Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 02:47 PM   #1
frozenmama
frozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
Two Kobos, one computer?

I have a kobo wifi (though I don't utilize the wifi much) that I sync with my computer to get my books.

My husband really wants an ereader, and I'm considering getting him a kobo. Perhaps this is a silly question, but is it a problem to have two kobos sharing the same computer? I'm worried that our individual libraries might get jumbled up.

I could go to syncing wirelessly (or he could) if that made things easier.

Thanks for any suggestions/advice!
frozenmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:25 PM   #2
G0AT
Addict
G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you use Calibre to manage your libraries, its quite simple to switch from one to the other. Calibre can store different libraries in different places. The easiest way to do this is to have 2 separate user accounts on the computer, so whoever is logged in, Calibre will remember the locations of their individual libraries.
G0AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Looking at my own Kobo Desktop Edition installation, it looks like all the files are stored under my /Owner/ account, so I should be able to have a different Kobo account if I have a different user account on my computer. Of course I haven't tested this...
Perhaps JC or Sameer would verify this for us.

By the way, it appears that Adobe Digital Editions works this way also.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:23 AM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The only issue to be aware of when using one Kobo account is that whichever reader syncs last sets bookmarks and reading status on the kobo server, website, and desktop application. Two people syncing can be difficult if they are reading the same book at the same time. In our house, my husband syncs and I use Calibre or ADE--no issues. Both of you should use the same ADE account, btw, so there are no problems with locked books.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
frozenmama
frozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notes

Hmmm. It appears like I need to do a bit of research.. I don't know anything about ADE or Calibre. I took my Kobo out of the box, plugged it in, and have been pleased with the software it came with for my library.

Thanks for the comments, everyone.
frozenmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
It will work as long as when your both reading the same book you don't sync with the same acount

P.S I don't really like calibre, but some like it
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:16 PM   #7
fuzzyqball
fuzzyqball began at the beginning.

Seems to me that if you have separate accounts on the computer that there should be no problem.
fuzzyqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:05 PM   #8
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyqball View Post
Seems to me that if you have separate accounts on the computer that there should be no problem.
Yes but then you would have to buy the book twice, if you both wanted to read the same book. So while reading the same book I just wouldn't sync.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:02 PM   #9
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
I have two kobos one account

My wife and I each have a Kobo (1rst Gens) and share one account. We've been doing it since August and wouldn't consider anything else. Our reading preferences are quite different but occasionally overlap.

Sideloaded books without DRM are simple because I either just drag and drop or use Calibre. Books from Kobo with DRM I usually upload to one Kobo with ADE and the other with the desktop (one of us preferes a cover to all the books the other doesn't care). All in all very simple.
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote