Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-09-2010, 11:25 AM   #1
cheddy
cheddy began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek
Free Borders ebooks through 7-14

Now through 7-14 borders is offering free ebooks from 5 popular authors including
Frankenstein, Dean Koontz
http://www.borders.com/online/store/...id=SA_20100709
One Shot, Lee Child
The Alchemyst
Julia Child's Kitchen Wisdom, Julia Child
Master Your Metabolism, Jillian Michaels

Happy Reading! Note as of 7/10 it appears that Borders.com has placed prices next to the books, however, when I put them in my cart the total is $0. You must have an account at Borders.com, and a US address. Format is Mobile and EPUB. Hope this clears up any confusion.

Last edited by cheddy; 07-10-2010 at 05:24 PM. Reason: correction
cheddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:53 PM   #2
jasonfedelem
Zealot
jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen2
Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but can Kobo books be read on a Kindle? IOW, how restrictive is the DRM?
jasonfedelem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:07 PM   #3
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
No, not on Kindle. You can either use the borders app or ADE (there are two download options, at least on all five of these books).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:19 PM   #4
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
I tried to get "One Shot" earlier and just now.. still not downloading.
I was able to get "The Alchemy" & "Frankenstein" with no problem
(after I figured out to add to my library, not purchase them.)
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:00 PM   #5
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Thank you for this post! I downloaded The Alchemyst.

I wonder if the authors get paid by the publisher for these downloads (I doubt it) or if the publisher writes them off as "promotional copies" (which I suspect is the case).
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:29 PM   #6
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Whenever I try to get any of these books I get the message "Due to technical difficulties we are unable to add this book to your library." I am unimpressed.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:27 AM   #7
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheddy View Post
Now through 7-14 borders is offering free ebooks from 5 popular authors including
Frankenstein, Dean Koontz
One Shot, Lee Child
The Alchemyst
Julia Child's Kitchen Wisdom, Julia Child
Master Your Metabolism, Jillian Michaels

Happy Reading!
Only in the US

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:19 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Only in the US

Regards, Alex
Given the fact that the Borders e-book store is indeed US only, this really should not come as a great surprise .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:37 AM   #9
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Only in the US
A VPN to a US city handily takes care of that detail.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:10 PM   #10
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
Whenever I try to get any of these books I get the message "Due to technical difficulties we are unable to add this book to your library." I am unimpressed.

-Marcy
Although not a great message, this means that it is in your library already. As I explained on my blog post, it doesn't always tell you when it succeeds (nor is there any link to then download presented). Try it again and you get this message.

Find your ebook library (under Your Account) and the books are there to download.

More annoying are the ones that don't work this way - you have to find them on the app itself (and some I still haven't found there, although I can see them on the nearly useless free books list), then download them only into the app. Those (like bull's Island Free, if I could find it) are only free in the app, not as full epubs.

Like you, I am less than impressed.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:26 PM   #11
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
The Alchemy, Frankenstein I successfully got in my library (on pc) and on Borders iphone app. Julia Child's Kitchen Wisdom, Master Your Metabolism added to my library but don't show up in library nor on the app. One Shot now shows up as $9.99.

I was able to get One Shot on the app yesterday but it was 1 page and gibberish so I deleted.
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:41 PM   #12
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I'm finding the Borders e-book store unreliable as well. I "bought" one of the freebies, which correctly ended up in my library. Then I "bought" another freebie, which a pop-up said I successfully purchased for $9.99, but then didn't end up in my library. And when I went to check my account, it said I'd never ordered anything at all, which I know is inaccurate.

At this point, I'm going to avoid Borders' e-book ordering. It's not worth the trouble when its competitors have their act together. I'll revisit when it's had a chance to fix things.

Stupid move, though, to introduce a system that's got so many problems. Might actually scare off customers. With credit card info and such, people are going to be cautious.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 07-10-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:52 PM   #13
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I can get to them, but none are coming up as free (yes, I'm in the US).
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:16 PM   #14
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Yep, confirmed. They've screwed up this free booklist as well, with all of them showing what appears to be full list prices ($26 for Jillian Michaels!!!). I've sent them an email, but suspect nothing will happen this weekend -- I'm still waiting on a return message that they have fixed the in-copyright freebies that are "available to download", but offer no method of getting them into your library.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:25 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I was able to get all of then for free. No idea why the prices were put back on.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote