Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-06-2009, 07:39 PM   #1
superplinio
superplinio began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
Is it possible to avoid the numbers between parenthesis in the folder name of a book?

I see that when adding a book to Calibre it puts the book into a folder whose name is the name of the book plus a number between brackets. It seem that this number is an auto-incremental key used by Calibre.

I know that the Calibre idea is to manage the books through the software, without going through the folder hierarchy. But sometimes I found navigating through the folders more straightforward and I found that "numbers between parenthesis" a bit annoying since it is a Calibre internal key that it is not related with the book name or author.

Is it possible to avoid this numbers in the folder name? Or is a Calibre "feature" that is needed for its functioning and we have to cope with it?

By the way... congratulations to the author for his amazing software.
superplinio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:40 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
It is a feature that you have to learn to live with I am afraid. It may change in the future, but not any time soon.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2009, 07:41 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
THis has got to be the number one FAQ. As a matter of fact, I would be surprised if it wasn't in the fact.

The bottom line is the numbers on the folders is just the way it works. It uses them to eliminate collisions with duplicate named books.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:02 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I ignore the folders of the calibre library because the numbers bother me. One thing I've noticed though, is that if you save part or all of the library to disk, that copy won't have the numbers. I use this option when I have to export my whole library.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:42 PM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
When saving books to disk (in effect exporting them from Calibre), you can provide the mask specifying what the structure of the filenames that should be used.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2009, 09:52 PM   #6
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
When saving books to disk (in effect exporting them from Calibre), you can provide the mask specifying what the structure of the filenames that should be used.
In fact, I am having to do this, and then copy the files to my reader, because of the lack of control when sending books direct. If I don't, the spaces in the names it uses, stop bookmarks being saved. Damned inconvenient.

Seems to me the code to do this could be very easily copied to the section that send books to the reader. Would any developers like to do it?
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book name, folder name, parenthesis