Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-02-2011, 09:13 AM   #1
africalass
Connoisseur
africalass began at the beginning.

Location: Various - sometimes UK, sometimes South Africa, sometimes other countries in Europe / Africa
Device: Windows Laptop; Kindle Keyboard; Hudl2 (Android), iPhone
Accessing the most recently opened ebooks

Hi

is it possible to have the last book opened (any format, whether pdf, mobi etc..) at the top of the list? I constantly forget which book I'm reading! I'm guessing I would have to create a column of 'date last accessed' and then order it by that. Is such a thing possible? If so, I'll go through the tutorials on creating columns.

I have thought of simply tagging my current book with a specific tag, such as 'current', but wondered if there was something more user-friendly that wouldn't need me to tag / untag books each day.

Thanks for any advice.
africalass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I don't believe so, no. There is no updating in the Calibre database when you open a book to read it, so it has no way of sorting by that for you. Plus you would also get the complications of sorting conflicts if you have set the sort on startup tweak.

I think you should turn that "maybe kindle" in your profile into actually owning one and then you will certainly not miss using Calibre to actually read your books on
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2011, 10:42 AM   #3
africalass
Connoisseur

Location: Various - sometimes UK, sometimes South Africa, sometimes other countries in Europe / Africa
Thanks for letting me know!

I have bought the Kindle now, and I did see that it has a most recently opened feature on. Unfortunately, I've barely seen it since arrival as hubby found it more impressive than he had expected! So until my account grows financially, I'm sticking with Calibre and the laptop!

Sounds like it's a feature that can't be added for now, so will maybe try the tagging instead.

Cheers
Old 04-02-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
You could also try the free Kindle for PC/Mac app, it has the same most recent feature as the kindle.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:56 AM   #5
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ahh, the battle for the Kindle. My parents have exactly the same issue - my Dad bought one, but it arrived while I was visiting and he was away so I got Mum into using it. Now you can barely pry it out of her hands, so poor Dad is still borrowing books from the library until her birthday rolls around and he can justify an excuse for buying a second one...

The Kindle does have a most recently opened feature, unfortunately it is a pretty poor effort particularly if you like your books stored in collections. So what a lot of users do is create their own specially named collection on the Kindle so that it sorts to the top, and manually add their book into that collection while reading it and take it out when done.

So funnily enough you doing manual steps in Calibre like tagging is not dissimilar. If you only ever open/read one book at a time on the Kindle you don't need those steps as it will of course always open on the last page you were reading. But there is the risk when you proudly show it off to people and they open a few books it is easy to get lost...
Advert
Old 04-02-2011, 11:04 AM   #6
africalass
Connoisseur

Thanks peoples!

I recently sorted the Kindle books into collections - hadn't thought about it losing the most recent feature.

I have got Kindle for PC on the laptop, but it won't update as it doesn't have proxy authentication. Now that I actually have a Kindle it will let me transfer (and download from IE), but I find Calibre so much more usable in every way that I'll just tag (or put sticky notes on the laptop as my low-tech version).
Old 04-02-2011, 11:28 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
The Kindle does have a most recently opened feature, unfortunately it is a pretty poor effort particularly if you like your books stored in collections. So what a lot of users do is create their own specially named collection on the Kindle so that it sorts to the top, and manually add their book into that collection while reading it and take it out when done.
I'm glad I stumbled into a Sony 505 a couple of years back. Automated collections and since I installed PRS+ over a year ago a book history configurable to the last 50 books which, when opened, will pick up where I left off.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:50 PM   #8
africalass
Connoisseur

To be honest that sounds wonderful, wish it could be a feature on Kindle! I did have a quick look at the other ereaders, but being based in rural Africa with a very slow wi-fi (and that constant proxy) meant that in order to get new books I needed something that used 3G/Edge - and free (as data contracts out here are silly prices). Should I go back to UK I may consider a different reader. I am more than happy though in general - just little bits like this make you wonder.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:55 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
My PEz (Astak, Lbook or BeBook FW) shows/accesses the Last 8 books on a 'Recently Read' menu.
I have not figured the limit, but it seems to remember ANY books place (to the ADE Page marker).
Now Bookmarking is another issue
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:10 PM   #10
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@africalass - the free 3G was what mainly swung it for me, it is brilliant when travelling overseas particularly to being able to check mail without the hassles of finding a wireless point. To be fair everything other than collection handling I am happy enough with. I know some would like EPUB support but Calibre handles the MOBI conversions fine. The screen is outstanding and glare free, the lighted cover has worked really well and it has loads of storage. The keyboard could be improved but it does in a pinch and I only use it for web surfing anyway.

But how it handles collections/sorting is definitely in the amateur category compared to the Sony from what I have seen others describe. It could be fixed in firmware if they decide to do something about it of course. Whether they will bother and instead wait for a new model is another thing...
Old 04-03-2011, 01:37 AM   #11
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by africalass View Post
Hi

is it possible to have the last book opened (any format, whether pdf, mobi etc..) at the top of the list? I constantly forget which book I'm reading! I'm guessing I would have to create a column of 'date last accessed' and then order it by that. Is such a thing possible? If so, I'll go through the tutorials on creating columns.

I have thought of simply tagging my current book with a specific tag, such as 'current', but wondered if there was something more user-friendly that wouldn't need me to tag / untag books each day.

Thanks for any advice.
Hi africalass.
I might not understand your request, but here's my interpretation:
You want Calibre to show you, in a custom column, when you last opened a book on your K3 ?
If so, you can let Calibre "Fetch Annotations" from your K3, add whatever info you want into a custom column, and have Calibre sort by that column.
(If you have a K3, please update your account info ;-D)
Did some work on "read status", with great help from chaley,¨
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=137
This could be changed to fit your needs.
But maybe I misunderstood everything,
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:14 AM   #12
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@pchrist7 - the OP is not using their Kindle, they are just using the Calibre viewer to read their books. Fetch annotations is of no use to them in this situation unfortunately.