for you by using metadata plugboards. You would need to check out the calibre forum for specifics and more details, but here is a plugboard you can use for including the book-number as part of the title.
I've never used plugboards before in Calibre. They've always kinda scared me and seemed intimidating. With my Kindle 3 I had all my books in order using the publication date. I created collections for book series and then in that collection I would have all of the books in order using Author Sort. It would draw the order information from the publication date I set in Calibur and everything was in the right order without having to add numbers in front of my titles, something I'd prefer for the sake of cosmetics to not have to do. i had to manually go in and adjust the publication dates so they'd be in reverse order with the most recent volume showing as the oldest and so on. It worked great. This method was working on my Paperwhite before I started playing around with it. Perhaps I'm just not understanding, but are you saying that with the Collection Manager installed I'm no longer able to do this and HAVE to use a plugboard with numbers in front of my titles to have things appear in the right order?

Quote:
Example (quick and dirty):
In calibre goto to preferences/import-export/metadata plugboards and choose:
from format: any format
device: KINDLE
source template: {series_index:0>2s} - {title}
destination field: title

Now every time you send a book to your Kindle from calibre (via send to device) the metadata of the book will be changed to include the book number in a series as part of the title of the book with one leading 0 for book 1-9. So for example if you have The Dresden Files then the first book (Storm Front) will get the metadata changed on the file that is beeing send to the Kindle to: 01 - Storm Front. Whereas the last book (so far) would be changed to: 14 - Cold Days.
Thank you! This makes me feel much more comfortable playing with plugboards. I will try this and if I'm not able to get them in the right order without putting numbers in front, that will be my fix.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:20 PM   #310
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm not trying to do this. I'm perfectly happy with only the uppermost level collections being on my homepage. I do get single books that are not in any collection afterward and should that stop working I'm perfectly okay with having a { Non-Series } collection for books that are stand alone.
I believe that the Homepage (top most level) looks the same with CM or not. You need to have sort method set to "collection" to not show all the books that are part of a collection. The only items that don't show up when sorting other than "collection" are sub-collections and invisible items you switched invisible in CM.

Quote:
I've never used plugboards before in Calibre. They've always kinda scared me and seemed intimidating. With my Kindle 3 I had all my books in order using the publication date. I created collections for book series and then in that collection I would have all of the books in order using Author Sort. It would draw the order information from the publication date I set in Calibur and everything was in the right order without having to add numbers in front of my titles, something I'd prefer for the sake of cosmetics to not have to do. i had to manually go in and adjust the publication dates so they'd be in reverse order with the most recent volume showing as the oldest and so on. It worked great. This method was working on my Paperwhite before I started playing around with it. Perhaps I'm just not understanding, but are you saying that with the Collection Manager installed I'm no longer able to do this and HAVE to use a plugboard with numbers in front of my titles to have things appear in the right order?
No, I am saying that having the number in the title works. I have not found another way that works - which doesn't mean it doesn't exist. If I sort by author on the Kindle Touch and the Paperwhites it appears to me to be sorting by author, and then by title - might be coincidence. I think it more likely that sorting on the newer Kindles changed from e.g. Kindle Keyboard. My first Kindle was a Touch, so I am unaware of a change that might have happened prior.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #311
centhena
Enthusiast

I figured I'd give the plugboard thing a go just to have a method that worked established before I go tinkering around trying to make it work to my preference. It works! YAY! It has the numbers, which I'm not loving, but everything is in the right order. I just thought I'd post an update. For the device rather than KINDLE I had to use KINDLE2 for it to work because Calibur says my Paperwhite device is a "Kindle2". Other than that the plugboard worked perfectly.

Not to seem overly picky or ungrateful, but the numbers really do bother me. I'll learn to love it if there's no other solution, but I'd prefer to not have the numbers displayed as part of the title on my Kindle. Anyone have any other solutions like the publication date trick I was using on my Kindle 3 that will get my books to list in the right order without the numbers?
Old 12-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #312
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Not to seem overly picky or ungrateful, but the numbers really do bother me. I'll learn to love it if there's no other solution, but I'd prefer to not have the numbers displayed as part of the title on my Kindle. Anyone have any other solutions like the publication date trick?
1) Create a textfile for each series listing the order of the books

2) Create sub-collections for each book number - this can even be automated if using the "create collections from filestructure" feature. Calibre can save each book into its own subfolder in a series - this time not through plugboards, but the send to device option.

1) and 2) not really what you want, so I thought up something else:

3) mess with the author tag in plugboards instead of title - as in adding the booknumber in front, then the normal authors, and then select sort by author - the title would be nice, if you can live with weird authors ...

edit: or adding the # after the author - as it should be the same author for a series - this way sorting by authors still would sort correctly

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 12-26-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #313
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Hmmm well I tried the plugboard, using "kindle" and "kindle2" and the numbers did not show up for me. Wonder what I am doing wrong. I have plugboards working for my Sonys.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #314
centhena
Enthusiast

Quote:

3) mess with the author tag in plugboards instead of title - as in adding the booknumber in front, then the normal authors, and then select sort by author - the title would be nice, if you can live with weird authors ...

edit: or adding the # after the author - as it should be the same author for a series - this way sorting by authors still would sort correctly
Hmmm... since it only effects the books post move to kindle and not the calibre library itself that might work as well... I could put the number after the Author's name... Honestly I think this would bug me only slightly less than having it in the title.

I wonder if for some reason the publication date metadata is being changed somehow or for some reason no longer being read. I know this method of sorting works on the Paperwhite in general because I was using it before I modified my kindle. The loss of this functionality has something to do with something I've installed. It's just a matter of figuring out why it has stopped working and fix it. Hopefully it's something I've done and I can just fix it once I figure out what it is, rather than the problem being in one of the mods then I'll have to just hope the dev in question decides to put the work in to make it function.

Is there a way to use the plugboards to modify the publication date field of the metadata?
Old 12-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #315
centhena
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Hmmm well I tried the plugboard, using "kindle" and "kindle2" and the numbers did not show up for me.
When you connect your kindle and then go into Preferences>Metadata Plugboards and look where it says "Device currently connected". Use what ever it says there... That's how I figured out I needed to use "Kindle2" for mine because it didn't work for me either using just "Kindle". Hope that helps.

Tags
collections, collections manager, kindle touch hacks