Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-09-2011, 12:33 PM   #1
aerenviel
aerenviel began at the beginning.

Device: none
Calibre and dict.org

hello, can i change the online searching of word on dict.org with another url or use with caliber some dictionary as those used in microsoft reader? I'm italian and i need an english to italian translation...

Thanks
aerenviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:50 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Not without editing the source code.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2011, 02:45 PM   #3
aerenviel
aerenviel began at the beginning.

argh...so caliber don't have any function for translate the word directly with some dictionary? :-(
aerenviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

no, it doesn't.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:46 PM   #5
elpraga
elpraga began at the beginning.

Spanish-Spanish dictionary

Hello,
I would be very interested in another dictionary as well. I try to read books in Spanish and a quick lookup would be very handy really.

If I understand it well, the change should not be done in ebook-viewer file directly. T
I tried to look around and the best candidate to edit was /usr/lib/calibre/calibre/utils/dictclient.py, but there is no reference to dict.org. Is this the file that needs to be edited or is it a different one?

Is it difficult to do it if I do not know python? Could You give me some hints which file should I edit and how to do it it?

It would help me a lot..

Thanks for reply.

Elpraga
elpraga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2011, 08:48 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The files you need are viewer/dictionary.py and dictclient.py
Old 03-09-2011, 12:37 AM   #7
elpraga

Thanks! I have it!
It was not easy at all to find any spanish dictionary that uses DICT protocol You are using, and changing the code to something else without knowing python would be crazy as well. Finally the easiest way was to find the dictionary http://sercari.esdebian.org/33720/di...stellano-libre and install dictd locally.

After that the only thing I had to do was to change dict.org to localhost in file
/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/viewer/dictionary.py
The only thing that does not work is Control+L shortcut..
Thanks for the hints!
Old 03-09-2011, 12:54 AM   #8
elpraga

..and by the way.. thanks for the vim-like nav keys :-)
Old 03-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpraga View Post
..and by the way.. thanks for the vim-like nav keys :-)
I use vim and pentadactyl myself, so having vim like shortcuts was a no-brainer
Old 03-18-2011, 09:14 AM   #10
elpraga

Dictionary support in Calibre via goldendict

Another hint (that works even better then built-in solution because allows to add multiple sources from the internet) is to install goldendict.

In my opinion it is a perfect solution to someone reading books in a different language.

In my case, I combine es-es dictd dictionary, es-cz online dictionary, wictionary and wikipedia. All results show up in a pop-up windows that disappears when I move the mouse from it. Very convenient, indeed.

Hope it helps someone!