Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
kuklachica
Enthusiast
kuklachica began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G/WiFi
Importing Collections - Only original collections??

I have had several Kindles - older versions and also some replacements due to defects. I now have a Touch. I had organized all of my books into categories several devices ago and since have tweaked the collection names, added some, etc. However, when I go to import collections to my new Kindle, I am only given the option of importing collections from the device they were ORIGINALLY created on. Thus, any tweaking I have done in the past year is completely lost. I can only download my first basic and flawed versions of the collections from a year ago. I will have to rename and re-tweak all of the collections again. And I will have to do this for any device in the future should I decide to change anything around. I'm not even sure what the point of the "Import Collection" feature is if the latest version of the collections can't be downloaded???

Is there any way around this? Another program? Something I am missing? I don't want to have to spend a whole bunch of time AGAIN to re-do collections all over again!!!

Thank you!!
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:52 PM   #2
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Unfortunately the Touch is hit and miss when it comes to importing collections. I find if I wait a day or two I have a better chance of importing the most recent updates. Also, if I do them in batches of 100 or less I usually get better results. I've also been using my k4pc app to manage my collections, because my Touch still has my old kindle2, a defective Touch and a kindle3 listed on my account to import collections from although all three of those devices are not showing up on my Manage my Devices page.

Nyn
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
kuklachica
Enthusiast
kuklachica began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G/WiFi
Thank you for the response. Same thing here - old, defective and defunct Kindles are showing up on my "collections" import page, but they are not on my registered list. Some have even been sold to other people, and yet I still see the collections I made on those old ones listed. I have a Mac - can I do collections on the Mac program as can be done with the PC program?

This Kindle touch was a replacement for another one that had ghosting issues. This one is even worse. That's 4 Touches with progressively worse ghosting issues (which I never had on my K3). Between this and the collections issues, I am NOT happy with the quality at all.
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
I assume that the mac version works similar to the pc version. Sorry you are having such issues with the ghosting, I was lucky only the first one suffered from the ghosting. Though I will admit I am not happy about this collections thing, I think I am going to replace it with the nonTouch version within the year so I can use the Calibre plugin for the collections. I have not been able to get any additional benefit from having the Touch over my k2 due to this limitation.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
Rebecca_06
Rebecca_06 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuklachica View Post
Thank you for the response. Same thing here - old, defective and defunct Kindles are showing up on my "collections" import page, but they are not on my registered list. Some have even been sold to other people, and yet I still see the collections I made on those old ones listed. I have a Mac - can I do collections on the Mac program as can be done with the PC program?
If you mean create collections in the Kindle app and then copy those collections over to your Kindle, then yes. I've done this successfully with my macbook and KT. Go to Archived Items > Menu > Import Collections on your Kindle, and choose your mac. Or am I misunderstanding the question?

I'm with you on wanting to replace the Touch, though. Mine was a gift and, as much as I do love it, I hate not being able to manage my collections with Calibre. Had I purchased it myself, I'd likely have returned it by now and bought another Sony. I'm holding out the hope that some brilliant person will figure out how to use the Kindle Collections plugin with the KT. *crosses fingers*
Rebecca_06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca_06 View Post
I'm holding out the hope that some brilliant person will figure out how to use the Kindle Collections plugin with the KT. *crosses fingers*
Can't be done, I'm afraid. The issue is that the file which stores collection information is no longer in the public filestore, but in the internal partition, which isn't visible to the PC.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
Rebecca_06
Rebecca_06 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Ugh. I wondered why I could find the collections database on my computer, but not anywhere on the KT.
Rebecca_06 is offline   Reply With Quote