Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #271
rorogio
Enthusiast
rorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kindle PW
icons for CM 2.2.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
OK, done. Give it a bit of time, and you should be able to edit it yourself soon. BTW, what about those icons you promised?

PS: Oh, I just saw your previous answer. So yes of course, I meant "grayscale", not strictly 1-bit. But as you can judge from my images, I can do pixel images, but not much more
thanks.

Here are the icons. Hope you and users like these better. If accepted and program updated I will also update the "help" image.

Just as you are better with programming I prefer dealing with images more

If any changes needed, will do when time available (asap)
Attached Files
File Type: zip icons for CM 2.2.1.zip (56.8 KB, 364 views)

Last edited by rorogio; 12-13-2012 at 07:13 PM.
rorogio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:14 PM   #272
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorogio View Post
thanks.

Here are the icons. Hope you and users like these better. If accepted and program updated I will also update the "help" image.

Just as you are better with programming I prefer dealing with images more

If any changes needed, will do when time available
Thanks a lot!

I'll just attach the new version so that everybody can try it and report back. You may need to restart your device before you see the new icons.

A few personal comments:

1. I don't really see the difference between the "copy/move/(hide/show)" icons. Are you sure that they are more intuitive and easier to distinguish now?
2. For some reason, all of the icons end up looking smaller now. Might be something with the image format, or the framework, or both.
3. All of the grayed out icons look.... ummm... horrible.
4. I assume that you're OK with the software license, which would also apply to your images if they are incorporated.

Thanks for all feedback!

Edit: attachment removed.

Last edited by ixtab; 12-14-2012 at 03:45 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2012, 08:30 AM   #273
rorogio
Enthusiast
rorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than mom

Quote:

1. I don't really see the difference between the "copy/move/(hide/show)" icons. Are you sure that they are more intuitive and easier to distinguish now?
2. For some reason, all of the icons end up looking smaller now. Might be something with the image format, or the framework, or both.
3. All of the grayed out icons look.... ummm... horrible.
4. I assume that you're OK with the software license, which would also apply to your images if they are incorporated.
Thanks for the build! Me kinda like it, but it all depends on taste, and still functionality is still more important than exterior.

Here are the simply grayed out to 50% of the original black icons.
My idea was to make those unclickable buttons with no image at all, as in those states they are no buttons to click... maybe some white image for all would be better. Just my point of view.

Yes, the images are visually more little as they have more elements on them, but they are the same in pixels anyway. Also the frame is quite large which makes them seem even more minimalistic.

I made them based on royalty free icons, but all are unique from pixels point of view, as I changed pixels in all manually. So no copy-paste material here

I will think on some bigger and intuitive icons then. Maybe next week (asap).
Attached Files
File Type: zip gray.zip (25.1 KB, 351 views)
Old 12-14-2012, 12:33 PM   #274
rorogio
Enthusiast

I still cannot edit my older messages, so I'm writing this new one.

Attached is the screen-shot of how the buttons look like in the program.

As you can see the green zone is the 25x25 pix square, just as the original icons.
I used this space at its maximum. You can also see the orange space that is quite big. Is it possible to give more space to the buttons? This way they could grow to at least 50x50 pix which is almost double.

The only problem that I suppose is that because KT has a lower resolution, such buttons might not have enough space on the screen. So maybe 36x36 or 48x48 would be OK for both? What would you say?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012_12_14T19_14_47+0203.png
Views:	425
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	97686  
Old 12-14-2012, 03:42 PM   #275
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, here are two screenshots of how it looks like on both the Touch and the Paperwhite using 50x50 images. I simply took your images and scaled them up, so it's not terribly good quality. But other than that, I guess that should do, so natively using 50x50 (or maybe 48x48) should be ok.

One more thing: if you take a careful look at the KT screenshot, you'll see that the "trash" icon seems to have the lowest one or two pixels cut off, so it looks slightly asymmetric. I don't know what causes this, but I guess the easiest solution is to simply use 48x48 / 46x46 images with a 1 or 2px (transparent) border on each side.

So... what do the other people here think?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kindle-paperwhite.png
Views:	536
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	97701   Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle-touch.gif
Views:	477
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	97702  

Last edited by ixtab; 12-19-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Advert
Old 12-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #276
rorogio
Enthusiast

Quote:
One more thing: if you take a careful look at the KT screenshot, you'll see that the "trash" icon seems to have the lowest one or two pixels cut off...
Not sure about that cutoff, as the other icons don't have that problem, maybe just from the resize.

Yeees, that looks a lot better now! Enough place for everything!
Actually I could even add a small text under the images too if you want to, as there is enough place
I will do some 2-3 variants in 48x48 pix size maybe at the end of this weekend or asap.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #277
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I think the new icons look nice....but when I put in the new one, my icons are the same.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #278
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Actually I could even add a small text under the images too if you want to, as there is enough place
Nope, no text please. The entire idea of the icons is to avoid text - not everybody speaks english...

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I think the new icons look nice....but when I put in the new one, my icons are the same.
Restart the device. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me either, but something seems to be caching those icons somewhere. Restarting the framework solves that.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #279
rorogio
Enthusiast

new icons 48x48

Here are new icons 48x48 for CM.
All are originally made. Hope you like them!
Attached Files
File Type: zip noi -48x48.zip (49.4 KB, 354 views)

Last edited by rorogio; 12-19-2012 at 06:06 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:52 AM   #280
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Quote:
Nope, no text please. The entire idea of the icons is to avoid text - not everybody speaks english...
Sounds good, however I can never understand the images and usually end up hovering over them (on a computer) hoping that some text will show up. As a recent Kindle user I am still learning and although I can use CM to get my collections from Calibre, I haven't yet worked out how to use CM to file away other documents as I can't make head or tail of the image icons. We're all different I suppose, but personally, even it was in a language I'm unfamiliar with, I could google the translation easier than working out the meaning of the image.

Quite apart from this I would like to add my thanks for all the work you do, I wouldn't have chosen a Kindle at all if the extra JB options weren't available.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #281
rorogio
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2012 View Post
Sounds good, however I can never understand the images....
sorry, there is help image for this.
if you have time to search a google translation you'll surely find time to read help
Old 12-19-2012, 05:20 PM   #282
ixtab
(offline)

Version 2.3.0

Collections Manager 2.3.0 now comes with shiny new icons!

Many thanks to rorogio for the effort spent in designing the new icons!

Download the new version from the first post. Note: for some obscure reason, you'll probably have to restart the framework after the installation to see the new icons.

I'd be grateful if somebody more skilled with graphics than I am could update the "help" picture - I'm only trying to find my way around in Gimp all the time, for hours, without any useful result.

I'm attaching a non-redacted "blueprint" file that could be used (but feel free to use a different one; it just makes sense to use a Kindle Touch screenshot, because it shows the search field which isn't there on the PW). The commented version should contain pretty much the same information as the current one, with the following notes:
- it should be clear that the search functionality works on the Kindle Touch only
- ideally, it would point out that "Sans Serif Bold [X]" indicates a collection with X elements, while "Serif" indicates a normal item; that a gray item is not visible on the home screen, while a black one is; and that the "(number)" to the right indicates the number of collections the item is contained in.

Of course, you'll be given proper credits. (But you'll also have to agree to publish your work under the DWTFYWTPL).

Thanks for your contribution!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CollectionsManager-Help-Blueprint.png
Views:	445
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	97946  

Last edited by ixtab; 12-19-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:20 PM   #283
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
sorry, there is help image for this.
if you have time to search a google translation you'll surely find time to read help
+1
Old 12-19-2012, 05:34 PM   #284
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
@ixtab great works nicely, thank you very much.

I just don't understand the help file CollectionsManager-help.png - all the icons are different

haha, gotcha
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:54 PM   #285
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Some advice please

First, love this hack (like all the work you devs do). I think I am doing something wrong, but not sure which step in my pathway is causing the issue.

My setup: Mac OS X with Calibre (0.9.7) with Kindle Collections GUI plugin used with KPW 5.3.1 (JB with screensavers and collections manager hacks installed).

Originally, I installed CM 2.2.1 on my JB 5.2.1 KPW and added all my books and used the kindle collections gui plugin to save my collections info on my KPW. I then imported my collections from calibre in the CM hack. Worked great, have all my collections and was able to hide those I don't want to show up and it looks awesome. I have since updated my KPW and the hacks to the latest versions.

Problem: now I connect my KPW to calibre and send new books to the KPW followed by saving the collections to the KPW using the GUI plugin in calibre. I disconnect my KPW and then run into problems with the new books not being sorted into the pre-existing collections. I figured I just have to re-"import calibre collections" from within CM, but this doesn't work. I have tried to restart before and after re-importing with no difference - the new books don't sort into collections and just sit on the home page with the heading of "new".

Sorry if there is an easy answer to this. I couldn't figure it out when I looked through this thread or the GUI kindle collections thread in the calibre forum. Not sure where my workflow is falling apart or if this is a problem between the KPW, CM, and the calibre plugin.

Any advice would be appreciated.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collections, collections manager, kindle touch hacks