Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 08-06-2011, 11:58 AM   #121
capnm
Groupie
capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noughty View Post
Also maybe it could search more by size? Calibre shows only 0,X MB. If it showed it more detail in KB it would be easier to see if it is a dupe format.
I'll repeat my comment above, the Count Pages plugin can be really useful in identifying duplicates, similar to your idea about size, but better.

As to the rest, they really sound like jobs for the Mark I eyeball
capnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:13 PM   #122
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
But it only counts epub and mobi books. And I mostly have pdf as before calibre integrated reader I found it best for me. So now my library has lots of old pdfs.
I need to find dupes among pdfs (like is it a dupe or a converted version of an original)
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:22 PM   #123
capnm
Groupie
capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
Quote:
So now my library has lots of old pdfs.
I need to find dupes among pdfs (like is it a dupe or a converted version of an original)
Ouch.

1) Find Duplicates isn't going to be looking inside any files. It is a tool to analyze the metadata stored in the Calibre database to identify possible duplicates -- leaving content analysis up to you.

2) For the most part, Calibre developers are only minimally interested in supporting pdfs since pdf is an extraordinarily unfriendly format to work with.

Sorry, I know these are not very helpful comments
capnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:50 AM   #124
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
As a solution I made a new library for Dupes. I leave one book in my main library and transfer another to Dupes library. This way there is no danger of deleting an original or a different copy and it doesn't mess up my library. Books don't take up much place so deleting dupes ain't so important as them not messing with your library.

And now I do hate pdf too. Impossible to count pages, hard to convert (author,title remains in every page for epubs etc.)

Thanks for the help
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:46 AM   #125
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
And now I do hate pdf too. Impossible to count pages, hard to convert (author,title remains in every page for epubs etc.)
I agree, but PDF to ePub only put the author,title on every page if these things exist in the PDF, which most purchased PDFs do have.

My library currently consists of 8600 ePubs and 5 PDFs.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:02 AM   #126
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Plugin starts eating huge amounts of memory

I found out that using 'Soundex' for the Title and 'Ignore' for the Author in an Author/Title duplicate search doesn't work well. With my library (~40K books) the plugin starts eating memory like mad, in the end crashing Calibre when it runs out, which happens in half a minute or less (this on a 2.4GHz Corei5 with 2GB RAM + the same VM)

It doesn't do this when using Soundex for both, or indeed any other combo I have tried (mostly Fuzzy/Fuzzy or Fuzzy/Ignore) or when using ISBN matching.

Those all work just fine, and have weeded out literally thousands of dups (probably close to 4000) from the mess that was my ebook collection
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:19 PM   #127
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Hi Kiwidude:

I ran into some files that seem to have the author name reversed in my db, such as Brockmann Suzanne and Suzanne Brockmann, is there any way to use the plugin to find these files??

Nyn
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:23 PM   #128
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@Nyn - if you do an "Ignore Title, Similar Author" search that should help you find those.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:07 PM   #129
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@Nyn - if you do an "Ignore Title, Similar Author" search that should help you find those.
Thanks, I will try that.

It worked great, it found 4 more authors like that. Thanks again.

Nyn

Last edited by nynaevelan; 08-16-2011 at 06:18 PM. Reason: more info
Old 08-17-2011, 05:32 AM   #130
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Yep, that catches lots of variant spellings (initials with or without periods, initials vs. full first names, things like that). I spent yesterday morning going through the output of that exact search standardizing my authors...

Thanks for a great plugin!
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:51 PM   #131
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Hi Kiwidude:

Me again, I am not sure if this should be put here or in the Quality Check plugin. But, I was wondering if it would not be too difficult to add a check that looks for series with similar titles, to ensure that the series are named correctly.

Nyn
Old 08-20-2011, 07:46 PM   #132
drMerry
Addict
drMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmos

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
Hi Kiwidude:

Me again, I am not sure if this should be put here or in the Quality Check plugin. But, I was wondering if it would not be too difficult to add a check that looks for series with similar titles, to ensure that the series are named correctly.

Nyn
That would be a great option indeed, for the quality check.
drMerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:21 PM   #133
Philosopher
Connoisseur
Philosopher began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
This is certainly one of the most useful and significant plugins - and I am glad it is set to become a part of the main program. Especially the ability to find duplicates by the file itself - and not just duplicate names. That is very powerful and useful.

I do have one suggestion - although I am not sure if it is possible (it seems like it should be) - about how to make it even better.

I would really like to be able to limit my checking for duplicates, at times, to a selected set of books - rather than the entire library.

This would especially be useful in order to focus on cleaning up one area of my library. One thing I should note - is that I do keep (intentionally) multiple copies of some books. Those copies, however, different in the file (not the name/identity). So I often wind up with multiple copies of the same file by accident - and like to routinely clean that up. (This is especially the case as I build the library from my files - often times having old drives contents dumped in - to find out what is not there and what is duplicated).
Philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:26 PM   #134
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@Philosopher - you can do this already. Find Duplicates will respect any search restriction you have put in place. So do a search to bring back just the subset of books you are interested in. Then in the Restriction dropdown on the top left, select "*Current Search". Now if you use Find Duplicates (or indeed the Quality Check plugin as well) all operations are limited to just those books. When you are finished, clear the search restriction in the restriction dropdown to go back to your full library.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:01 PM   #135
Philosopher
Connoisseur
Philosopher began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
OK - didn't realize that. But that is because I tried it using the User Category to select the group - and it didn't seem to restrict it. I'll have to go back and see the difference. Thanks. (I thought that the User Category effectively does a search itself - but perhaps there is something different).
Philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cross library duplicates, in library duplicates