Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Struggling with changed split-view

I've been trying to use Sigil to clean up badly-formatted epubs, and also learn how it works because i really don't know much.

One thing I found really useful was the split-view, and especially being able to click on the text in the upper window and see in the lower window what coding had been applied to that paragraph or phrase.

But I updated my copy to 0.6.0, and now that ability is gone. I can see the hierarchical display in the lower window, and see how the amazing amount of info there would be useful to people who know better than I what they're doing, but the upper and lower windows don't seem to be actively linked at all, which seems a shortcoming.

What I would like to do is see a real-time connection between the formatted text and the visible coding, to be able to edit the CSS and see the effect, and learn to clean up the code by doing. Sigil doesn't seem to make that very easy any more. Or ... what am I missing?

Last edited by MacEachaidh; 03-11-2013 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Edited to amend unclear wording
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #2
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
I think you are looking for View, Preview.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
No, that's what I'm saying is no longer working as it did before.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
IIRC It was changed to what you see because the old way was fragile/unreliable. Sometimes it worked for me, mostly it did not .

I just switch from BV to CV

Joining paragraphs (using the delete key) in BV introduces a visually ugly <span style= .... >.
I now have a saved search to remove this unwanted modification to the trailing text.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
And I'll suggest that you upgrade to version 0.7.1 if your platform supports it. Lots of issues regarding sync of views, and I don't know what all else, have been solved since 0.6.0.

And besides, the documentation has been updated to apply to the 0.7x series.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
As st_albert says, upgrade to 0.7.1 - all comments here apply to 0.7.1.

The new approach to split view is now a separate Preview window. The Preview window can be resized/undocked/moved, etc. Preview will show what your book looks like while you type in Book View and Code View or in a CSS file. It's most useful of course if you switch to Code View - then you can see what happens as you edit your code. There is no way to edit the Preview window to see what code appears - you can only edit in Book View then switch to Code View to see what code was used by Book View.

In addition, the Preview window is split into an upper and lower half. If you right click on the upper half and select Inspect Element then the lower half will sync to where you are. The lower half Inspector area is meant for deep investigation into styles, etc. if its really needed - otherwise you can drag the separator bar to make it very small to leave more room for the top preview.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote