Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-11-2010, 06:31 AM   #16
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Skin. It's through your skin.
He probably meant melatonin

Back on topic, I only have a black reader (Cybook) and live in Portugal, lot's of sun here. Light reflexion was never an issue, although I can imagine that a white encasing could be. But since my M-Edge case is black and it covers everything except the screen and buttons, that wouldn't be a problem.

My advice would be to buy a good cover for his Kindle 2.

On a side note, I wonder if a white case would make the screen look more grey-ish...
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:44 AM   #17
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
The main reason I like black readers is because they don't look as grubby after I've being pawing them for a few days.
And that's reason nr 2
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2010, 06:46 AM   #18
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
Aha! Yes, that sounds more likely. I'm just about to go for a long walk in the bright sunshine for that reason. Lovely sunny and dry weather even if it's -3 C

Quote:
On a side note, I wonder if a white case would make the screen look more grey-ish...
I think the white casing of my Kindle does enhance the grey-ish look because of the contrast. It's not something tha bothers me though.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:57 AM   #19
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have you tried a black reader, to see if it really does make a different for you, as a matter of interest? Please don't think that I was "just being contrary" - this is an interesting topic; different people do have very different perceptions of these things. There was another thread recently in which someone was arguing against black devices because they felt that it lowered the screen contrast (which I also don't find to be true, myself).
Thanks Harry, I maybe assumed you understood the info I, well, left out...hehehehe...anyway yes, my Clie is a very, very darn blue that is essentially back and I use it outside in the sun all the time. It's a big difference in the ability to see the screen.

I remember the thread debating the black vs. white case/frame. Under normal lighting, I see no difference at all. But as we know everyone is different so if a person believes it's different then, well, for them is, is what it is...

And hands down eink is the best sunlight readable panel we have access to today and that includes the PixelQi panels. To be honest I was caught off guard reading outside today, well yesterday. I enjoyed the sun but had to switch back the Clie because I really was getting a lot of eye strain while trying to ignore the "optic white" coming off the case. I shudder to think hat a high gloss white or black would be like outdoors in strong sunlight. YIKES!!

Glad ya thought it was interesting and really glad we are on the same page as to the topic, thanks for that.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:05 AM   #20
jbloudg20
Connoisseur
jbloudg20 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-900 & K2i
What color are your eyes? Granted, I have no experience with other colors, but my blue eyes are extremely sensitive to light. I cannot go outside without sunglasses on, or I have to squint and get headaches.

LCD screens' lighting also gives me a headache. That is why I love my eReader so much!
jbloudg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2010, 09:10 AM   #21
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Quote:
Skin. It's through your skin.

Back to topic, yes, if you sit outside in tropical latitudes, I can definitely understand you want a dark reader. But.... that brings another potential problem: overheating of the device. At least in direct sunlight. I guess it would be all right if you read in the shade.

Added: I don't know how you can stand the heat of the sun. Sunlight is wonderful but temperatures over 25 C is just too much.
Actually, to be honest you are not exactly correct here. Think back to your biochem courses as well as neuro phys courses...you will have learned that the eyes are typically the primary source of creating vitamin D because we are almost always covered in clothes blocking the skins ability to also convert sunlight into vitamin-D. Do a bit of research if need be.

Now about your fear of overheating...you have got to be kidding? I supposed in 100F weather sure but that is out of the safe range and even an 8F day would be fine given the tolerances of a hardware being well over what is listed. And I believe the K1 is from 32F to 93F so a 75F day as we had today represents no threat to melt a reader no matter how black. Remember the device is actually powered down most of the time and only powers up when changing something on the screen. There is some power to the buttons and other input components to allow response to events, but the CPU is powered way down and is generating very little heat same for the graphic subsystem.

it might be different on the el Cheapo brand-x devices but I have faith the major brands are just fine. Remember this, the designs of these devices take into account outdoor reading and an eink device is not exactly great in the shade.

If you cannot tell, I am not in the Chicken Little school of thought and have not been wrong for over 30-yrs of owning computers and portables since about 1983...never had one fail the "smoke test".

Old 01-11-2010, 09:17 AM   #22
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbloudg20 View Post
What color are your eyes? Granted, I have no experience with other colors, but my blue eyes are extremely sensitive to light. I cannot go outside without sunglasses on, or I have to squint and get headaches.

LCD screens' lighting also gives me a headache. That is why I love my eReader so much!
Here is my eye:

I wonder of eye color really has more than a partial contribution to light sensitivity. I bet it's more how our brain processes the light and how dilated the pupils are compared top other folks. Normally I never have problems in the sun, heck I grew up by the ocean and lived in the San Joaquin Valley where when I had no clients that day I would walk 2-3 rounds of golf in the summer. This was simply a case of the way the light was being reflected and the sun. So, black it will be for me...as long as it is not a high gloss black...yikes!!

Last edited by brecklundin; 01-11-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:29 AM   #23
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:

Back on topic, I only have a black reader (Cybook) and live in Portugal, lot's of sun here. Light reflexion was never an issue, although I can imagine that a white encasing could be. But since my M-Edge case is black and it covers everything except the screen and buttons, that wouldn't be a problem.

ummm...no, I mean what I write because I know what I write which is why I write it. Your eyes are usually the largest producer of vitamin-D in your body. If you are aware of SAD for folks way up north or who cannot get outside or even draw back a window shade, the treatment fro SAD, both prophylactic and after the fact, is a simply visor with a a couple full spectrum lights shining into your eyes for a couple hours a day give or take in order to synthesize of vitamin-D. Alternatively they can use just a regular lamp with a full spectrum bulb at around, as I recall, 6000K - 6600K color temperature.

But your assumption was not even close to correct...so THERE.......hehehehe....
Old 01-11-2010, 09:41 AM   #24
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:

A cover could be a reasonable option but because I have some rather significant hand issues a cover may or may not be useful Though I will say I like the silicone based skin for my DSLR's. They are made by Camera Armor and feel really nice. But I am not the one using the K2...I am getting the PB360, the reason I bought the K2 was for the better half so she would release her death grip on the K1 which I originally bought for ME...hehehehe....at least I got a deal on the K2 for $159 thanks to a $100 coupon from Audible when creating a new 12-month account, which we each do every year anyway, so this was a nice way to grab a new reader for her so I could sell off the K1 which I already knew I had probs with in handling.

Plus I think the PB360 is just too cool with it's integrated covers...

BTW, I love the responses to what I expected was going to be a dull topic...thanks everyone!!
Old 01-11-2010, 10:42 AM   #25
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
wife? gawds stop swearing at me!!!??? Better half sure...wife...freaking NEVER. And she agrees!

You can kinda see the green here (not my best shot ever but good enough for listing on eBay...):
My apologies to your better half. That's the shade of green I have! Jade Green!!!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:01 AM   #26
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Actually, to be honest you are not exactly correct here. Think back to your biochem courses as well as neuro phys courses...you will have learned ....
Actually not. Despite a good deal of further education. I've had 'biology' at a level that I would assume is about second to last year of senior high school in USA (it's the first year of 'Gymnasium' here). I don't know whether that covers 'biochem' or 'neuro phys'. Furthermore, I would not say this was common knowledge. I have never before seen the eyes mentioned specifically in relation to vitamin D production in the body, only the skin.

Quote:
Now about your fear of overheating...you have got to be kidding? ...
I was thinking about a black case heated up by direct sunshine. I think I did imply that that was what I meant.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:42 PM   #27
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Furthermore, I would not say this was common knowledge. I have never before seen the eyes mentioned specifically in relation to vitamin D production in the body, only the skin.
I don't know about production by eyes either.
For what it's worth, the Wikipedia article on Vitamin D doesn't mention it, as far as I can see.
Is there somewhere else that describes it?
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:39 PM   #28
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
harry,

My comment is from my personal experience in bright direct sun. The white frame reflects waaay too much light for me. I was not saying it affect the panel and it's apparent contrast...we already know about that myth.

And, hey, you're in the UK where sun is a punishment, right? hehehehe...just teasing ya there...but we here in SoCal do get much brighter sun than at your latitude so our sun is much more intense.

Anyway it was just an observation from my use. That can't be incorrect, right?
My wife owns a K2 and I own a PRS-505 (blue) and I can attest to what you're saying. I had to switch back and forth once during a vacation (reading out by the pool) and I definitely felt more eye strain with the K2 when out in the sun. In fact, I even got a headache and had to wait until we got back to the hotel to finish up my chapter on my 505. Of course, that may have been from the pina colavas.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:54 PM   #29
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
ummm...no, I mean what I write because I know what I write which is why I write it. Your eyes are usually the largest producer of vitamin-D in your body. If you are aware of SAD for folks way up north or who cannot get outside or even draw back a window shade, the treatment fro SAD, both prophylactic and after the fact, is a simply visor with a a couple full spectrum lights shining into your eyes for a couple hours a day give or take in order to synthesize of vitamin-D. Alternatively they can use just a regular lamp with a full spectrum bulb at around, as I recall, 6000K - 6600K color temperature.

But your assumption was not even close to correct...so THERE.......hehehehe....
Sorry, but... Nope. :P

98% of sunlight enters through the eyes, and 2% through the skin. The 2% on the skin is important because that is the only way your body can develop vitamin D which is essential for calcium production to make strong bones and strong teeth (and even for eye health).

What you're talking about is melatonin, that is important for your circadian rythm among other things. Lack of this will causa insomnia, depression (it's behind the well known seasonal depression), etc. And that's what the treatment you described is for. Otherwise, there's vitamin D supplements, no need for such treatment.

You just mixed both things in that statement in your other post.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:19 AM   #30
Sam I Am
Sam I Am began at the beginning.

Device: Leaning toward Onyx Boox 60
I'm interested in more opinions on the black leather case being heated in direct sunlight while on a sun holiday. Over the course of four hours or more by the pool.
Will the device overheat?
Will it be too hot to hold?
Thoughts?
I haven't decided what colour to order yet.
Sam I Am is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle color