Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-23-2010, 09:06 PM   #1
doctj
Enthusiast
doctj began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-950, HP Touchpad
Talking Got a PRS-950 today

Picked it up at one of the local Best Buys, there were 2 in stock and 2 at another 15 min drive from my house. So far I've loaded some pdfs on it and it's handled them with aplomb. The user interface is light years ahead of the Kobo, love the settings to adjust the page either with zooming or adjusting text size, with reflow in both instances.
Build quality is excellent but is a little heavier than the Kobo probably because of the 3g antenna. Pricey, but looks like it will be a keeper till 9 in color displays are mainstream I think for pdf's the larger the screen the better.
I used calibre to transfer books, haven't used the wireless option yet, didn't really buy it for that but for screen size.
doctj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:47 PM   #2
hopkinsenglish
Connoisseur
hopkinsenglish began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Can you post some pics for us?
hopkinsenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2010, 10:17 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Might be hard as a vampire to photograph--not show up in the photos.

The guy has 3 frigging posts. That and the fact that Sony still hasn't released the 950 (still says pre-order on their website) makes me a skeptic!

Unless of course he bought a 900 and doesn't know the difference.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-23-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:14 AM   #4
doctj
Enthusiast
doctj began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-950, HP Touchpad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Might be hard as a vampire to photograph--not show up in the photos.

The guy has 3 frigging posts. That and the fact that Sony still hasn't released the 950 (still says pre-order on their website) makes me a skeptic!

Unless of course he bought a 900 and doesn't know the difference.
Gasp!You guys jealous cos the new kid on the block's got the latest toy? Yes I do know the difference between a 900 and 950. Unfortunately I can't take any macro photos as my digicam is out of commision. You'll have to make do with these webcam pics which I couldn't get to focus any better than that. If there's anything specific you want me to take a photo of,I'll do it to the best of my webcam's limitations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2.jpg
Views:	825
Size:	345.2 KB
ID:	60142   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 3.jpg
Views:	989
Size:	394.3 KB
ID:	60143   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 4.jpg
Views:	998
Size:	372.3 KB
ID:	60144   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 5.jpg
Views:	841
Size:	344.4 KB
ID:	60145  
doctj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:47 AM   #5
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Congratulations! I'm jealous...but in a good way, LOL.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2010, 02:50 AM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
How much did it cost you--I know the Kobo WiFi is $139 US/ $149 CAD. The 6 inch new Sony is $229 CAD in Canada, so I imagine we are talking an even bigger difference in price.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:59 AM   #7
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
Could you post the user guide ? I couldn't find it on sonystyle (maybe I missed it). I'm mostly interested in what the wifi connection allows : for example, can you search a word on wikipedia from a text you're reading, like with the Kindle ?
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:40 AM   #8
eriksnoopy
Connoisseur
eriksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony PRS-950 (broken screen) kobo aura hd
wow, the man is not bluffing (Y) kinda jealous here too, in a good way besides the screen, battery life and connectivity, is there anything else different from the 650
eriksnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:19 AM   #9
hopkinsenglish
Connoisseur
hopkinsenglish began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctj View Post
Picked it up at one of the local Best Buys, there were 2 in stock and 2 at another 15 min drive from my house. So far I've loaded some pdfs on it and it's handled them with aplomb. The user interface is light years ahead of the Kobo, love the settings to adjust the page either with zooming or adjusting text size, with reflow in both instances.
Build quality is excellent but is a little heavier than the Kobo probably because of the 3g antenna. Pricey, but looks like it will be a keeper till 9 in color displays are mainstream I think for pdf's the larger the screen the better.
I used calibre to transfer books, haven't used the wireless option yet, didn't really buy it for that but for screen size.
Crazy. In what city was the Best Buy located?
hopkinsenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:37 AM   #10
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papi View Post
Could you post the user guide ? I couldn't find it on sonystyle (maybe I missed it). I'm mostly interested in what the wifi connection allows : for example, can you search a word on wikipedia from a text you're reading, like with the Kindle ?
PRS-950 manual and specs are available here.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:23 AM   #11
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
PRS-950 manual and specs are available here.
Thanks ! Don't know how I missed it. So yes, it does offer the possibility to search a word in wikipedia.
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:38 AM   #12
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
I just checked the stock at the local Best Buys through their website..and the 950 is supposed to be in stores right now! I may just take a little ride this afternoon and use that BB gift card I got for trading in my replacement Nook on a new 950.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:03 AM   #13
pinnacle
pinnacle began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, Kindle 3, Sony PRS 950, KFire (preordered)
I just checked the website and it looks like a couple of the stores in my area have the PRS-950. It is surprising that some stores have the product before Sony has started to ship it to it's customers.
pinnacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:43 AM   #14
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Wow, I am green with envy
What extras did the 950 come with, if any? Covers, adapters...?
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:54 AM   #15
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctj View Post
Gasp!You guys jealous cos the new kid on the block's got the latest toy? Yes I do know the difference between a 900 and 950. Unfortunately I can't take any macro photos as my digicam is out of commision. You'll have to make do with these webcam pics which I couldn't get to focus any better than that. If there's anything specific you want me to take a photo of,I'll do it to the best of my webcam's limitations.
Oh god! I am jealous!
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote