Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-06-2012, 11:38 PM   #1
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
How do you maintain and backup your ebook library?

I'm curious .... how do you maintain your elibrary and back it up / copy it?

After downloading my ebooks I then add them to Calibre, and change the format to EPUB where necessary. I gather metadata if needed, and add tags etc.

Every now and again I highlight all books in the library and choose the Save to Disk option - and copy all the books onto a 16GB usb stick.

That way, not only have I got a copy of all my ebooks (and metadata), I can download to any other computer should I lose the hard drive on the lap top they currently sit on (which has happened to me before).

But how does everyone else do it?
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:52 PM   #2
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
First I disinfect my ebooks.
My next step is to add them to Calibre, where I make sure that the tags all fit into my ridiculously exacting standards of how I sort my books. I also check the web to make sure I have the best cover. Then I'll usually do a epub to epub convert to get my spacing and justification the way I like it.
After that, I'll usually do a complete backup of my library onto my work computer, my flash drive and on an external hard drive every month or so depending on how many books I've bought that month. I'll usually do a DVD write with my library every couple of months as well.
I also have an "emergency" stash on an SD card that goes with my reader just in case I need to do a hard reset on vacation (again) and don't have access to a computer.
Sounds like a lot, but doesn't take long to do.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2012, 12:07 AM   #3
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Add them to Calibre which cleans them in the process, download metadata, tags, and covers as necessary. Then I use RoboCopy to copy my Calibre library to Dropbox, to another hard drive on my computer, to a USB stick, and to the other computer in the house.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:12 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I have my Calibre library in my Dropbox so it backs up there automatically which maintains an off site backup (and so I can access it from Calibre on my work computer too which means another backup is at work). I also keep a copy of everything on a USB stick and occasionally also backup also to a removable hard drive.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:43 AM   #5
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
I just keep all my books open in my bittorrent software.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2012, 01:56 AM   #6
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Books are added to the Calibre library, which is stored on two internal hard drives (laptop and desktop), one external hard drive and a USB stick and is backed up semi-regularly (i.e. when I remember). More than safe enough I think.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:01 AM   #7
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
All my books get added to Calibre, which has DRM removal plugins installed. My Calibre library gets copied to my server with rsync every day (I wrote a PHP script to let me access my library via a web browser), and it's in Dropbox.

About once a week, I use rdiff-backup to backup my home directory (including my e-books) to an external hard drive. Occasionally, I put an encrypted copy of my backup onto my work computer or my mum's computer.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:25 AM   #8
Edward M. Grant
Zealot
Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Asus Transformer
I download them all to Kindle for PC on my laptop, and then rsync them to the RAID drive on my server. However, that doesn't help with the DRM-ed books when Kindle for PC barfs and refuses to start up so I have to reinstall it.
Edward M. Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:42 AM   #9
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
If they're redownloadable I don't bother. If not I have a copy on my netbook in Calibre and a copy, usually of the original download, in Dropbox.
DrNefario is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:47 AM   #10
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
I have made my own application it un-dr the books, copy the file where I said.

I have most of my books on my own cloud folder. And all of them on my reader.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:27 AM   #11
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wow - thank you everyone, you've given me some ideas re not just storage but other ways to use Drop Box etc.

Thanks again!!!
Old 06-07-2012, 04:39 AM   #12
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
I just keep all my books open in my bittorrent software.
Giggleton are you not worried that you may lose access in some way to bittorrent?

I suppose I'm asking is bittorrent stable, secure and considered 'legal' for lack of a better way of expressing it?

(Yeah, I'm pretty uninformed re bittorrent)
Old 06-07-2012, 05:18 AM   #13
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
I have all the books in calibre except for ones from amazon. I am yet to work out how to add those to calibre. Once I do that I will open a dropbox account and upload there. For now I have them backed up on a 8gig usb stick. Tho that is messy as I have copies for my kindle my husbands android and my daughters kobo. I am reluctant to wipe any version incase one messes up when converting.

I will work this out but for the moment game of thrones calls and I want to start the second book

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:25 AM   #14
kleinste
Nameless Being

I keep my whole library on the Kindle itself. Other copies exist (in .mobi and .epub) of all of my books on Calibre, my external hard drive, and DropBox.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:53 AM   #15
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
I have all the books in calibre except for ones from amazon. I am yet to work out how to add those to calibre.
Just import them off your Kindle into Calibre. That will work even if you don't remove DRM; Calibre will handle them just fine, as long as you don't want to convert them (I think it will even update metadata in the file, but I'm not sure about that).

If you want to remove DRM also, get acquainted with Apprentice Alf
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote