Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-29-2008, 10:09 AM   #1
lizj
lizj began at the beginning.

Device: none
another clueless newcomer

I confess I haven´t done a lot of research but what I have done has made me more confused than less. I had vaguely thought I would buy a kindle at some stage but now realise that outside the US that is not readily doable.

I think my wants and needs are relatively small, from what I have read on this forum. I really just want to be able to read books. I spend a lot of time on planes and work in places like south asia so it is reading for pleasure and the potential joy of not having to lug books around.

Size is not too important - so long as it fits in a large handbag or hand luggage, weight is important and I guess the two go together. I must be able to adjust the font size when my eyes are tired.

Probably the most important things to me would be ease of use - both in terms of downloading the books and in using the e-book as I am an almost total luddite. I find ipods confusing - if that gives you a clue!

My home is in Spain but I am not necessarily looking for local support as most of my use would be away from there. Cost is not especially important - of the device or the books but obviously a consideration. In terms of the books I read.....my areas of interest are primarily crime fiction and contemporary fiction - very much UK writers preferred. And I need the latest releases.

Hoping the experts on this forum can point me in the right direction.
lizj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:46 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd suggest getting a CyBook Gen3 or a BeBook. That gives you access to the huge range of MobiPocket titles from many bookstores. I share your taste for crime fiction, and buy lots of MobiPocket books from sites like FictionWise for the CyBook Gen3.

If you have friends in the UK, you can get the CyBook for the excellent price of £180 from W.H.Smiths.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2008, 10:49 AM   #3
digitalzen
Connoisseur
digitalzen doesn't litterdigitalzen doesn't litterdigitalzen doesn't litter

Device: none
Hey, welcome to the club. Good news is there are a lot of cool people here...with a lot of knowledge! I'm still trying to get my head around all the products on the market myself.
digitalzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:51 AM   #4
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Or if you want a BeBook from mybebook.com you can always use the mailaddress of one of us BeBook owners here on MobileRead to get a 25 euro discount.

If however you want to buy one in Spain, if I remeber correctly there is hte Papyre that is being marketed and sold by a spanish company, and the Papyre is the same device as the BeBook, a rebranded Hanlin V3.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:13 PM   #5
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Apollo XXI is a Spanish shop and sells most of the eReaders around: http://www.apoloxxi.com

Good shopping,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert