Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-14-2007, 05:06 AM   #1
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iRex iLiad
I want wikipedia...

... but how to do it?

http://www.softlab.ntua.gr/~ttsiod/b...iaOffline.html

is this possibly, oh mighty iLiad developers? 2.7 GB is a lot, but with modern 4 or 8 GB flash card I'd gladly reserve that space on my cf card. As long as you stay away from media files, storage is plentiful...
narve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:38 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by narve View Post
... but how to do it?

is this possibly, oh mighty iLiad developers? 2.7 GB is a lot, but with modern 4 or 8 GB flash card I'd gladly reserve that space on my cf card. As long as you stay away from media files, storage is plentiful...

There already is one in Mobipocket format in German, and Tome Raider in English.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...line+wikipedia
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:20 PM   #3
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by narve View Post
... but how to do it?

I'm playing with that script now. I'll see what I can come up with for the iLiad.

The problem is distributing it... If I do make an iLiad specific version, it's way too big to host anywhere...
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:23 PM   #4
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
I would be willing to set up a host.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:33 PM   #5
sammykrupa
Reader of the Reader
sammykrupa doesn't littersammykrupa doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
A reader version would be very nice too, although I am wondering how easily one would be able to navigate such a thing.

Last edited by sammykrupa; 08-14-2007 at 02:48 PM.
sammykrupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:04 PM   #6
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammykrupa View Post
A reader version would be very nice too, although I am wondering how easily one would be able to navigate such a thing.
I'd say that without text or stylus entry, it'd be darn near impossible to even search for anything with it...
Old 08-15-2007, 01:04 AM   #7
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
I doubt that anyone has the resources to do the english Wikipedia as Mobipocket ebook.
The german version at 500 MB took several days on several computers to generate.
It would also be over 2 GB which is the practical limit for SD cards.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:31 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Marquard View Post
I doubt that anyone has the resources to do the english Wikipedia as Mobipocket ebook.
The german version at 500 MB took several days on several computers to generate.
It would also be over 2 GB which is the practical limit for SD cards.
The iLiad supports 4GB CF cards, but I'm not at all sure that the MobiPocket Reader (or any other) would be happy to load a 4GB file .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 05:48 AM   #9
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
It would be several files anyway. The real problem is that not all devices being able to show Mobipocket files can handle 4 GB SD cards. That means you have a device specific Mobipocket ebook. I am sure Mobipocket would frown upon this.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:22 AM   #10
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Well, I've got the posted solution working from the terminal. It required a port of php, perl, bzip2, and xapian. With the database, it uses almost my entire 4gb CF card.

Extracting from the bzip archive and generating the html is a bit slow (~12 seconds), but it's doable. If someone could write a gtk gui for it....we would have the wikipedia in the palm of our hands!

Code:
root@ereader:/mnt/cf/offline.wikipedia# ./mywiki.pl iliad
0: (abort)
1: (100%) Iliad
2: (72%) The Iliad
3: (72%) Little Iliad
4: (72%) Ambrosian Iliad
5: (63%) Category:Characters in the Iliad
6: (63%) Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Ambrosian Iliad
7: (63%) Wikipedia:Votes for deletion/Ambrosian Iliad

Select a number: 1
This is the search program. It's case insensitive, so I think the article about the iRex iLiad is overwritten by the book...

Code:
Selected:
        Iliad
        rec00153enwiki-20070802-pages-articles.xml.bz2p
And now that the result html has been generated, I open it from the contentlister.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wikipedia.png
Views:	557
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	4876  
Old 08-15-2007, 08:34 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Wow - that's impressive, Adam!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:11 AM   #12
BKeeper
Groupie
BKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle PW
I'd be willing to set up a host too, even if it was just for for the initial seeding of the file. Afterwards we could generate a torrent and I'm sure people would help seed the file.

And for text entry:
Isn't it possible to develop a hook to provide "selection search" as an option while reading another book?
Hardcore users could use a usb keyboard anyway...

That said, I'm not sure how many people would be willing to dedicate a 4GB card just for wikipedia.

Last edited by BKeeper; 08-15-2007 at 09:14 AM.
BKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:16 AM   #13
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

The problem is that right now, the only way to search is from the terminal... Perhaps I can get python running with that mini webserver posted in the original topic.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:53 PM   #14
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iRex iLiad
As always adam ports faster than other people can follow the forum discussions

I can host it on my company's server. Well, unless lots of people keeps downloading it, but I don't think so - it is not _that_ useful for common users. Besides, there are plenty of filesharing portals, most of them are free.

But a quick-and-dirty gui would be needed, I guess... otherwise it is too cumbersome to use :S
narve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:14 AM   #15
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
And now that the result html has been generated, I open it from the contentlister.
Adam, you never cease to amaze me!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote