Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-11-2011, 11:37 AM   #1
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350,Sony PRS-950,Pocketbook 360+,B&N Nook Simple Touch Reader
How to control the font size during conversion?

Jackie, really? Right now, I don't have ANYTHING in the base font size field. I leave it blank, and, as I said, oftentimes (25% of the time or so), the font size in the main body of the text is something OTHER than 1em (which is what I find frustrating). Sometimes it's larger, sometimes smaller, thereby rendering my custom CSS different from the standard of 1em. Are you saying that if I put 12pt in the "Base Font Size" during the conversion, it will ALWAYS output 1em font size in the main body? I will test this when I get home with some of my problem conversions.
Japes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japes View Post
Are you saying that if I put 12pt in the "Base Font Size" during the conversion, it will ALWAYS output 1em font size in the main body? I will test this when I get home with some of my problem conversions.
That sounds correct. Since I have older eyes I use 16pt and end up consistently with 1.33em.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Jackie, really? Right now, I don't have ANYTHING in the base font size field. I leave it blank, and, as I said, oftentimes (25% of the time or so), the font size in the main body of the text is something OTHER than 1em (which is what I find frustrating). Sometimes it's larger, sometimes smaller, thereby rendering my custom CSS different from the standard of 1em. Are you saying that if I put 12pt in the "Base Font Size" during the conversion, it will ALWAYS output 1em font size in the main body? I will test this when I get home with some of my problem conversions.
I believe so, Japes, but my evidence is purely circumstantial (or do I mean anecdotal?). All my converted epubs end up with the body class font-size set to 1em when I use the following settings:
Disable font size rescaling: unchecked
Base font size: 12.0pt
Font size key: 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, 16, 20, 36
You may prove me wrong, of course
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nope. Doesn't work. I tested on a book with a font size of 1.29167em and, deleted the epub and reconverted (from Mobi...I have both the source and new files saved) using the 12pt base font size. When I opened up the new epub. Same font size of 1.29167em.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:49 PM   #5
Japes
Addict

Just confirmed with two OTHER books with similar problems and confirmed that, it certainly does NOT work to put a base font size in there. In fact, it has no effect whatsoever.
Advert
Old 07-11-2011, 12:54 PM   #6
Japes
Addict

After further inspection I'm seeing font sizes of x-small or small or large on the source files (Mobi), for the main body, which is probably why it's going to a default of something OTHER than 1em for the main body. I don't have any idea why anyone would do that, but, it appears to be so.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:18 PM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Japes,
Have sent PM to avoid taking this thread off topic
Old 07-11-2011, 02:36 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I believe so, Japes, but my evidence is purely circumstantial (or do I mean anecdotal?). All my converted epubs end up with the body class font-size set to 1em when I use the following settingsisable font size rescaling: unchecked
Base font size: 12.0pt
Font size key: 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, 16, 20, 36

You may prove me wrong, of course
Just confirmed with two OTHER books with similar problems and confirmed that, it certainly does NOT work to put a base font size in there. In fact, it has no effect whatsoever.
@Japes you have to do both Base font size and Font key size. After setting this as your preferences don't forget to restore defaults so the book doesn't use the previous settings used.

jackie_w's settings above should give you 1em for the main text.

My settings are:

Disable font size rescaling: unchecked
Base font size: 16.0pt
Font size key: 16,16,16,16,17.5,17.5,18,18

Not very varied but the 16 gives me a base of 1.33em.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:40 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Moderator Notice
Moved posts to individual thread so discussion can continue for the benefit of everyone without hijacking other thread.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:16 PM   #10
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks, Walt