Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #9346
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I thought it was a good set of questions FWIW; certainly more interesting than a bunch of mathematical formulae
But, but, but.... mathematical formulae are fun!

But I have put the working-out bit into spoiler tags.

Last edited by pdurrant; 09-27-2012 at 01:54 PM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #9347
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
1. Back in the day when they played two single matches, one player beat the Golden Bear in two straight matches, despite Jack Nicklaus specifically requesting a re-match. Who was that player?
Brian Barnes and he didn't have ice tea in his flask.
2. Who was the first player, since becoming US vs Europe to take all available 5 points in a Ryder Cup?
Larry Nelson, yet he still hasn't captained a US team. Point for Fbone
3. Who on the European team was voted out by his team mates because he had played most of his tournmaents outside Europe?
Severiano Ballesteros, yes the stalwart of European competitiveness in Ryder Cup was voted out of the team because he preferred to play in the US where purses were much larger. Point for Fbone
4. The first European win on US soil came after a US player was so disgusted with his putting that he broke the shaft of his putter in disgust and had to putt with a 1 iron. Who got so maddenly angry?
Gentle Ben Crenshaw, who knew so much anger boiled under the surface. Point for Fbone.
5. Who was the oldest player in the Ryder Cup and how old was he when he played?
Raymond Floyd at 51, Not a bad accomplishment to play the Senior Tour and Ryder Cup. Points for Fbone.
6. What golf course has hosted the most Ryder Cups?
Belfry, despite hosting all those Ryder Cups it still isn't considered one of the great courses, but Seve always went for the green on the par 4 tenth hole. Point for Bilbo1967.
7. What American player holds the record for most lost points for his team?
Phil Mickelson. He obviously has problems with match play despite his magical touch around the greens. Point for Fbone
8. In 2002 Phil Mickelson lost his singles match to a European, wht is his name?
Phillip Price. Never heard of again. Fbone one point
9. What was his world ranking at the time?
119th, no longer even on OWGR.

Last edited by Kumabjorn; 09-27-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:30 PM   #9348
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Well I never, I would never have guessed Seve as the answer to number 3.

And, to be fair to Phil Mickleson, I think he's probably played more matches than any other American so is bound to have lost more than most. I would guess that his win percentage isn't as bad as many others.

Thanks Kumabjorn.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #9349
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

His record is 11 wins, 17 loses and 6 ties.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #9350
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
His record is 11 wins, 17 loses and 6 ties.
So, quick mental calculation, about 43-44% win record. Not great, but I bet there are a number of Americans worse in the modern era.

I have a bit of a soft spot for Phil. He always comes across as an awfully amiable bloke.

ETA. Probably more like 41%, with more thought!
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #9351
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

I'm a great fan of Phil too. His charity work for education is amazing, but considering his abilities as a golfer you kind of expect him to have a better Ryder Cup record. His game is sort of taylor made (pun intended) for match play.
Well, this concludes the golf portion of Quiz. Over to our Master (yet another pun) Fbone on the 18th green.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:46 PM   #9352
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Well done on my question to both Daithi and pdurrant, and both correct (pdurrant arrived at the correct general formula in n). I wondered if anyone would use a computer program. I arrived at the same general formula in n by computing the formula for the sum from j=1 to j=n of j(n+1-j).

Those of us with mathematical minds think of all sorts of mathematical aspects of things. Like the fact that again for a generalization to n days, g(k) is the total number of gifts given of the type first given on day k. g(k) = k(n+1-k). This means that there will be a day or two days (dealing with integers, not a continuous function) where g(k) will reach a maximum; that being (n+1)/2. So for the Twelve Days of Christmas at total of 42 Geese-a-Laying will be given, 42 Swans-a-Swimming, but 40 Gold Rings and 40 Maids-a-Milking.

I know nothing about golf, except Tiger Woods is very good at golf and very bad at relationships with women. So onto Fbone with a good question then?
Old 09-27-2012, 07:11 PM   #9353
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
How many total gifts are given in the song, "The Twelve Days of Christmas?"
I know this is an old question, and more importently it's , but I really need to get this off my chest, so here comes...

<rant>
It's not christmas yet. Every year we see christmas season start earlier and earlier. Can we declare mobileread to be christmas-free zone, at least 'till December? Please?
</rant>

It's much nicer with Twelwe days of Star Trek instead...

As long as I can keep the Enterprise and 7 of 9, the rest of you can keep the rest of the gifts

Make it so
Beam me up, Scotty

Last edited by Iznogood; 09-27-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:40 PM   #9354
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Ok, since we have a few mathematicians present here is another math quiz:

During a recent census, a man told the census taker that he had 3 children.
When asked their ages, he replied, "The product of their ages is 72."
"The sum of their ages is the same as my house number."
The census taker ran to the door and looked at the house number.
"I still can't tell," she complained.
"Oh, that's right. I forgot to tell you that the oldest one likes apple pie."
The census taker promptly wrote down the ages of the three children.
How old are they?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:28 PM   #9355
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Since there are only a few ways to multiply three numbers and get 72, we have the following possibilities:
Code:
Child1 Child2 Child3 Sum of ages
2      2      18     22
2      3      12     17
2      6      6      14
2      4      9      15
3      3      8      14
3      4      6      13
I don't think I missed out some possible combinations.

Since knowing the sum of the ages did not provide an answer to the census taker, the sum of ages must have been 14 (it's the non-unique occurrance of the sums).
Since the father mentiones "the oldest" in singular form, the possibility of 2+6+6 is out, since it would have left the sensus taker with two oldest. There must therefore be twins at age of three, and one eight-year old.
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:53 PM   #9356
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Mods... can we please have an emoticon for my jaw dropping in amazement?
How can people's minds function like this??????
Simply brilliant.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:37 PM   #9357
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by norway1456 View Post
Since there are only a few ways to multiply three numbers and get 72, we have the following possibilities:
Code:
Child1 Child2 Child3 Sum of ages
2      2      18     22
2      3      12     17
2      6      6      14
2      4      9      15
3      3      8      14
3      4      6      13
I don't think I missed out some possible combinations.

Since knowing the sum of the ages did not provide an answer to the census taker, the sum of ages must have been 14 (it's the non-unique occurrance of the sums).
Since the father mentiones "the oldest" in singular form, the possibility of 2+6+6 is out, since it would have left the sensus taker with two oldest. There must therefore be twins at age of three, and one eight-year old.
Well done!

Your turn for the next question.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:23 AM   #9358
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Simply brilliant.

Stitchawl
I'll second that suggestion!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:33 AM   #9359
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Simply brilliant.
Yep! Although in this case my jaw is still dropped in amazament because of Daithi's and pdurrant's abilities and explanations in the previous math question.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:41 AM   #9360
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Only in math problems can you buy 60 cantaloupes and nobody asks what the hell is wrong with you...

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote