Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #16
sparrowlight
Zealot
sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Touch as backup
I went to this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180789 as I am definitely a n00b when it comes to de-bricking, but the download link won't work. Not sure how I can get this infernal device up and running again.
sparrowlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:20 PM   #17
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowlight View Post
I went to this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180789 as I am definitely a n00b when it comes to de-bricking, but the download link won't work. Not sure how I can get this infernal device up and running again.
The gitbrew site is still down. Use the "debricking repair" links in the pastebin, which you can get at the "simple debricking method" sticky thread in the dev corner, here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170929

The noobs guide is just a simplified version of the thread I linked, and does not provide all the mirror links.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #18
sparrowlight
Zealot
sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.

Thanks, geekmaster. I'll admit to being fairly intimidated by this but I will give it a go.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #19
sparrowlight
Zealot

Seems like all the debricking methods require access to the Kindle file system on a computer -- what if you can't even get the device to show up on a computer at all? Are there any methods for recovery?
Old 10-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #20
sparrowlight
Zealot

I'm also on a Mac and most of the threads I'm seeing are using Windows.
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #21
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I suspect you'll get it started again. Are you plugging it into a wall outlet? That would be preferable. Once you get it restarted, do the Factory Reset again, and just add one book. Let it get through its indexing processes, then read that one book. If the Kindle behaves itself, you've got a corrupt file that you've been loading. If it acts up again, you've got a different problem.

I can help you with Mac specific questions. It's just a matter of getting the Kindle to respond again first.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #22
sparrowlight
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I suspect you'll get it started again. Are you plugging it into a wall outlet? That would be preferable. Once you get it restarted, do the Factory Reset again, and just add one book. Let it get through its indexing processes, then read that one book. If the Kindle behaves itself, you've got a corrupt file that you've been loading. If it acts up again, you've got a different problem.

I can help you with Mac specific questions. It's just a matter of getting the Kindle to respond again first.
I appreciate your offer to help ... I'm at work and plugged into my computer, but I'll try the wall charging and re-starting again. It's just not looking too likely that it WILL restart fully again. It keeps flashing, then going back to the tree screen (which I now loathe with a passion).
Old 10-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #23
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I appreciate your offer to help ... I'm at work and plugged into my computer, but I'll try the wall charging and re-starting again. It's just not looking too likely that it WILL restart fully again. It keeps flashing, then going back to the tree screen (which I now loathe with a passion).
Plugged into the computer does necessarily charge it. Especially if it is trying to go into USB Drive mode. If it shows up as a USB drive in your host computer, you need to eject it to charge it, but it may be too discharged to detect that you ejected it.

It is software in the kindle computer that controls battery charging, and that does not necessarily work right if your kindle is too discharged to start that software and get the charging controller chip into the correct mode. And do not trust the charging LED either -- it is software-controlled.

It really helps to use a wall charger, even if just a low-power one from a cell phone.

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-10-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #24
sparrowlight
Zealot

I did not know all that -- thanks! In a wall charger now.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #25
geekmaster

Quote:
I did not know all that -- thanks! In a wall charger now.
It may take 20 hours to charge even with a wall charger, if it is stuck on the "slow charge curve" default. So charge it for a day before trying it again...

We have been through this discussion many times in the Dev Corner debricking threads, so there is plenty of history behind it.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:22 PM   #26
sparrowlight
Zealot

I understand and I value your wisdom. I am keen on just getting this one fixed and not doing a replacement again.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:26 PM   #27
sparrowlight
Zealot

Currently plugged in ... Keeps rebooting of its own accord about every two minutes, flashing and then going back to the start screen again.

Tags
kindle touch, restart