Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-26-2012, 07:29 AM   #211
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
comment : license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain/
Duration: 00:47:37.25, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 579 kb/s
Stream #0.0(und): Video: h264 (Constrained Baseline), yuv420p, 320x240 [PAR 1:1 DAR 4:3], 512 kb/s, 24 fps, 24 tbr, 24 tbn, 48 tbc
Metadata:
creation_time : 1970-01-01 00:00:00
Stream #0.1(und): Audio: aac, 32000 Hz, stereo, s16, 63 kb/s
Metadata:
Output #0, s16le, to 'pipe:':
Metadata:
major_brand : isom
minor_version : 512
compatible_brands: mp41
title : Internet Governance Raw Footage: OLPC Press Conference - http://www.archive.org/details/igove...tage_OLPC_PR_1
date : 2005
comment : license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain/
encoder : Lavf53.5.0
Stream #0.0(und): Audio: pcm_s16le, 32000 Hz, stereo, s16, 1024 kb/s
Metadata:
Stream mapping:
Stream #0.1 -> #0.0
Press [q] to stop, [?] for help
Playing raw data 'stdin' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 32000 Hz, Stereo
[root@kindle root]# ffmpeg -i http://bit.ly/SztbrN -acodec pcm_s16le -r 32000 -f s16le - | aplay -r 32000 -f S16_LE -c 2

As an aside: that handles the audio for about 20% of the processor in real-time.
Cvm want's about 4% on average.

Should really get an idea of the kind of footprint the standard kernel leaves us and it's approximate processor service debt.

Thumb in the air I would say 6% is service debt.

that's really not so bad: wifi-streaming, parsing, demuxxing, re-encoding and streaming to hardware with book garbage roaming in the mire for around a quarter of the processor... makes my vision of a kindle synth with visual feedback a hell of a lot more realistic than on a 3.

perhaps GM will has some insight (incite? ) on the whole ffmpeg, raw2gmv, gmplay "Trinity".

Last edited by twobob; 09-26-2012 at 09:59 AM. Reason: url was wrong (made it shorter now bit.ly/SztbrN)
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #212
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
You do not need to set the framerate in ffmpeg unless piping to a file. The gmplay code already limits the framerate to 130ms/frame, and that rate propagates up the chain to ffmpeg which automagically adapts to the ~7.7 FPS speed.

Perhaps limiting the framerate in two places in the chain is the problem? I think I published the commands I used, somewhere in this thread...

The K3 can barely play a 640x480 divx in real time using ffmpeg. A K4 or K5 can even decode and play 1080p streams without a problem. At least my static-linked ffmpeg did that... The K3 spends almost all its time inside the eink update in the system code. The K4 and K5 spend much less time in eink updates.

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-26-2012 at 09:00 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:47 AM   #213
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yeah this is for the 5. Apologies for now being clear on that.
I'm all about getting it "working solid", then worry about the 3.

That will be an exercise in "what can work" rather than "how can it work"

PPOO has: Device: Kindle Touch

So I was working on that assumption. I vaguely recall something about piping optimisation that I'll probably go hunt up. Thanks GM
Old 10-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #214
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just played clock.gmv.gz on my paperwhite using gmplay-1.5a from the first post. It works great!

Due to the increased screen size, the video has a white border above it and to the right.

The next version will center it and use a black border just like it now does for the DX and DXG.

I tried my version that plays the "noisy rhythms" sound demo while playing video, but it fails with "error while loading shared libraries: libasound.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory", which is hardly surprising because the Paperwhite does not support sound (yet).

I plan to add two sound versions to the Paperwhite. One uses USB OTG with a USB sound stick ($0.99USD shipped from China eBay stores). The other method will PWM the power LED, so a photocell driving amplified speakers should work okay for sound output. I already tested driving the power LED using a script, but the best I could do is a 6500Hz square wave. I am hoping to go much faster using a C program. Even if we cannot go that fast, we can at least do synthesized "chiptunes" sound.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:27 PM   #215
geekmaster

Sadly, the newtrix demo does not work on the Paperwhite. I will have to backport the gmplay eink support back to the older demos to get them working on the Paperwhite.

I guess I lucked out with my gmplay eink code, such that it supports the Paperwhite with no changes. Cool...

So now we have two old hacks that work on the Paperwhite. USBNet root shell, and the geekmaster kindle video player. I have clock.gmv.gz playing as I type this. It looks great with the light turned up high.

Has anybody gotten other apps working on the Paperwhite?
Old 10-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #216
twobob

excellent good to see the likely route for FPS is open on the new device.
And video streaming, video conferencing, Proper movies (with the OTG hack)
Solid work. exciting pipeline
Old 10-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #217
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
excellent good to see the likely route for FPS is open on the new device.
And video streaming, video conferencing, Proper movies (with the OTG hack)
Solid work. exciting pipeline
Adding USB OTG sound may require a custom kernel, and I was planning to use kexec to launch that from the USB drive. But earlier testing showed that kexec does not work on the Paperwhite. I was trying to boot the diags partition with kexec.

Actually flashing a custom kernel will probably make updates fail, and could have other risks. I want to use kexec for loading a sound-ready kernel. Can we fix the kexec problem?
Old 10-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #218
twobob

hmm. i can provide the kexec but testing will have be US side for the right now. will have a play on the 5 though.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #219
geekmaster

The kexec extracted from the ARM debian package already works fine on the K5, but not on the PW. So I am not sure that your offer will help, but it is worth a try anyway...
Old 10-08-2012, 10:12 PM   #220
geekmaster

Here is video playing on the new eink panel used in the Paperwhite (running in a Freescale i.MX50 EVK Development kit):

They are only doing about 5 FPS, like the video player that was running on the Nook Simple Touch. My gmplay "overclocks" the eink up to 7.7 FPS (limited by the K3). I can go a lot faster on the K4/K5, but no need...

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-08-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:36 AM   #221
twobob

nice. : ) just scratching the surface there. Bit of Big Buck Bunny

Very smooth. Having seen that one run with sound on an actual device in front of me, I can confirm eink movies are awesome.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:09 PM   #222
twobob

This code would fit neatly into Xephyr. Any tips on that.

I know you are not keen building other peoples code but xorg server I figured you probably have built more than one or two of them in your day anyways.

So yeah. Tips gratefully accepted as ever.

(bit of background https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=134 and https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=135 )

Curse my dimwit nature : )
Old 11-25-2012, 07:56 AM   #223
smartgenes
smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle 3
wow

Wow, this is amazing and I definitely support & congratulate the project to stream. The video looks incredible considering what my expectations were
smartgenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #224
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartgenes View Post
Wow, this is amazing and I definitely support & congratulate the project to stream. The video looks incredible considering what my expectations were
Thanks. On the DXG the video only plays about 1.5 FPS, but I have figured out how to get a smaller video window on a DXG to play a LOT faster. Just need time to work on it...

And I want time to complete my 32-bit parallel-dither code too...
Old 11-25-2012, 09:36 PM   #225
twobob

Okay... So I got buildroot to finally agree that is was "Okay" to build Xephyr for the Kindle 3. Helpful having something that doesn't have to live in a chroot.

That is done.

Xephyr for the 3 built (only requires one extra lib libXv.so.1)

So I am about amending what is there to reflect your render path.

As this is the thread about that (library and it's usage) hope you don't mind some noise...

(other refs for future ref)
reminder of example runtime Xvfb config and friends without Xephyr https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=60

similar including debian
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=51

GM ref on using a simple lookup to manage dithering
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=110
(just to help get our heads in the game)

GM Palpump
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2048756

kindlevncviewer's CLI switches
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=57

Alternate citings
Concepts, sources and discussions
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=132
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=134
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=137

Anyways. apologies for the noise. looked like the best place to tag the refs.

If I get something happening I will let you know.

Last edited by twobob; 11-25-2012 at 09:58 PM. Reason: refs