Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #1
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
two Kobos, two accounts - same books?

My husband's Pocketbook 360 is dying (an epidemic in our household it seems), so he is seriously considering a Mini. I already have a bunch of books bought via Kobo, so the easiest would be for him to attach his kobo to my account, but then annotations, reading statistics etc would be merged, which we would not want.

The only way I can think of making "my" books available on his device (ignore DRM issues, that's ok, we could use the same Adobe ID) is to send the EPUB versions of my books to his device via Calibre (possibly with Joel's plugin to get kepubs - he did not even notice the title bar at the top, but loves the pop-up footnotes ). Is this the only way, or is there a better way?

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-12-2013 at 10:26 AM. Reason: spelling mistake in title
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I think you're on the right track with what you're thinking. That's the only option I recall seeing used.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Title of thread corrected.

'to' to 'two.'

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #4
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Dr. Drib, thanks for correcting the typo, and robko thanks a lot for your comment - as far as I am aware Reading life should work on sideloaded kepub.epub, so at least we can keep track of reading statistics that way.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
as far as I am aware Reading life should work on sideloaded kepub.epub, so at least we can keep track of reading statistics that way.
From what I have been told, there is a privacy issue with sending information about side-loaded books (which very well may have come from providers other than Kobo ) to the Kobo servers.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:10 PM   #6
Nightyume
Addict
Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Device: HTC One, Galaxy Note 10.1, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
My husband's Pocketbook 360 is dying (an epidemic in our household it seems), so he is seriously considering a Mini. I already have a bunch of books bought via Kobo, so the easiest would be for him to attach his kobo to my account, but then annotations, reading statistics etc would be merged, which we would not want.

The only way I can think of making "my" books available on his device (ignore DRM issues, that's ok, we could use the same Adobe ID) is to send the EPUB versions of my books to his device via Calibre (possibly with Joel's plugin to get kepubs - he did not even notice the title bar at the top, but loves the pop-up footnotes ). Is this the only way, or is there a better way?
I have the kobo app on my phone and tablet as well as having the Glo. When I was using both the tablet and the Glo to look at the same book at the same time (it was for finals so being able to look at different parts of the book simultaneously was greaet) it asked me if I wanted to sync as there had been changes on the other device and I said no and they stayed unsynced (I don't know if that prevents annotations being synced though I'm guessing reading stats would be).
Nightyume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #7
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
From what I have been told, there is a privacy issue with sending information about side-loaded books (which very well may have come from providers other than Kobo ) to the Kobo servers.
ah, thanks, good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightyume View Post
I have the kobo app on my phone and tablet as well as having the Glo. When I was using both the tablet and the Glo to look at the same book at the same time (it was for finals so being able to look at different parts of the book simultaneously was greaet) it asked me if I wanted to sync as there had been changes on the other device and I said no and they stayed unsynced (I don't know if that prevents annotations being synced though I'm guessing reading stats would be).
Thanks, again good to know. The thing is, I'd like my annotations to be synced, and I guess he will like his - which is why we'd rather have two separate accounts.