Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-28-2011, 05:57 PM   #1
gabriel.istrate
gabriel.istrate rocks like Gibraltar!gabriel.istrate rocks like Gibraltar!gabriel.istrate rocks like Gibraltar!gabriel.istrate rocks like Gibraltar!gabriel.istrate rocks like Gibraltar!gabriel.istrate rocks like Gibraltar!gabriel.istrate rocks like Gibraltar!gabriel.istrate rocks like Gibraltar!gabriel.istrate rocks like Gibraltar!gabriel.istrate rocks like Gibraltar!gabriel.istrate rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: none
Hanvon E920 starts selling in China

Hanvon E920 Hanvon E920 started selling in China, at a price of 2880
yuan (~313 euro), the same price as the Chinese price of
Onyx Boox M90:

See (with google translate/chrome)

http://www.imp3.net/10/show.php?itemid=28226

and any store on taobao.com (the first one of them, tmall.com reports having sold out a first batch)

http://s8.taobao.com/search?q=hanwan...297358_8935934

This is apparently NOT the color e-reader Hanvon promised, but its pearl screen version (adding yet another entry to the growing list of 9.7 readers)

Full specs are available here

http://shanghaihanwang.com/hw/static...435696FD9577B2

More interesting ones (to me)

- ARM Cortex 800 Mhz (same as Hanlin V90, better than current Boox M90/Pocketbook 90x)
- 200 dpi
- Hanlin seems to be boastful of its electromagnetic touchscreen technology, though
apparently multitouch features are left for future firmware updates.

I have no experience with Hanvon, and I could live without color for the moment, especially as
the initial price of the color version will probably be quite high. But given what I've seen in
Charbax's video on youtube (about Hanvon Wisereader N618)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_HfpTWLnvo

I hope E920 might finally be

- the first 9.7 reader really usable by scientists
- available in Europe at a price no higher than that of Boox M90.

apparently started selling in China, at a price of 2880 yuan (~313 euro), the same price as the Chinese price of Onyx Boox M90:

See (with google translate/chrome)

http://www.imp3.net/10/show.php?itemid=28226

and any store on taobao.com

http://s8.taobao.com/search?q=hanwan...297358_8935934

This is apparently NOT the color e-reader Hanvon promised, but its pearl screen version
(adding yet another entry to the growing list of 9.7 readers)

Full specs are available here

http://shanghaihanwang.com/hw/static...435696FD9577B2

More interesting ones (to me)

- ARM Cortex 800 Mhz (same as Hanlin V90, better than current Boox M90/Pocketbook 90x)
- 200 dpi
- Hanlin seems to be boastful of its electromagnetic touchscreen technology, though
apparently multitouch features are left for future firmware updates.

I have no experience with Hanvon, and I could live without color for the moment, especially as the initial price of the color version will probably be quite high. But given what I've seen in Charbax's video on youtube (about Hanvon Wisereader N618)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_HfpTWLnvo

I hope E920 might finally be

- the first 9.7 reader really usable by scientists
- available in Europe at a price no higher than that of Boox M90.
gabriel.istrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
thank you
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2011, 10:13 AM   #3
gabriel.istrate
gabriel.istrate rocks like Gibraltar!gabriel.istrate rocks like Gibraltar!gabriel.istrate rocks like Gibraltar!gabriel.istrate rocks like Gibraltar!gabriel.istrate rocks like Gibraltar!gabriel.istrate rocks like Gibraltar!gabriel.istrate rocks like Gibraltar!gabriel.istrate rocks like Gibraltar!gabriel.istrate rocks like Gibraltar!gabriel.istrate rocks like Gibraltar!gabriel.istrate rocks like Gibraltar!

You're welcome (and sorry for the slight messup in my message).

I found (with baidu) a video of the (pearl) E920 :

http://video.sina.com.cn/v/b/53854534-1769240357.html

It's from june (so it might be still a prototype; someone claims it's not really the E920 but the related HW N800 but I think he's wrong - based on button layout).

The video loaded kind of slow(ish) for me, but then that's what Downloadhelper is for

All I can say is: bring E920 to Europe (with English firmware ), price it sensibly and I'll probably buy it.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:47 PM   #4
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i was very impressed by it at CES even though it was clearly an early build of the firmware.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:16 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
i was very impressed by it at CES even though it was clearly an early build of the firmware.
Unfortunately, all too often we see readers with good hardware where the firmware never does come up to scratch. iRex devices were a classic example; the Pocketbook 302 another.

