Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-04-2013, 11:04 PM   #31
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
Ken,

What's the return process for a defective unit? The thought of having to have any more interaction with Kobo CS is fairly repugnant at this point!
I haven't received an answer to my email, and I don't expect one until late
Monday or Tuesday. I asked them about repair service outside of any
warranty, as I broke it myself, although I don't know how I actually did
cause the loss of the touchscreen. There might be different procedures,
under the warranty.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:49 PM   #32
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
I haven't received an answer to my email, and I don't expect one until late
Monday or Tuesday. I asked them about repair service outside of any
warranty, as I broke it myself, although I don't know how I actually did
cause the loss of the touchscreen. There might be different procedures,
under the warranty.

Luck;
Ken
Let us hope you can get it repaired without paying too much. It was rather daring to do that to a brand new device.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #33
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I was just on with Kobo CS about returning my Aura (glo screen flickering, two-page turns, and wifi issues) and I was disappointed to hear that they only take returns for exchanges, not refunds!

I figured it might go smoother to return for a refund, then just buy another device, but I guess that isn't possible. I'm worried that they won't see the stuff I'm seeing, because it is totally intermittent, but I hope they will exchange it anyway.

Anyway, I can hardly believe they don't allow a return for a refund. That's just about unheard of in online commerce!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #34
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
"Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
[Aura HD] Broken Screen

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email(Yolanda T) - 05/06/2013 02:14 PM
Hello Ken,

Thank you for contacting Kobo Customer Care. We apologize for the extreme delayed response. This is due to a high volume of emails. We have not been able to respond in the normal timeframe. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

We are sorry to let you know that our help is limited regarding repairing your device, however, we recommend you to take it to a local store to see what they can do for you.

We were glad to assist you today. If you need additional assistance feel free to contact us via email, chat or phone call.

Regards,
The Kobo Email Team

Survey Invitation
We at Kobo value your opinion and ask you to complete a quick survey specific to our handling of this ticket. Just use this link to start the survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KoboCustomerCare

Did you know?
Answers to our most common questions can be found at: http://kobo.intelliresponse.com

Auto-Response - 05/04/2013 06:30 PM
Thank you for contacting Kobo Customer Care. Your question has been received and you can anticipate a response within 24-48 hours.

Customer By Email (Ken Maltby) - 05/04/2013 06:30 PM
I broke the touchscreen, upgrading the internal MicroSD card. So I am
NOT asking for repairs under the warranty. I would like to see if I
can get it repaired, and what it might cost.

Luck;
Ken

Question Reference #130504-000829
Product Level 1: Kobo eReader
Product Level 2: Aura HD
Category Level 1: eInk Device
Category Level 2: Broken Screen (Physical Damage)
Date Created: 05/04/2013 06:30 PM
Last Updated: 05/06/2013 02:14 PM
Place Of Purchase:
Geo Interaction:
Incident Language: English
Phone Number:
"

Or boiled down a bit - "We are sorry to let you know that our help is limited regarding repairing your device, however, we recommend you to take it to a local store to see what they can do for you."

(By "limited", they mean nonexistent)

The distilled version: We don't repair anything, we just sell them.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 05-06-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:29 PM   #35
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
This doesn't really surprise me, sadly. With the way things go with modern electronics, it's cheaper to replace something then repair it.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2013, 10:24 PM   #36
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
I was just on with Kobo CS about returning my Aura (glo screen flickering, two-page turns, and wifi issues) and I was disappointed to hear that they only take returns for exchanges, not refunds!

I figured it might go smoother to return for a refund, then just buy another device, but I guess that isn't possible. I'm worried that they won't see the stuff I'm seeing, because it is totally intermittent, but I hope they will exchange it anyway.

Anyway, I can hardly believe they don't allow a return for a refund. That's just about unheard of in online commerce!
What does consumer law say where you live? In Australia, a "major problem with a product" means that the consumer is entitled to their choice of refund, replacement, or repair (though I doubt companies would get in much trouble offering replacement over repair). I don't know whether your issues would constitute a major enough problem to qualify for refund over replacement, though, especially since you plan to purchase another one anyhow.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:51 PM   #37
Nil Einne
Connoisseur
Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
What does consumer law say where you live? In Australia, a "major problem with a product" means that the consumer is entitled to their choice of refund, replacement, or repair (though I doubt companies would get in much trouble offering replacement over repair). I don't know whether your issues would constitute a major enough problem to qualify for refund over replacement, though, especially since you plan to purchase another one anyhow.
The section you're quoting doesn't seem to apply to Ken Maltby as by his? own admission the problem is not due to a defect in the product but by damage caused by his own doing. The section seems to be solely referring to problems which are caused by a defective product or a product which doesn't meet reasonable expectations or advertising in some way. If you look carefully at the section, it says "A business may refuse to give you a free repair, replacement or refund if: you misused the product or service in any way that contributed to the problem". In addition, if you look at the general statement it says "Consumer guarantees do not apply if you: misused a product in any way that caused the problem". http://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/con...mer-guarantees

