Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-30-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
Beginner-reader
Enthusiast
Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Just got a Kindle 4 NT! Any recommendations?

Hello everybody,

I'm not an avid reader yet, but I want to become one. That's why I bought a Kindle 4 NT for Christmas. I finished my first book today (I started it yesterday, but it was only 30k words long.)
So far, I've been reading non-fiction "how-to" books. I used to read them on the computer, but my eyes don't like LCD screens very much.
Since most of the good books I have are either in pdf format or sitting in my physical bookshelf, I need to find new ones in mobi format.

Since I don't have a big vocabulary, I'd like to read something fairly easy. I tried "Cherub" and "Alex Rider" but I find both books pretty hard to understand. Then again, I can always look up some words on the Kindle.

I like detective/spy stories, but I'm ready to give any book a try... as long as it's not an autobiography.
Beginner-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Do you mind reading "older" or "classical" books? If not you might want to browse our own MobileRead Library here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=128

Detective/spy stories you find unter "Mystery and Crime".
These books are all free to download, so you can't make any mistake!
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner-reader View Post
Since I don't have a big vocabulary, I'd like to read something fairly easy. I tried "Cherub" and "Alex Rider" but I find both books pretty hard to understand. Then again, I can always look up some words on the Kindle.
How about Treasure Island? It's a really good adventure story.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37176
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:36 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
You think you might like Science Fiction?
Give Isaac Asimov's CAVES OF STEEL a try; its a Science Fiction Detective Mystery. (Kindle offers up free samples for most books. It might help you identify books you might enjoy.)

Other very accessible "starter" SF/Fantasy titles that come to mind:
Robert A. Heinlein's DOUBLE STAR
Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle's OATH OF FEALTY
Marion Zimmer Bradley's THE SPELL SWORD
Eric Flint's 1632
John Moore's HEROICS FOR BEGINNERS
Poul Anderson's THERE WILL BE TIME
David Weber's ON BASILISK STATION (Free at the Baen Free Library).
John Flint's VORPAL BLADE
H. Beam Piper's LITTLE FUZZY (Free at Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/18137)

Note that these are not necessarily wildly popular titles, though they are all very good and several are genre classics, but what distinguishes them is they are very smooth reads that can introduce new readers to the genre, its variations, and its conventions.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
Beginner-reader
Enthusiast
Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Thank you very much for the book suggestions!
So far, I've tried Agatha Christie's And then there were none, and Dan Brown's Angels & Demons.
I'll probably give Caves of steel a try if I don't like Angels & Demons. I remember reading an SF book a long time ago and loving it (despite it being a school assignment...).
Beginner-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
My daughter enjoyed the 'Guardian of Ga'Hoole' series - a fantasy involving owls. She's all into 'Warrior Cats' now, too, which is another fantasy series.
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #7
ReadAllDay
ReadAllDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadAllDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadAllDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadAllDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadAllDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadAllDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadAllDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadAllDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadAllDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadAllDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadAllDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Depends on what you want to read.. If you looking for some life changing empowering material I highly recommend that you read "How to overcome fear, and start living fearless" this book is great and really eye opening... it's written by a great author by the name of Rasheeal "Ra Blaze" Dixon
ReadAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:03 AM   #8
Elysium
Nameless Being

Every man and his dog, at some stage or other, will recommend The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy by Douglas Adams, to at least one person -- and here I'm recommending it to you. It's ... comedic science fiction, I think, and it's a very cheerful, easy read. Adams writes conversationally and tells the story rather than playing with his vocabulary. It's available for Kindle here. Don't forget that Amazon lets you download free samples to your Kindle before buying a book -- the free sample is often the entire first chapter. Happy reading!
Old 04-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #9
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
Every man and his dog, at some stage or other, will recommend The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy by Douglas Adams, to at least one person -- and here I'm recommending it to you. It's ... comedic science fiction, I think, and it's a very cheerful, easy read. Adams writes conversationally and tells the story rather than playing with his vocabulary. It's available for Kindle here. Don't forget that Amazon lets you download free samples to your Kindle before buying a book -- the free sample is often the entire first chapter. Happy reading!
Definitely agree! In addition a very funny read, you will understand the significance of 42.

Last edited by MickeyC; 04-06-2013 at 04:44 PM.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote