Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-10-2012, 10:03 AM   #1
sohmc
sohmc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Problem unbricking my Kindle Touch

Good morning everyone!

My first post, unfortunately, is to ask for help. :-( I'm pretty experienced in linux (run my own web host, have my own home media server, etc) so I decided to play around with my rooted/jailbroken kindle.

I noticed that the actual kindle application is a java package that loads a bunch of libraries from /opt/something (the full directory escapes me right now, but it's pretty obvious when you ls the directory).

TL;DL version: I decided to rename a few of the files to see how the kindle would react.

Full version: I noticed that the kindle application is bootstrapped within /etc/init/framework where it does a find on all .jar files within specific directories. I removed the safest files I could think of (the ads) that would not adversely affect the actual application. NOTE THAT I WAS NOT ATTEMPTING TO REMOVE ADVERTISING! White-hatting only. When I rebooted, I got an error saying that the selected application could not be started.

Thinking that usbnetwork was still on, I tried to ssh back in to rename the files back but no luck. I googled various ways to unbrick and found this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169645

Geekmaster provides a lot of insight but I'm still a bit confused. I am successfully able to boot my kindle into diag mode using MfgTool (I had to dust off a windows machine I had laying around). I was unable to locate usbnetwork drivers for windows xp so I just plugged the kindle into my Mac which recognized the usbnetwork immediately. I could start usbnetwork and could successfully ping the kindle, but could not ssh. I got a connection refused.

What I don't understand is the fastboot process. On the MfgTool, there is a fastboot option. Using this doesn't do anything to the Kindle (at least from what I can tell). I downloaded the image provided (mmcblk0p2_ssh.img.gz) and unzipped it but unsure how to actually load this image.

I haven't yet plugged the kindle into my linux machine, primarily because my only linux machine is a server. I'm hoping that a Live-CD will be able to do the job. If not, I'll have to spend some time in the basement utility closet.

Can anyone provide further guidance on actually activating fastboot? Is fastboot just a utility that flashes the kindle, like dd in linux? Or is fastboot more of an adjective that describes an action?

Thanks for your help thus far!
sohmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #2
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 4 non-touch
Quote:
Is fastboot just a utility that flashes the kindle, like dd in linux?
Kind of. It can flash memory blocks and read and write "variables", like bootmode or serial.

As you say you are experienced linux user, I believe you will figure out what to do from this thread (including way how to load SSH diags image):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170929

Quote:
Using this doesn't do anything to the Kindle (at least from what I can tell).
There is nothing change on display, when Kindle is in fastboot mode, but it works.
Also don't forget to run fastboot tool under sudo.

Last edited by hostar; 04-10-2012 at 11:29 AM.
hostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
The "simple debricking" short summary: Set fastboot mode with MfgTool (or diags), fastboot flash diags image that has SSH pre-installed, use diags SSH to "dd" main partition image to /dev/mmcblk0p1, set bootmode to main, and reboot.

MfgTool does not change the bootmode. It just forces a direct boot (even on kindles that cannot boot diags). Unplugging the kindle USB or resetting the USB port by rebooting the host PC drops the kindle out of fastboot mode. There is now a fastboot for windows so you can do it all from windows.

Or you can do it without MfgTool (or windows) IF you have diags access. Set fastboot mode (permanently until you change it with the fastboot tool) from diags (exit menu / install fastboot package). Then you can use any fastboot (windows / mac / linux).

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-10-2012 at 12:25 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
sohmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostar View Post
As you say you are experienced linux user, I believe you will figure out what to do from this thread (including way how to load SSH diags image):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170929
To a point. The part that I don't get is this part:
Quote:
Follow the instructions in the "Select Boot" thread to get your bricked kindle into fastboot mode.

In fastboot mode, do:
gunzip mmcblk0p2.img.gz
sudo ./fastboot flash diags mmcblk0p2.img
I don't know how to "get my bricked kindle into fastboot mode". After that, everything else makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Or you can do it without MfgTool (or windows) IF you have diags access. Set fastboot mode (permanently until you change it with the fastboot tool) from diags (exit menu / install fastboot package). Then you can use any fastboot (windows / mac / linux).
I haven't reviewed the fastboot for mac/windows source code but I assume it contains some sort of magic to figure out what device the kindle is using.

Most of the command examples I've seen seem to just have fastboot cmd something with no indication of device location or name.

thanks!

Last edited by sohmc; 04-10-2012 at 04:09 PM. Reason: not sure why my previous post didn't show
Old 04-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #5
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohmc View Post
To a point. The part that I don't get is this part:

I don't know how to "get my bricked kindle into fastboot mode". After that, everything else makes sense.

I haven't reviewed the fastboot for mac/windows source code but I assume it contains some sort of magic to figure out what device the kindle is using.

Most of the command examples I've seen seem to just have fastboot cmd something with no indication of device location or name.

thanks!
If you can see the kindle as a USB drive, you can save a file ENABLE_DIAGS on it and reboot to diagnostics mode. In that menu, there is an "Exit" option that contains "Install fastboot package" (or something like that). That enables fastboot, which changes the kindle USB VID/PID to 0x1949/0xD0D0, which is the USB device that fastboot waits to see.

If you cannot get to diags, then you can go directly to fastboot mode with MfgTool (for windows), but fastboot mode will drop out if the USB connection gets disconnected or reset.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
sohmc

Quote:
In that menu, there is an "Exit" option that contains "Install fastboot package" (or something like that).
Gotcha. Doing this allowed me to run fastboot. It initially didn't reboot. I had to unplug the cable and had to plug it back into my Windows machine in order to get it to reboot. Once it did, it flash back to diagnostics mode where I N) U) Z) X) and was able to successfully ssh into the kindle. Then I mounted the mmc partition and moved the files back and all was restored.

It was a bit of touch-and-go. The Kindle and drained the battery and refused to reboot. I had to remove the battery, which was a bit involved. I couldn't find any articles about how to remove it but will post something on ifixit.com with pictures and stuff.

But for those of you that ABSOLUTELY NEED TO DO THIS, you need to take a spludger and lift the bottom of the back panel. It's a bit tough, you can safely force it (within reason of course). Once done, you can slide the back panel down with a bit of effort.

Thanks again everyone, but especially to geekmaster!
Old 04-16-2012, 08:03 AM   #7
tamerlaha
tamerlaha began at the beginning.

Flash a diaf partiotion

Hi.
I try to unbrick my Touch, i flash diag partition by fastboot, but my book doesnt boot at diag mode - freez at "kindle tree". I try different *.img, and nothing help me to boot dfag mode any suggestions?
tamerlaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:49 AM   #8
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamerlaha View Post
Hi.
I try to unbrick my Touch, i flash diag partition by fastboot, but my book doesnt boot at diag mode - freez at "kindle tree". I try different *.img, and nothing help me to boot dfag mode any suggestions?
in fastboot, do:

fastboot setvar bootmode diags

of use MfgTool to boot to diags.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:30 AM   #9
tamerlaha
tamerlaha began at the beginning.

Quote:
in fastboot, do:

fastboot setvar bootmode diags

of use MfgTool to boot to diags.
Thanks for your reply.
i'm tried this, it's freeze up at boot with black screen and one times with other *.img freezed with "kindle tree".

Im sorry! im make a duplicate message at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...kernel&page=11
tamerlaha is offline   Reply With Quote