However despite the confusing way the whole thing is worded, I believe this section "repairs and spare parts - the manufacturer is responsible for ensuring that spare parts and repair facilities (a place that can fix the consumer’s goods) are available for a reasonable time after purchase unless you were told otherwise. How long is ‘reasonable’ will depend on the type of product" does apply to the OP since although his problem is caused by misuse, this doesn't change the requirement that the manufacturer have repair facilities available for a reasonable time after purchase, unless the OP was told otherwise. We have had something similar in NZ law for a while now http://www.consumeraffairs.govt.nz/f...guarantees-act

Last edited by Nil Einne; 05-06-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Nil Einne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:57 PM   #38
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil Einne View Post
The section you're quoting doesn't seem to apply to Ken Maltby
Yeah, I was quoting graycyn.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:02 PM   #39
Nil Einne
Connoisseur
Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Yeah, I was quoting graycyn.
Yeah I see that now, sorry should have read your post more carefully.
Nil Einne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:43 PM   #40
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nihilism View Post
Yeah, mine was a single bright spot too. I've never had an issue with any device before so I just presumed it was "dead pixel". It was only noticeable when the light was on.
China Fortune Cookie say. "No worry dead pixel as long as you can see". .

Last edited by MrDoug; 05-06-2013 at 11:48 PM.
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #41
domani7
Enthusiast
domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: nook
I'm returning mine. I can't imagine not being able to do it. If they give me any trouble I'll dispute the credit card charge. I want to save my money for an ereader that gives me everything I want.
domani7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:28 AM   #42
domani7
Enthusiast
domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

So Monday evening I asked for an exchange because I was really rash (I had only received it that Monday) but when I slept on it I asked for a return for a full refund in the morning. Because: 1. it's defective and 2. I don't like it, even without the defects it's not enough of an upgrade to justify the cost and I want to save my money for something that I will love.

So- Tuesday morning I asked for a return. I have no heard from them since then. Really, all I need are instructions on where to mail it to and a refund obviously. I'm wondering how long I should wait before disputing the charge with my credit card. I'll definitely do it by Monday if I haven't heard from them by then but I'm wondering if I should do it sooner.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #43
domani7
Enthusiast

Update:

So as soon as I mentioned a credit card dispute that got their attention and they replied. Per their request, I filled out their detailed questionnaire, and took photos of the Aura. For some reason they also needed my receipt- don't they have this information? Whatever, I'm pretty sure Kobo's just trying to make it difficult in hopes that most people will give up.

There's a photo that shows the pinprick of light on the screen and there's a photo of the aura next to the nook and kindle which shows that the Aura's screen is a downgrade. I had my sister help me with the pictures because I wanted it to be fair and not look like I'm setting up the Aura to look bad.

Anyway- I send all the documentation to Kobo that they wanted and I'm told I'll hear back in 24-48 hours. Suffice it to say, I did not hear back in 24-48 hours. So I gave them 4 business days then I contacted the credit card company about this whole mess. What's the point of threatening to go the credit card route unless you're willing to do it? I feel better now because I can relax since I know the credit card company will go after Kobo.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #44
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nihilism View Post
It took me three days to notice the one dead pixel at the bottom right of my Aura. It was only noticeable when the light was on, and barely so. But of course once the eye catches it, it's hard to ignore.

Anyhow, just returned it to !indigo (very friendly, no hassles) and of course they were all out of the Espresso color, so I opted for the black, which is just fine.

Just curious how many will run across physical issues with their Aura that calls for a return.
It's good to hear you were able to return your Aura at the Indigo store so easily.

I am going to try and exchange mine at Indigo - my device has a tiny "dead light pixel" in the lower middle of the screen.

Last edited by RZetlin; 05-16-2013 at 12:56 PM.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #45
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
I think I will have to exchange my just bought Aura. The light is not even at all: it's clear almost bluish at the bottom of the screen and there is a big yellow patch on the top of the screen

Actually I don't know if my expectations are too high or if this specific Aura has a sub-par screen.

Edit: trying to add a picture, but I don't know how to put a miniature
The picture quality isn't that great, maybe it's hard to see the differences. People around me notice the shadow at the top too, but they have never seen a frontlit ereader before.

Last edited by samhy; 11-26-2013 at 05:41 AM. Reason: irrelevant picture removed
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote