Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-08-2010, 01:25 AM   #1
AthenaAtDelphi
"Gnothi Seauton"
AthenaAtDelphi doesn't litterAthenaAtDelphi doesn't litter

Device: Asus Eee 1000H, BeBook Mini, Kindle 3 WiFi
K3 WiFi couldn't find Wi-Fi networks

I just had to reset my K3 WiFi because when I turned it on (after not using it for approx. 20 hours), it couldn't find any Wi-Fi network. Not even my own network, and I'm sitting practically next to the modem.

It was the first time I had this problem with the K3 WiFi.
After resetting everything seems to be OK again.

Has anyone else had this problem ?
AthenaAtDelphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:22 AM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
I've not had this problem but if a reset fixed it then I wouldn't worry about it as it is most likely some sort of software issue and not an actual fault with your Kindle itself. You can try talking to Amazon CS but they'll probably just tell you to ignore it unless it happens again.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2010, 03:50 AM   #3
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Yes, had the same problem. I think it is because of IP address conflict (but when it comes to network setups I'm a Luddite) if you start up something else when your Kindle is closed it receives the Kindle IP and then off course it can't exchange data with the WiFi router after that. I'm sure there are more knowledgeable people here that can explain it. But no, you're not alone.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:39 AM   #4
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I had to set up a static IP for my K3 (I do that for all my connected devices) but I've always been able to detect networks. Sometimes, when I wake up my K3 it may take a few minutes to detect my network.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:13 AM   #5
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Only saw this after the first FW upgrade. With FW 3.0.0.0 (?) K3 reconnected fine with my networks with no SSID broadcast on router. After FW update 1 (sorry can't remember version ) K3 would NOT reconnect unless I enabled SSID broadcast on router.
Don't know if this helps.
But otherwise no problems like this here.
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2010, 10:18 AM   #6
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have tried to connect to my network with the ssid not broadcast and it will not find even after making a connection and setting the partnership. I am no using 3.0.2 and I still can not hide my ssid.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:12 AM   #7
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

FW version ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I have tried to connect to my network with the ssid not broadcast and it will not find even after making a connection and setting the partnership. I am no using 3.0.2 and I still can not hide my ssid.
What is your firmware version ?
3.0.1 ?
(choose home, menu, settings, FW is listed on the bottom line on the right)
I REALLY hope you have the problems I had, just to make sure it's not just ME loosing it, getting too old, etc.
It DID work on the original 3.0.0 firmware for sure. I tested it carefully.
;-D
Old 10-08-2010, 11:29 AM   #8
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchrist7 View Post
What is your firmware version ?
3.0.1 ?
(choose home, menu, settings, FW is listed on the bottom line on the right)
I REALLY hope you have the problems I had, just to make sure it's not just ME loosing it, getting too old, etc.
;-D
I am using the preview 3.0.2
Old 10-08-2010, 11:29 AM   #9
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchrist7 View Post
Amazon updated the WiFi driver in 3.0.1 so it is possible.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:43 AM   #10
pchrist7
Addict

So unless someone has a better idea, I think you have to make your router broadcast your SSID for automatic reconnect to work. At least that my experience. Don't like it, but haven't found a work-around so far.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:48 AM   #11
cvkemp
Loving life

Yes I broadcast my ssid but I do mac address filtering and use wpa 2 personal security.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:45 PM   #12
Tiersten
Guru

Ah. I've only just noticed that the original poster is in Europe. Check what WiFi channel your router is using. The US only allows channels 1 to 11 but other regions like Europe allow 1 to 13. If the Kindle isn't correctly designed by Amazon to set the Europe region if you're in Europe then it won't see your WiFi access point if you're using channel 12 or 13.

Rebooting or altering the settings on the router is making it restart and rechoose a channel if it is in automatic channel mode.

I've noticed several US designed/made devices which just assume that you're in the US and don't allow you to change the channel allocations. In these cases, you should change the channel on your WiFi access point and fix it at 1, 6 or 11 since they're the generally non overlapping channels.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:10 PM   #13
AthenaAtDelphi
"Gnothi Seauton"
AthenaAtDelphi doesn't litterAthenaAtDelphi doesn't litter

Device: Asus Eee 1000H, BeBook Mini, Kindle 3 WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
Ah. I've only just noticed that the original poster is in Europe. Check what WiFi channel your router is using.
I just checked the specs of my router (via IE8), and these are the relevant specs :

Interface Type: 802.11b/g
Actual Speed: 54 Mbps
Band: 2.4G Hz
Channel Selection: Auto
Region: Europe
Channel: 6

So the selected channel is OK.

And come to think of it, the channel of my router couldn't be the cause of the problem. Because like I wrote in my original post, the K3 couldn't find any WiFi networks, meaning that the K3 was causing the problem .

But like I also wrote, resetting the K3 solved it .

Last edited by AthenaAtDelphi; 10-08-2010 at 10:22 PM.
AthenaAtDelphi is offline   Reply With Quote