It's very, VERY dangerous to buy a reader with poor firmware in the hope that it'll be "fixed" in the future.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2011, 03:52 AM   #6
Whipet
Enthusiast
Whipet has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Bebook 1, Onyx Boox M90
Quote:
It's very, VERY dangerous to buy a reader with poor firmware in the hope that it'll be "fixed" in the future.
I think it depends on your requirements these days. The firmware on my M90 may not sparkle on the browser front but as a reader for technical stuff the large Pearl screen and options are very, very good and have ramped my productivity (compared to my old BeBook).
A purchase I am so glad I made, despite the cost.
Whipet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:56 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipet View Post
I think it depends on your requirements these days. The firmware on my M90 may not sparkle on the browser front but as a reader for technical stuff the large Pearl screen and options are very, very good and have ramped my productivity (compared to my old BeBook).
A purchase I am so glad I made, despite the cost.
As long as you're happy with it, that's fine. What I really meant was that you should never buy a device which is missing a feature that you really need, on the expectation that it will be added in a future firmware update. That way lies disappointment.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:07 AM   #8
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
according to the specs, its OS is WinCE 6.0.
No other alternatives?
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:31 AM   #9
Dulin's Books
Wizard

the reason for that is there is better /fuller support for pdf annotations.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:34 AM   #10
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

anyway, it sounds/looks very tempting.
Any word on when the device may see light in Europe or the States?
Old 09-05-2011, 07:13 AM   #11
jarreboum
jarreboum began at the beginning.

Device: Hanvon E920
I am VERY interested in having one, plus I know someone who can buy it and bring it back to me. However I can only find sellers on taobao, no "real" online shops. Do you know any?

I am concerned of if anything happen what would be the warranty? I can deal with ebayers in my country but china is far away and, well it's china, if they say they won't take my faulty device back there's nothing much I can do.

If I buy it in china, will Hanvon europe be able to provide the after sales service?
jarreboum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:41 PM   #12
gabriel.istrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLiNK View Post
anyway, it sounds/looks very tempting.
Any word on when the device may see light in Europe or the States?
Sorry, I am waiting for it just as much as you are, and have no connection with any company, just some willingness to search the web in languages I don't quite understand

Warranty: almost certainly this is not destined (yet) to the Western market, or
Hanvon would have it listed on its english language webpage. Will it come ? I don't know; this report sounds optimistic

http://www.macworld.com/article/1456...anvon_ces.html

but then it's from last year, and don't know how much can I trust it. I was trying (with my original posting) to arouse interest in the device/eventually get valuable info from other people, so that I can figure out whether it's worth
getting it myself

Chinese market: my understanding is that there are businesses (agents) whose sole purpose is help you buy from taobao for a commission; 5% seems typical. Note that taobao is closed (apparently) to the western world, as they use a nonstandard payment system; I believe though that these agents might be more reliable (it's their business), but don't take my word for it.

I guess I'll be waiting for a couple of months, still trying to figure out whether a cheap Android tablet + some readers (Moon+ and Mantano) don't make more
sense for my requirements.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:41 AM   #13
eLiNK
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel.istrate View Post
http://www.macworld.com/article/1456...anvon_ces.html

but then it's from last year, and don't know how much can I trust it. I was trying (with my original posting) to arouse interest in the device/eventually get valuable info from other people, so that I can figure out whether it's worth
getting it myself
yes, the article is not new and does not really give you a clue when we can expect the device in the Western part of the world.
And it makes little sense buying the device produced for the Chinese.

still, I'm hopeful. Hanvon has some distributors in Europe (at least quite a few in Germany -> http://www.hanvon-deutschland.de/html/endkunden.html).
Ectaco's jetBook color is based on the color version of Hanvon E920 and is now available in Russia and I understand in the States.

But I'm not really interested in the (first) color version.
Still, eagerly waiting for the reviews of the grayscale version of E920, which we can expect to have shortly from Chinese reviewers.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:24 AM   #14
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
I mailed german Hanvon distributor if and when E920 would be available here. Replied that it was unknown if and when...

We need to have this device here...
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:12 AM   #15
Raice
Raice got an A in P-Chem.Raice got an A in P-Chem.Raice got an A in P-Chem.Raice got an A in P-Chem.Raice got an A in P-Chem.Raice got an A in P-Chem.Raice got an A in P-Chem.Raice got an A in P-Chem.Raice got an A in P-Chem.Raice got an A in P-Chem.Raice got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Hanvon E920
Hi!

I'm Russian, currently live in China (Guangzhou). Some time ago I started seeking good e-ink reader. Yesterday I bought new E920. It's still rare even in China.
Reader is good, but have some problems with russian texts in epub books (already sent an email to techsupport). Finger touch is also not so good as one in smartphones, but pen-touch works fine.

If you have questions - please ask.

P.S. If you know how to bypass loading hanvon shell and boot into WinCE directly, engineering menu or calibration - please let me know.
Raice is offline   Reply With Quote