Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-24-2011, 08:07 PM   #106
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looler View Post
Since I really liked Ender's Game I thought I'd give his new book Pathfinder a shot. It sucked. Just saying.
I've read a fair smattering of OSC, and I'd say his best and most original work was Pastwatch.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:16 PM   #107
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
A few more:

Kim Stanley Robinson's Red/Green/Blue Mars Series --- truly epic, and very well written.
Richard K. Morgan's Altered Carbon --- couldn't put it down, despite the "frank" language.
An as an off-topic bonus, two of the best SF short stories ever: The Last Question, by Isaac Asimov, and The Monster, by A.E. Van Vogt. What a great read!
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2011, 04:42 PM   #108
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
I've read a fair smattering of OSC, and I'd say his best and most original work was Pastwatch.
I loved Ender's Game and a few of his other books, but haven't been very satisfied with his recent work.

I haven't tried Pastwatch, though.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:27 PM   #109
richrock
Sony Reader Fanatic
richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Hmm. Spoilt for choice, making it all the harder.

My immediate 'gut instinct' favourite is Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. Must have read it about 20 times now.

EVE: The Empyrean Age is also a favourite. Never played the game, but love the concept, and this book's been read about 4-5 times. Tony Gonzales has a new one out next year and I'm very much looking forward to it.

There could be so many more, but these two stick in my mind as memorable and just fun to read.
richrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:55 AM   #110
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Dune
----------
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2011, 07:57 AM   #111
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
In the later books, he gives in, and there is no remorse, or even suggestion that he did anything wrong.

-Pie
10+ years of marriage does that to you. No other explanation needed.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:42 PM   #112
dengar
Connoisseur
dengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with others

Device: PW2, K3, Ipad 4, Kindle Fire
Enders's game
dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:41 PM   #113
TechnoCat
Zealot
TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: Kindle Fire
I'm not qualified to choose the "Best" SF novel... from the posts here, it looks like that means influential with gobs of social commentary.

But my favorite and most influential choice is the Hitchhiker's Guide series by Douglas Adams. And I actually reread it much more often than any of the others mentioned in this thread.

So why is it my best?
  • I reread it more often than all other SF books together. IMO, this should be a prime requirement for "good"; a book that has pretentions and commentary, but that you don't enjoy enough to read repeatedly, is not really a good book.
  • It has spawned more than any others I can think of - radio shows (okay, they spawned the books), movies, TV show, even a few towels.
  • At least in my world (computer science), it is probably the most likely single bit of culture to be known by almost everyone, including many people not born when it came out
  • How can you go wrong with "Don't Panic"?

Last edited by TechnoCat; 12-28-2011 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Added -why-
TechnoCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:09 PM   #114
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Armor by John Steakley is one. There are to many books ouot there that qualify for the title.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:29 PM   #115
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Armor by John Steakley is one. There are to many books ouot there that qualify for the title.
Apache
I think that's the second or third nomination, and I actually read the book on the basis of the earlier one(s), and I just don't get it. It was good pulp: enjoyable, action-packed, and wearing its themes on its sleeve. It was a fun read and I appreciate the recommendation, but how is above-average Starship Troopers fanfic anyone's "best of" anything?

As discussed above, we'd appreciate some exploration of why you consider it the best.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:49 PM   #116
bookhound78
bookhound78 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'm just starting to read sci-fi (my background is mostly horror), but so far my favorite has been Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick. I have a number of the books mentioned in this thread, so I know I have some good reading ahead of me.
bookhound78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:39 PM   #117
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookhound78 View Post
I'm just starting to read sci-fi (my background is mostly horror), but so far my favorite has been Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick. I have a number of the books mentioned in this thread, so I know I have some good reading ahead of me.
My absolute favorite is The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch. DADOES is a close second.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #118
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
One I really like is Warp Speed by Travis S. Taylor and its sequel The Quantum Connection. Both are available through Baen as free books which is how I came to read them.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:51 PM   #119
ametzler
Zealot
ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoleon View Post
A few more:
[...]
Richard K. Morgan's Altered Carbon --- couldn't put it down, despite the "frank" language.
[...]
Really a great book (the sequels aren't lame either): A nice innovative idea with the world to go with it. Lots of action without being a guilty pleasure.

I have been missing Neal Asher in this thread, most notably In the Line Polity. - The Fauna on Masada is hard to improve on.
ametzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:27 PM   #120
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
My favorites would have to be:
  • The Dune series by Frank Herbert
  • Raising the Stones by Sheri S. Tepper
  • City by Clifford Simak
  • Earth by David Brin

I'm not sure if it really fits into the science fiction genre, but:
  • Frankenstein by Mary Shelly
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sci-fi novel